Toast TLR calls for vote on guernsey - update: Members vote for Premiership/Fitzroy Lion - it's back baby!

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont want to get into the complexities of merger agreements, jumper clashes etc etc. IMO this is/was a great football jumper. It would be great to see it rolled out again every couple of years (not so hot on the other old Bears jumpers).
BrisbaneHeritage2004.jpg

And as someon who doesnt get time to watch all the other teams that often I like the names on the back of the jumpers of other teams, so I am prepared to have them on the back of ours.

And it is great to see the orginal BRISBANE Lion is coming back on the jumper.

Has anyone done up a edit of some of our players vs some of the suns' players where they are wearing their home strip and we are wearing our premiership outfit and one of our suggested clash strip (bears colours one) - mentally I don't see them as a huge issue but that could just be my lack of visual imagination....

Just talked to a Lions staff today when at the Lions shop, he had a few interesting things to say:

1 - The logo will stay the same next year
2 - The clash jumper will be at least 60% white next season, due to AFL regulations (even though Richmond get away with having just a little extra yellow) - example of one set of rules for one team and one set of rules for the others that the AFL love to have.
3 - The club actually did make a prototype of a Bears inspired clash jumper (similar to the HoF jumper but with the real Lion instead of the BB monogram and without the names on the front). It looked good and the staff member said the club wanted to use that as a clash jumper design but the AFL wouldn't let them. The prototype had Brown's name on the back but no number (I wanted to take a photo of it but I was not permitted to do so). I was obviously not permitted to buy it either as it was a prototype.
4 - The club and staff member believes names on the back of jumpers next season is a certainty.

Last edited:
Just talked to a Lions staff today when at the Lions shop, he had a few interesting things to say:

Paddlepop or Premiership Lion?

Paddlepop or Premiership Lion?
Official logo will still be the paddlepop - exact same. The jumpers of course will have our proper Lion.

He brought up how the Crows and Hawks have their logos and a different Crow/Hawk on their playing jumpers.

I thought it was known we were sticking with the same logo?

I like our logo personally, it's not like it's on the jumper anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 - The clash jumper will be at least 60% white next season, due to AFL regulations (even though Richmond get away with having just a little extra yellow) - example of one set of rules for one team and one set of rules for the others that the AFL love to have.
3 - The club actually did make a prototype of a Bears inspired clash jumper (similar to the HoF jumper but with the real Lion instead of the BB monogram and without the names on the front). It looked good and the staff member said the club wanted to use that as a clash jumper design but the AFL wouldn't let them. The prototype had Brown's name on the back but no number (I wanted to take a photo of it but I was not permitted to do so). I was obviously not permitted to buy it either as it was a prototype.
4 - The club and staff member believes names on the back of jumpers next season is a certainty.

Thanks for the info

That is interesting on the clash jumper. It is hard to believe though that the AFL could deny the Bears inspired clash jumper given the clash jumpers Richmond and Essendon have. It just takes a little bit more from our Club in response than meekly surrendering at every possible opportunity. If we just said while we respect the AFL's advice however we are going to go ahead with this as our clash jumper, I am sure the AFL would soon drop the issue as they obviously did for the other clubs.

No doubt it is just some stubborn mid-level AFL person who is in charge of this particular area and those higher up in the AFL surely could not care less (as long as there are no obvious clashes between teams). But instead we try to not rock the ship for the sake of the overall relationship. I just don't think that works in the end - you kowtow but still get nowhere. Stand up for what you believe in no matter what (that can still be done in a respectful way however).

It is not a big issue for sure, but where does it end? Preety soon we could have the AFL telling us who should or shouldn't be on our board of directors.................................................(oh yeah, they already did that!).

In furious agreement with everyone else. Fine for the logo to stay, great to see the old jumper back.

This was always a case of the principle of integrated marketing being taken to absurd extremes. Sanity prevails over received commercial wisdom.

That is interesting on the clash jumper. It is hard to believe though that the AFL could deny the Bears inspired clash jumper given the clash jumpers Richmond and Essendon have.
That's the exact first thought that went through my head and I did bring it up, however a staff member did show me a Bears inspired clash jumper prototype which means they would've given that jumper a genuine thought.

After I bought up the Richmond example a staff member said he might give the manual another look

I think we have all tried to argue for years that gold should be our clash jumper, whether Bears inspired or not, the fact the AFL is blocking it shows how stupid this whole uniform situation is, common sense needs to prevail.

I'm not too fussed about the club logo. I can live with it, Adelaide, Hawthorn, Richmond, etc have some modern looking logos too.

I'm glad to hear the club is trying to get the Bears third/clash jumper happening. I'm not too fussed if he doesn't happen, I just want to hear the club is trying. But it's just another classic example of AFL bending the rules for their favourites.

Great to hear that the names on jumpers are pretty much certain to happen. Odds of a #38 Rockliff jumper coming my way at Christmas time = $1.001. The big question is whether it will be the home jumper or the Fitzroy inspired away jumper.

Like many I actually dont mind the lion head logo by itself, and im happy to still have it. It just didnt belong on the jumper. That fitzroy lion isnt just sacred for the old roy boys, the moment we won 3 flags in it it had more meaning than that. I see it as the true jumper of the Brisbane Lions as a merged entity. It belongs on the jumper and that should never change.

As for normal club use logos, go for it.

It's not the white clash rule that pisses me off, it's that they only enforce it for certain teams.

Joke that we can't have a mostly gold clash jumper, but Richmond get away with a mostly black clash jumper with only a little bit of more yellow than their home jumper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back