To Sim or not to Sim

Remove this Banner Ad

Skanky1

Draftee
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Help, I know i`ve posted this before, but i need some help from people who do not sim Premiership Coach 2011. I have many questions so i guess i need to contact you non-simmers first.

Skanky

Help, I know i`ve posted this before, but i need some help from people who do not sim Premiership Coach 2011. I have many questions so i guess i need to contact you non-simmers first.

Skanky

Okay i will answer myself with another question, firstly i`m just really chuffed that i managed to post a new thread, secondly i have questions concerning match day management, what strategies work best against what game situation, what doesn`t, how often should i do interchanges. Any thoughts would help or are we just all instant gratification simmers out there.

Skanky

I've had a fair bit of experience with this game. What would you like to know?

Fantastic, okay well , firstly how do you track whats going on in the actual gameday part of the game, do you use visual clues from the match engine (which is a little bit erratic to say the least) or do you watch the statistics to interpret what is happening on the field. Do you find in your experience that changing the tactics actually has an effect on the game engine and the game outcome or is it just good player against bad player and goodplayer always wins.Also at what point do you interchange players, is after a certain time good or do you check on players fatigue levels and them switch them out. Lastly if you use certian strategies in the game which works well against certain opposition tactics.
Iwasasking because i understand the game which i watch but watching this match in the game i cannot see when they are pressing or flooding etc, or am i expecting too much.

I know thats a lot and thanks very much for answering.

Skanky1

Ok cool, I will try and answer those to the best of my ability.

Let's start with the bottom shall we. Yes I do think you are expecting a little too much about wanting to know when teams are using the press or flooding. I don't think the game was built like that and to be honest, don't think the game is advanced enough to have times where teams know when to press or flood.

I personally don't believe there are any certain tactics that you can use on certain teams, however I have had a lot of success using the same tactic for most of my matches which was usually having a long kicking game plan. When you're playing have the Display Options as long. This way the ball movement is quick, players will bomb the ball into your forward 50 which will leave the forwards one out with their opponents. It won't give the opposition a chance to flood numbers back to clear the ball out of defense so easily.

The Disposal Risk I generally go with as high as well. I want my players using the corridor and taking the game on as much as possible. Using the corridor makes for more scoring opportunities (take a look at a Mick Malthouse coached teams in the past, using the boundary line as their first avenue to goal, made for some frustrating times as supporters)

Ball Movement is really something that you are happy with. I personally take more of a kicking approach to the ball movement. I hate when players handball all the time, so get the ball moving forward at every possible opportunity. However in saying that, run/carry also has it's perks and you can see, more speed on the ball and play, then the easier is is to score and the harder it is for opposition players to get back in defense.

Tempo again is really just personal choice. As mentioned above, I like when the play is free flowing and fast moving. So fast tempo is the one I usually go with on that one. Unless you wanna become a Ross Lyon type of team, then slow tempo is the best way to go.

Ground Usage Personally for me, going down the corridor makes for more scoring opportunities. However going down the corridor of the ground means greater risk that the ball can be turned over.

Opponents Again another real tricky one depending on what you have done in the tactics above. I like to have this setting about half and half. Run off your players can mean that when your team is in possession, having an attacking play can help ball movement but will present greater risk if you turn the ball over and will be exposed going the other way.
Man on man footy will give a lot more 50/50 plays which is much more entertaining for fans

Regarding your interchanging of players and when it should be done. Usually you can just tell when players get too fatigued and need a break. Midfielders obviously get more tired throughout the game, so keeping an eye on them would be good. However I generally just follow the real stuff and give players a break every 5-10 minutes.
Eg. Josh Jenkins from Adelaide will go into the ruck at the 10 minute mark of every quarter and spend about 5 minutes there, while Sam Jacobs can either rest up forward or on the bench. After the 5 minutes of Jenkins in the ruck, I would switch them again with Jenkins going forward and Jacobs back into the ruck. (You can edit this before/during the game)

A lot of it does depend on who you have playing on who. The opposition generally always has a resting ruckman start in the forward pocket. Eg, for Carlton, Matthew Kreuzer will start in the ruck while Robbie Warnock will start forward next to a Casbolt or Henderson. Make sure you have a tall enough defender playing on the resting ruckman, as a smaller defender will not work and the opposition will exploit that matchup.

And lastly, I generally rely on statistics to keep me update with whats going on in the game. You can easily tell if someone is getting plenty of the ball, so the best way is to put a tagger on him (this wont stop him getting the ball, but it will stop his influence)

Hope some of that helped you and others. Please ask more questions if you have any :)

Ok cool, I will try and answer those to the best of my ability.

Let's start with the bottom shall we. Yes I do think you are expecting a little too much about wanting to know when teams are using the press or flooding. I don't think the game was built like that and to be honest, don't think the game is advanced enough to have times where teams know when to press or flood.

I personally don't believe there are any certain tactics that you can use on certain teams, however I have had a lot of success using the same tactic for most of my matches which was usually having a long kicking game plan. When you're playing have the Display Options as long. This way the ball movement is quick, players will bomb the ball into your forward 50 which will leave the forwards one out with their opponents. It won't give the opposition a chance to flood numbers back to clear the ball out of defense so easily.

The Disposal Risk I generally go with as high as well. I want my players using the corridor and taking the game on as much as possible. Using the corridor makes for more scoring opportunities (take a look at a Mick Malthouse coached teams in the past, using the boundary line as their first avenue to goal, made for some frustrating times as supporters)

Ball Movement is really something that you are happy with. I personally take more of a kicking approach to the ball movement. I hate when players handball all the time, so get the ball moving forward at every possible opportunity. However in saying that, run/carry also has it's perks and you can see, more speed on the ball and play, then the easier is is to score and the harder it is for opposition players to get back in defense.

Tempo again is really just personal choice. As mentioned above, I like when the play is free flowing and fast moving. So fast tempo is the one I usually go with on that one. Unless you wanna become a Ross Lyon type of team, then slow tempo is the best way to go.

Ground Usage Personally for me, going down the corridor makes for more scoring opportunities. However going down the corridor of the ground means greater risk that the ball can be turned over.

Opponents Again another real tricky one depending on what you have done in the tactics above. I like to have this setting about half and half. Run off your players can mean that when your team is in possession, having an attacking play can help ball movement but will present greater risk if you turn the ball over and will be exposed going the other way.
Man on man footy will give a lot more 50/50 plays which is much more entertaining for fans

Regarding your interchanging of players and when it should be done. Usually you can just tell when players get too fatigued and need a break. Midfielders obviously get more tired throughout the game, so keeping an eye on them would be good. However I generally just follow the real stuff and give players a break every 5-10 minutes.
Eg. Josh Jenkins from Adelaide will go into the ruck at the 10 minute mark of every quarter and spend about 5 minutes there, while Sam Jacobs can either rest up forward or on the bench. After the 5 minutes of Jenkins in the ruck, I would switch them again with Jenkins going forward and Jacobs back into the ruck. (You can edit this before/during the game)

A lot of it does depend on who you have playing on who. The opposition generally always has a resting ruckman start in the forward pocket. Eg, for Carlton, Matthew Kreuzer will start in the ruck while Robbie Warnock will start forward next to a Casbolt or Henderson. Make sure you have a tall enough defender playing on the resting ruckman, as a smaller defender will not work and the opposition will exploit that matchup.

And lastly, I generally rely on statistics to keep me update with whats going on in the game. You can easily tell if someone is getting plenty of the ball, so the best way is to put a tagger on him (this wont stop him getting the ball, but it will stop his influence)

Hope some of that helped you and others. Please ask more questions if you have any :)

Firstly thanks very much for taking the time to respond back, it seems you have put a lot of time and effort into playing this game so in the future you may be getting a lot of queston from me. I am going to try your suggestions and see how it plays out, i come from the fifa manager game group of people and this is my first try with Aussie rules management games so i guess i am spoilt with EA producing and spending lots of dosh on those games, its such a shames big ant studios cannot give someone the match engine from their games but thats the spoilt side of me talking. Anyway, i have a couple more questions for you.

1. Do you choose your players by their best position number(ie: inside mid 90 outside mid 86) or do you look at their skills and fit them to a position.

2. How did you find your teams identity. (ie: handpassing team or kicking team)

3. When you are leading in a game do you do what they do in real life, play the possesion game, short passes around the edges kind of thing. Or do you just stick with the strategies you showed me in your response.

4. Did you ever coach the Pies, if so any tips for me!

Once again thanks very much for your time.

Skanky1

1. I have a pretty advanced football brain, so I don't look at anything like rating positions and playing players in their preferred position. I generally just play players where I think I can get an advantage against opposition sides. EG. Having an extra tall forward against sides with a small defence.

2. I've just always been more of an attacking/long kick side.

3. Stick to the same game plan all the way through. I never change much

4. I have coached the Pies but not the 2015 lists. So not sure if my information would be any good for you

1. I have a pretty advanced football brain, so I don't look at anything like rating positions and playing players in their preferred position. I generally just play players where I think I can get an advantage against opposition sides. EG. Having an extra tall forward against sides with a small defence.

2. I've just always been more of an attacking/long kick side.

3. Stick to the same game plan all the way through. I never change much

4. I have coached the Pies but not the 2015 lists. So not sure if my information would be any good for you

Thanks again i`m going to keep going with questions if you don`t mind.

1. What do you do for team talks? Individual or all team. Which works for you

2. What setting do you have your training set at, i have mine at the number 5 because 6 seems to bring in more injuries, have you ever tried maxing it out?

3.(another one of these match questions) Does wind direction and weather impact the game at all in your experience

4. I play with the games original team lists so any experience from that persepctive would help concerning the Pies.

cheers

Skanky1

Thanks again i`m going to keep going with questions if you don`t mind.

1. What do you do for team talks? Individual or all team. Which works for you

2. What setting do you have your training set at, i have mine at the number 5 because 6 seems to bring in more injuries, have you ever tried maxing it out?

3.(another one of these match questions) Does wind direction and weather impact the game at all in your experience

4. I play with the games original team lists so any experience from that persepctive would help concerning the Pies.

cheers

Skanky1
Here are some more questions while i was thinking

5. Can you explain rebounds, is it ball`s coming back out of your 50 or their 50 or is it something else. Its probably something obvious

6. I`ve been reading your CROWS story with interest, i just wanted to know what level do you play at.

7. Do you have any any tips or guidelines for players contracts?.

Thanks once again

Skanky1

1. Just depending on the situation really. I generally use just the team talk depending on the results. But if you want to simply give a player a message, then do so!

2. I always have mine set on 5 as well. Even though having it higher advances player development, it's very risky as your players are more prone to injury

3. I don't find the wind has any baring on the result.

4. It's been a loooong time since I've used the original list. So not too sure if I can help you there.

5. Rebounds is when your team is bringing the ball out of the oppositions forward 50. (EG. Ben Reid brings the ball out of defense is a rebound)

6. I don't understand what you mean by "level" I play at. I'm just simming my matches and doing everything else myself

7. Not tips really for contracts. I just generally accept the players terms as that makes them most happy in the end.

1. Just depending on the situation really. I generally use just the team talk depending on the results. But if you want to simply give a player a message, then do so!

2. I always have mine set on 5 as well. Even though having it higher advances player development, it's very risky as your players are more prone to injury

3. I don't find the wind has any baring on the result.

4. It's been a loooong time since I've used the original list. So not too sure if I can help you there.

5. Rebounds is when your team is bringing the ball out of the oppositions forward 50. (EG. Ben Reid brings the ball out of defense is a rebound)

6. I don't understand what you mean by "level" I play at. I'm just simming my matches and doing everything else myself

7. Not tips really for contracts. I just generally accept the players terms as that makes them most happy in the end.

Well thanks very much , i think its time i get stuck into this game, if down the road i get stuck i`ll know who to ask, you`ve been a big help. By the way question 6 when i said "level", i mean`t which skill setting do you have it set too ie" Easy" "Medium/normal" or "Hard/Difficult".

Thank you

Skanky1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back