Player Watch #43: Todd Elton

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
Good back up plan if Rance leaves.
If Elton can perform like that week in week out back line of Elton, Astbury, Chaplin, Batchelor or Grimes isnt the worst in the AFL.

If anything hes moved up the pecking order. An injury to our best 3 should see him picked rather than going in undersized with both Grimes and Batchelor.

One more thing, hopefully gets to play against Port. I would like to see him against Schultz before I get too excited. Boyd only has 9 games under his belt.

tunksy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
quietly hoping he plays all the nab cup honestly. needs to be rewarded with game time so he has some incentive to stay. Him, rance and astbury as a future 3 talls would be sublime. end of they year if her performs (or not) clubs will come knocking as plenty are seeking a young key defender his size.

let him play, hope like hell continues to perform then lock him up for a couple years and tell him he will replace/ push out chaplin. there's spots in the team if we get injuries to astbury, grimes, chaplins knee or if rance falls of a bike again. hope he sees that.

Bout time we had a KPD for the monsters .
Would like to see Elton get a crack at Barge Arse Hawkins at some stage .

Didn't Astbury hold him goaless last year ? He looks monsterish to me...

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah good thread definitely liked what I saw yesterday. He's definitely more athletic than Chaplin and probably has a much better leap too.
Another thing is he could be a bit of swingman too if need be.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Wouldn't be upset to see him and Astbury play the next two NAB games with Rance and Chappy to cool there heels until R1.

How is his ruck work? Would be a nice option as 2nd ruck or even 3rd. Might allow Ivy to rest forward a bit more too.
Given Chaplin was rusty as a gate from r1 ly maybe an unorthodox nil praccy game approach is the tonic

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Great performance from Elton....

With Astbury very injury prone, I could see Elton getting called up this year to play the tall fwds.

Griffiths is good at marking when he drops into defence

Even Mc Bean did some skillful things and was competetive at ground level...

Hampson was good in the ruck....

Only Ty needs to impact games more or he's going to fall behind Griff, Hampson for sure and even Mc Bean maybe...

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Good back up plan if Rance leaves.
If Elton can perform like that week in week out back line of Elton, Astbury, Chaplin, Batchelor or Grimes isnt the worst in the AFL.

If anything hes moved up the pecking order. An injury to our best 3 should see him picked rather than going in undersized with both Grimes and Batchelor.

One more thing, hopefully gets to play against Port. I would like to see him against Schultz before I get too excited. Boyd only has 9 games under his belt.
I really hope we work out a way for Rance to stay. He is our best defender.....

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Thought Todd di very well and surprised me greatly. The big question is if he continues on this projection, who is going to get delisted next year?
Fair amount of variables which will determine this, such as how strong we rate the draft and how many we bring in through trade & free agency.
Given where our list is at, I wouldn't be surprised if we only make the minimum required changes

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
2016 Backline

Grimes - Astbury - Morris
Batchelor - Rance - Elton

Most will say to tall (probably looking at just height it is) But Both Grimes & Batchelor can play tall/small

Only change I'd make is swap Elton and Rance. Rance as third spoiling tall would be amazing! With Dylan "iron fist" grimes also do that!

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
If we are serious about getting anywhere in the long run Elton needs to play some games this year.

Having a 197cm 100kg KPD would be huge!

BC9_

Yellow & Black ???
Jan 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
2016 Backline

Grimes - Astbury - Morris
Batchelor - Rance - Elton

Most will say to tall (probably looking at just height it is) But Both Grimes & Batchelor can play tall/small

Nah still need some quality run off half back. Take out Elton and replace him with someone else. We need a replacement for Newman.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
If we are serious about getting anywhere in the long run Elton needs to play some games this year.

Having a 197cm 100kg KPD would be huge!

For cereal? We've got Astbury, rance, grimes and Chaplin ahead of him right now.

If we want to get anywhere is Ty or Griff need stand up in the forward line.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
For cereal? We've got Astbury, rance, grimes and Chaplin ahead of him right now.

If we want to get anywhere is Ty or Griff need stand up in the forward line.

Very different player to Grimes he is another big CHB/FB that could take the monsters. Grimes is 192 compared to Elton 197.

Chaplin is rubbish and under pressure goes to water, just like he did against Port.

What I am saying is if we can get Elton to the level he was expected to produce from his draft selection then we could have a combo of the 3 best bigs in the league.

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Didn't Astbury hold him goaless last year ? He looks monsterish to me...
We do his name is Astbury.
Hey theflea , I could probably excuse you repeating someone else's post on the basis you didn't see , but when you like it and then still post it just shows your a follower who can't think for themselves .;):p:D
I guess I should have clarified by saying a player who doesn't suffer ongoing injury concerns . Although I would also suggest Elton would do better on taller opponents compared to Astbury .

Hey theflea , I could probably excuse you repeating someone else's post on the basis you didn't see , but when you like it and then still post it just shows your a follower who can't think for themselves .;):p:D
I guess I should have clarified by saying a player who doesn't suffer ongoing injury concerns . Although I would also suggest Elton would do better on taller opponents compared to Astbury .

That's a big call The Roar Is Back . I really rate Astbury. He's really rated by the coaches. Elton has not played as many games (at the highest level) & performed as consistently. It's not that I don't rate him. At this stage he doesn't have the runs on the board like David....
But I'm certainly open & hoping Elton becomes as good as David. That would just be amazingly awesome for the RFC....

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
The other great thing about this, that I am sure nobody has mentioned yet, issssssss if for example Rance and his management do decide to play hard ball this year with his contract....we won't be held ransom as we have options. We don't need to fear losing one player and react by giving that one individual the world. Of course I expect Rance and his management to be reasonable but it's a good place to be for us.

Back