Delisted Tom Bell (2015-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange sentence. Can you have 'elite running ability' without having endurance?

Unless by endurance they mean, being able to stick your hand in an ice bucket for ages, or let spiders walk on your face or something.

Michael Close would be a good example to answer that question. He may have elite running ability, but his endurance in a game sense was quickly sapped by body-on-body contact because of the strength imbalance between him and his opponents in his games so far. Bell has the body strength to maintain his running ability even after exerting himself in more static strength contests.

Tom Bell to realise dream by playing for Brisbane after starting career at Carlton

“It’s exciting to be putting on the jumper. I grew up supporting the Lions, I’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time,’’ he said.

“I’m one of those guys that does enjoy pre-seasons.

“This time of year it (training) flatlines a little bit and you are just waiting for those games.’’

Bell joked that being reunited with former Carlton teammate Mitch Robinson at the Gabba had not been all roses.

“He (Robinson) is good. Everyone knows he’s a bit of character. He’s got a locker right beside me as well, I can only deal with Robbo in small doses, if you know what I mean,’’ Bell said.

Brisbane’s Tom Bell can’t wait to be part of the Lions’ rebirth

"I grew up in Queensland as a Lions fan during those amazing years when they dominated the competition and, to be honest, when the chance came to get back home and be part of what I could see they were building here I jumped at the chance,” Bell told The Australian.

“The club was near and dear to my heart and they didn’t really have to sell me on much.

“As good as I thought the crop of young guys they had coming here was … to see it now and train with them for a full pre-season, there is even more to like and be excited about.

“You can’t build great teams overnight, it takes time.

“But this squad has all the makings of a really special group and with the brand of football (coach Justin Leppitsch) has been working with them on for a couple of years now … I think we are about to see some tangible results from all the hard yards this club has put in over a long period of time.”

Anyone have any news on what his role will be? With the likes of Rockliff, Beams and Zorko set in the midfield, will he be a walk in start to that group or will he be vying for midfield time with the likes of Robinson, Bastinac, Hanley, Rich, Christensen, Taylor etc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bell Charged With Striking

Tom Bell has been charged with striking Jake Lloyd during the fourth quarter of Sunday's game. A media release from the AFL said the following:

Tom Bell, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with striking Jake Lloyd, Sydney Swans, during the fourth quarter of the Round Six match between the Brisbane Lions and the Sydney Swans, played at the Gabba on Sunday May 1, 2016.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Sydney Swans Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the body. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.

He's been played mostly as a CHF really, which has been a bit of a surprise. He had some midfield time in the Sydney game and terrified the s**t out of the Swans lighter blokes. Lepp needs to unleash him in the guts some more.

He does play well on the half forward line. Seen him goal 40+ out on both sides, wouldnt have picked as a CHF though. But yeah, his best footy is in the middle. Even had some mentoring from Juddy on how to break lines at stoppages.

Kid's a match winner, sad to see him go but happy he's working out for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back