Tom Boyd requests trade to the Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright let's examine this closely.

GWS get - Ryan Griffen, a 28 player that will not be around for either teams tilt at a premiership, a one time All Australian that was not particularly good this year. To say he's a loss as a captain is a joke, considering his recent actions, he was clearly the captain because he was a decent 'name' player, or if he wasn't, whoever picked him as captain would have to be an incredibly poor judge of character. Giants would be rapt if he was playing good footy in 3 years. I do not understand why they wanted to trade for him.
And pick 6 - maybe they won't spend it on a flipping full forward this time.

Bulldogs get - Tom Boyd, finally a legit change for a Bulldogs superstar, and the power forward they have never had for the past few decades besides a brief union with Hall. No he is not proven, but where was Griffen ever getting them? They had plenty of young talent in midfield anyway, this is a much needed improvement for their future prospects.

Boyd's contract demands are irrelevant, as is paying an amount of Griffen's contract for next year, we're talking football not business, I don't see any former pick 1, 200 cm tall, 100 kg players at the Bulldogs that have grounds to ask for a large contract. Why would they bitch about it? Unless Liberatore thinks he's a shot at Boyd's "1 million per year" (lol), the size of which is completely uncomfirmed and speculative. I think if anything, GWS got their asses kicked.

GWS clearly believe they have their KPF options covered, which they probably do. In fact, they've probably got them in excess. Expect one or two more to be picked off over time.

Now they can keep adding to their depth in other areas.

Well you're changing the story now. The post I quoted said nothing about salary, you were complaining about the contract length.

I called you out on your point and now you complain about the salary.

Since you're so passionately bagging his salary can you tell me what his salary will be? How much of it is within the cap? How much of it is incentive based? What clauses are in his contract?
I wasn't complaining and you've lost the context of my post which was a response anyway . A mortgaged future surely implies price is relevent. All I said was the Dog's have taken a risk. I'm not sure why you are geting so worked up.

The thing about the 7 year deal is that at the end of it he'll be a restricted free agent.

Like that news article said - let's say his career follows the path of Tom Hawkins. Hawkins was fairly average until the 2012 (obviously after breaking out in the 2011 GF). In those first five seasons he kicked 107 goals in 79 games. Not horrible, but not $1 million a year. It's basically James Podsiadly's career. Then in year six Hawkins gets awesome and becomes a dominant key foward who you'd pay $1 million in order to get to your club.

The problem is, if it takes until year six for Boyd, that's 2019. And the contract ends in 2021. So you might get four years of J-Pod and three years of Hawkins for $7 million. And then he's a restricted FA and from his form is going to be very open for offers.

People are trying to say it's different to the Franklin deal because there's the risk Franklin will retire and not play 3-4 years of his contract. But we know we're getting one of the best forwards in the history of the game for 5 years.

Alright let's examine this closely.

GWS get - Ryan Griffen, a 28 player that will not be around for either teams tilt at a premiership, a one time All Australian that was not particularly good this year. To say he's a loss as a captain is a joke, considering his recent actions, he was clearly the captain because he was a decent 'name' player, or if he wasn't, whoever picked him as captain would have to be an incredibly poor judge of character. Giants would be rapt if he was playing good footy in 3 years. I do not understand why they wanted to trade for him.
And pick 6 - maybe they won't spend it on a flipping full forward this time.

Bulldogs get - Tom Boyd, finally a legit change for a Bulldogs superstar, and the power forward they have never had for the past few decades besides a brief union with Hall. No he is not proven, but where was Griffen ever getting them? They had plenty of young talent in midfield anyway, this is a much needed improvement for their future prospects.

Boyd's contract demands are irrelevant, as is paying an amount of Griffen's contract for next year, we're talking football not business, I don't see any former pick 1, 200 cm tall, 100 kg players at the Bulldogs that have grounds to ask for a large contract. Why would they bitch about it? Unless Liberatore thinks he's a shot at Boyd's "1 million per year" (lol), the size of which is completely uncomfirmed and speculative. I think if anything, GWS got their asses kicked.

Nope wouldn't have thought.
The contract is relevant. I disagree with McCartney saying they ll give him time to develop. If I was a paying member of the bulldogs and I see where my hard earned is going too. I would want a return sooner rather then later (see buddy). If he takes 3 years to become what they expect then they have pretty much wasted 3 million on "development". If he was to earn minimal initially then back load the crap out of it when he should be what they expect you can nearly fathom it.
Good luck to the bulldogs. I hope it works our for you

Sorry if this has already been posted but anyone else find it staggering that Tom Boyd was a guest at several Carlton games this year and was seen openly barracking for them and wearing a Blues scarf? He grew up barracking for them.

Do you really believe that?

Honestly?

Strange that in this day and age, where one can get a selfie with the Prime Minister/President using their mobile phone - not a single photo exists of this occurrence.

Sorry if this has already been posted but anyone else find it staggering that Tom Boyd was a guest at several Carlton games this year and was seen openly barracking for them and wearing a Blues scarf? He grew up barracking for them.

yes. The Boyds, Treloars and Sheils are Carlton families.

We are talking multi-generational members

I am informed that we had a handshake agreement that TB would request a trade to Carlton at the end of 2015. Terms were 5 years at $900k.
Not sure what we were prepared to offer as trade.

Makes this very bitter for us as we thought we had him locked away for 2016 onwards.

Good get for the Doggies though. Rather them than the Hawks or one of the so-called destination clubs.

Do you really believe that?

Honestly?

Strange that in this day and age, where one can get a selfie with the Prime Minister/President using their mobile phone - not a single photo exists of this occurrence.
I don't disbelieve it.

I don't disbelieve it.

As with most garbage like this - it most probably went:

Boyd in Melbourne over his bye weekend
Attends footy with parents/friends/family

Gets seen there.

Story isn't juicy unless that sighting was of him wearing a Carlton scarf. And cheering for them.

And so it was.

Yet no-one thought enough of this occurrence to take a photo of it.

Yeah I heard that yesterday and thought it was really weird and poor form.
If I saw one of our players do that I'd be furious.
This was said by David Schwarz on SEN. The thing to remember here is that he said he saw this LAST year. Not this year......he wasnt playing AFL last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What kind of message does paying a kid a million dollars a year (who is unproven) send your playing group?

And the Bulldogs wonder why they have cultural problems.

Even if this kid somehow becomes a superstar like Buddy Franklin and somehow justifies this money (would be an absolute miracle) it is still s stupid decision. You must pay people on what they have delivered to your club and you must respect systems, list management and respect your senior guns who have earn't the right for some extra cash as they age.

Ludicrous decision. Bizarre decision. What a moronic club they are.

They should have just traded Griffen and Cooney and if they really wanted Boyd offered him $500K next year. If that wasn't enough to get him then so what, look elsewhere.

This kid is now earning more than anyone on the Hawks list.

Wow!!!

First of all, in case you didn't know, clubs must pay 95% of the salary cap.

Secondly, KPFs like Boyd don't grow on trees.

You can't have a list management strategy of "well we've got to pay 95% so we may as well!" It's all about opportunity cost. In the days of more open player movement, every dollar spent is a dollar that could have been spent on someone else. I can understand the Dogs strategy with Boyd, and if it comes off it will be a big move. But it's incredibly risky. More risky than the Buddy contract, I think.

And yet not one has requested a trade there.......

I don't disbelieve it.

As with most garbage like this - it most probably went:

Boyd in Melbourne over his bye weekend
Attends footy with parents/friends/family

Gets seen there.

Story isn't juicy unless that sighting was of him wearing a Carlton scarf. And cheering for them.

And so it was.

Yet no-one thought enough of this occurrence to take a photo of it.

No it was last season.
It isn't "garbage".
BTW the club is genuinely peeved, thought it had Boyd sorted for next year. Althougfh it recognises it doesn't have rights to every Blue-bagger and nothing was on paper.

Dare I say that no-one has requested a trade from GWS until now because no-one has come knocking with that sort of coin and trade capital to get the deal done. Until now.

The other factor is that the GWS boys are largely bonded and recognise that they have a chance to acheive something remarkable from the ground up.
Good on the Dogs for shifting something significant.

GWS supporters on that other hand seem to have some serious chips on their shoulders.

No it was last season.
It isn't "garbage".
BTW the club is genuinely peeved, thought it had Boyd sorted for next year. Althougfh it recognises it doesn't have rights to every Blue-bagger and nothing was on paper.

Dare I say that no-one has requested a trade from GWS until now because no-one has come knocking with that sort of coin and trade capital to get the deal done. Until now.

The other factor is that the GWS boys are largely bonded and recognise that they have a chance to acheive something remarkable from the ground up.

GWS supporters on that other hand seem to have some serious chips on their shoulders.
Going on what Andrew Mackay said on radio, it sounds like that was certianly the case.

Good luck resigning kids like Bont, Stringer etc at end of 2015. Good managers will prey on their psyche of being "sold short" by Boyd to get them good deals away from Bulldogs.
They've already extended their contracts beyond 2015 (ditto Libba & Hrovat) and we've front loaded others as we would be well short of the 95% minimum otherwise.
Heck, we can still 105%-rule next year as Boyd is one base salary in 2015.

Thankfully Jason McCartney knows a lot more than Bigfooty peons :)

They've already extended their contracts beyond 2015 (ditto Libba & Hrovat) and we've front loaded others as we would be well short of the 95% minimum otherwise.
Heck, we can still 105%-rule next year as Boyd is one base salary in 2015.

Thankfully Jason McCartney knows a lot more than Bigfooty peons :)

Correct on all counts. I initially thought this may be risky and may shake a Mcrae, Stringer type loose in the medium term. Looks like the dogs may have done their sums on something more sophisticated than the back of an envelope.

I have to conceed that I thought we'd get Boyd next year, oh well I guess Tex Walker's looking like a target.

It's a big get. Good for the Dogs and indeed for football in general.

yes. The Boyds, Treloars and Sheils are Carlton families.

We are talking multi-generational members

I am informed that we had a handshake agreement that TB would request a trade to Carlton at the end of 2015. Terms were 5 years at $900k.
Not sure what we were prepared to offer as trade.

Makes this very bitter for us as we thought we had him locked away for 2016 onwards.

Good get for the Doggies though. Rather them than the Hawks or one of the so-called destination clubs.

No it was last season.
It isn't "garbage".

Frankie boy. Pretty much this

Good luck resigning kids like Bont, Stringer etc at end of 2015. Good managers will prey on their psyche of being "sold short" by Boyd to get them good deals away from Bulldogs.

Bontempelli at least is 2017.... I think... But given we were at 95% of the cap for next year before Griffen, Cooney, Higgins and Jones left. I'd imagine there is a little bit of space left.

griffen 600k per year, Jones 300k per year, tutt 200k per year, Cooney 500k per year, Higgins 400k per year. They are all out the door.

We have plenty of money to go around to our youngsters tbh, and most of them are locked up anyway.

Is restricted free agency 8 years playing in the AFL or is it 8 years with the club you are at? Makes all the difference whether he comes out his contract a RFA or still has a year to go in which bulldogs would still have trade currency at the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back