Competitions Todd Goldstein Brownlow Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

It's time to start genuinely thinking of Todd as a Brownlow chance. At the very least he looks like he will finish top 10. He's a giant man physically, and he plays largely in the centre square, which means the umpires will notice him. He is fair, plays hurt, doesn't argue, gets forward, kicks goals, takes contested marks and does it all with a minimum chop-out.

Round 1: 10 touches, 4 marks, 35 hitouts, 4 tackles, 2 clearances. 77 point loss.

The votes will likely go to Adelaide players - Dangerfield had 25, Walker kicked 5 goals, Betts kicked 4 goals and Douglas had 31. Higgins kicked 4 and Cunnington had 26 for us.

3: Walker
2: Dangerfield
1: Douglas

Note: Goldy got the maximum 5 votes in the NMFC BF MVP.

Round 2: 23 touches, 7 marks, 37 hitouts, 8 tackles, 2 rebound 50s, 2 inside 50s, 4 tackles, 1 goal. 87 point win.

Nobody from Brisbane deserves votes. Goldy had a monster game, but Waite had 7 goals from 22 touches, Higgins had 24 & 2, Gibson had 33 and Cunnington had 26 & 11 clearances. I'll give Goldy 2 votes from this game.

3: Waite
2: Goldstein
1: Cunnington

Round 3: 13 touches, 49 hitouts, 6 tackles, 2 rebound 50s. 8 point loss.

Don't think there's votes in this one for Goldy. Hamish Hartlett was massive, Broadbent had a huge last quarter when the game was on the line, Boak was great, and Swallow had 30 touches & 10 tackles.

3: Hartlett
2: Boak
1: Swallow

Note: Goldy received no votes in the NMFC BF MVP.

Round 4: 21 touches, 2 marks, 1 goal, 1 behind, 42 hitouts, 6 tackles, 2 inside 50s, 8 clearances, 16 point win.

3 votes. Nothing surer. Huge game. Waite & Nahas kicked 3 each, Higgins had 21 & 6 inside 50s, and Selwood had a good game for the Cats with 29 touches & 10 clearances, but Goldy beat 3 Geelong ruckman hands down. 3 votes.

3: Goldstein
2: Selwood
1: Higgins

Round 5: 14 touches, 40 hitouts, 1 behind, 4 marks, 4 clearances, 2 rebound 50s, 2 inside 50s, 60 point loss.

Massive flogging from the Hawks. Don't think Goldy gets votes. Gunston had 23 & 4, Mitchell had 33, Smith had 27 & 2. Harvey had 30.

3: Mitchell
2: Gunston
1: Smith

Note: Goldy got 3 votes in the NMFC BF MVP.

Round 6: 11 touches, 36 hitouts, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 2 clearances, 5 one-percenters, 35 point win.

Beat Maric and had to contend with Rance and Riewoldt coming third man up all day. Thomas kicked 5 goals, Jacobs had 23 touches & 5 tackles, Wright had 21 touches & 10 rebound 50s. Cotchin, Martin,Miles, Ellis and Grigg were influential for the Tigers. 2 votes for Goldy.

3: Thomas
1: Miles

Round 7: 8 touches, 38 hitouts, 2 tackles, 3 marks, 2 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 2 goal assists, 11 point win.

Ziebell was clearly BOG, Cunnington had 26 and a goal, Petrie had 19 touches & 2 goals, Hansen had 24 touches & 14 (!) marks. Heppell had 29 and 5 tackles for the Injectors.

3: Ziebell
2: Hansen
1: Heppell

Note: Goldy did not receive any votes in the NMFC BF MVP.

Round 8: 7 touches, 3 marks, 31 hitouts, 5 tackles. 73 point loss.

Garbage game all around. Still beat Sandilands by 1 hitout. Freo players (Fyfe - 37, Neale - 34, Barlow - 30 & 2, Walters - 16 & 4) will get the votes.

3: Fyfe
2: Neale
1: Barlow

Note: Goldy did not receive any votes in the NMFC BF MVP.

Round 9: 19 touches, 8 marks, 51 hitouts, 1 goal, 6 inside 50s, 4 clearances, 17 point loss.

Even though we lost and s**t the bed comprehensively in the second half, 3 votes. Clearly the best player on the ground. Elliot played a half of football. Sidebottom & Swan were good. Dumont had 18 touches, 10 tackles & 7 clearances.

2: Swan
1: Elliot

Note: Goldy received the maximum 5 votes in the NMFC BF MVP.

Round 10: 10 touches, 47 hitouts, 1 goal, 3 marks, 6 tackles, 10 point win.

Ziebell the most influential player on the ground, Harvey the second most, and Higgins had 22 & 4. Goldy might sneak in for a vote. Gaff & Priddis had a shitload of it. Goldy rucked against NicNat & Sinclair one-out basically the entire day.

3: Ziebell
2: Harvey
1: Higgins

Note: Goldy received 2 votes in the NMFC BF MVP.

Round 11: 17 touches, 37 hitouts, 7 marks, 6 tackles, 2 clearances, 16 point loss.

Parker was gigantic, Franklin won the Swans the game, Goldy was our best and arguably the second best player on the ground behind Parker. Cunnington had 23 & 7 tackles. 2 votes.

3: Parker
1: Franklin

Round 12: 12 touches, 80 hitouts, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 3 clearances, 3 rebound 50s, 56 point win.

BOG. Not much more to say. MacMillan had 29 & 3 goals. Dal Santo had 34 touches. Treloar had 29 and Shaw had 30. 3 votes.

2: MacMillan
1: Dal Santo

Round 14: 15 touches, 62 hitouts, 6 tackles, 4 marks, 4 clearances, 2 rebound 50s, 3 inside 50s, 55 point loss.

Ablett had 31 & 3, Dixon kicked 7, Cunnington had 29 & 2. Goldy probably missed out.

3: Ablett
2: Dixon
1: Kolodjashnij

Note: Goldy received 4 votes in the NMFC BF MVP.

Round 15: 19 touches, 45 hitouts, 8 clearances, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 6 free kicks for, 2 inside 50s, 2 goal assists, 41 point win.

3 votes. No question. Swallow had 24 touches & 12 tackles. Bastinac 27 & 7 tackles. Bartel had 41 touches & no impact.

2: Swallow
1: Bastinac

Note: the votes for this round haven't been calculated yet.

So after 15 rounds, Goldy has (by my somewhat generous calculations) 18 votes in the Brownlow. Fyfe probably has 72 by this point, but it's not out of the question that Goldy is second or third, and definitely top 5.

For reference, he has 630 hitouts to this stage of the season, averaging 45 a game, the most in the competition. His 630 total is also the most in the competition. Sandilands is the next best with 572.

I have currently got him on 15 votes in 5th place with Fyfe on 31. A top 3 finish is definitely on the cards.

$1000-1 to win it $250-1 for a place at the start of the year

My mate put $10 e/w on my advice. Wish I did the same:(

You're being very generous with the Collingwood and Sydney games. Fyfe would have enough to win it already so we can only hope for a suspension there. It's been a long time since a North player polled strongly so I hope Goldy gets what he is deserved.

Speaking of which, everytime I hear some media flog talk about his AA chances, someone else goes with "Maybe...but Sandilands and Nic Nat have been awesome and Mummy was great until he got injured. It'll be interesting to see how that goes." Yeah...but....nah. Goldy SHOULD BE a lock as the AA ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has been unbelievable. He is like an extra midfielder. His hands are so clean. An aerobic beast too. I just wish more of our players had his drive to be the best.

Been doing my own Brownlow tracker. Have this leaderboard ATM

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 4
The thing with Sydney is that there's plenty of blokes taking votes off each other.

Freo has nobody else (maybe Lachie Neale). We have nobody except for Ziebell and maybe Higgins.

When assessing his game you really have to sorta ignore the hit out stat. Left nut says the umpires would be oblivious to it (80 hit outs has a case though.

You're pretty generous there, FG. He won't poll in a couple of those games.

Yeah this is probably best case.

I hope his dominance of the ruck pushes him over the line in a few games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back