Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be worrying about your own list management mate, considering you've been an absolute basket case for years now I wouldn't go calling other clubs strategies "dumb"
not dumb to go after Tom Boyd, but I wouldn't of thought you'd need to pay anywhere near that to get him

The money for Boyd was always going to be that ballpark. He just happened to end up at a team with a chip on its shoulder who pushed it through early. Our cap would be in the best 1-2 in the league to absorb it- especially with the rules. It won't be a problem

The money for Boyd was always going to be that ballpark. He just happened to end up at a team with a chip on its shoulder who pushed it through early. Our cap would be in the best 1-2 in the league to absorb it- especially with the rules. It won't be a problem
It will be a problem if doesn't end any good

It will be a problem if doesn't end any good
This wasn't a split second decision, we've had a scout at every single game of his last year and know a lot about him. Considering our form in that regard I'm going to back them in considering they thought he was good enough to give up this kind of offer.

This wasn't a split second decision, we've had a scout at every single game of his last year and know a lot about him. Considering our form in that regard I'm going to back them in considering they thought he was good enough to give up this kind of offer.
A lot of trust in this one scout saying he's worth $7Million after he kicked 21 goals in the NEAFL and 9 in the AFL.

Yeah you're right I guess it is as simple as that
The only other player as young as this that was offered a similar deal was Tom Scully, that hasn't worked, throwing big money on players purely because they are a prospect it a huge risk.

The only other player as young as this that was offered a similar deal was Tom Scully, that hasn't worked, throwing big money on players purely because they are a prospect it a huge risk.
Thanks for your concern, once again, concentrate on your own basket case of a list.

Thanks for your concern, once again, concentrate on your own basket case of a list.
Of Course Melbourne have their problems, no ones hiding that.

But this is a forum where people put their opinions up, if you can't handle other peoples opinions then get off.

Of Course Melbourne have their problems, no ones hiding that.

But this is a forum where people put their opinions up, if you can't handle other peoples opinions then get off.
Its just frustrating reading so many uneducated opinions, lemme guess you're one of the ones that still believes that no matter if Boyd never plays a game or kicks a goal in the rest of his career, that we've written a contract forcing us to pay him a million a year either way...

Its just frustrating reading so many uneducated opinions, lemme guess you're one of the ones that still believes that no matter if Boyd never plays a game or kicks a goal in the rest of his career, that we've written a contract forcing us to pay him a million a year either way...
well explain to me the contract details

well explain to me the contract details
I don't know the specifics but I can assure you its going to be heavily performance based and he's going to have to meet strict demands to keep triggering the pay rises etc, and we've been told as much from some very reliable posters on the dogs board.

Don't get me wrong its still a risk and even if he doesn't live up to our lofty expectations he will still be a pretty well paid player but its just not as risky as everyone is making out, its just not as simple as us paying the kid a mil a year for 7 years no matter what he does...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know the specifics but I can assure you its going to be heavily performance based and he's going to have to meet strict demands to keep triggering the pay rises etc, and we've been told as much from some very reliable posters on the dogs board.

Don't get me wrong its still a risk and even if he doesn't live up to our lofty expectations he will still be a pretty well paid player but its just not as risky as everyone is making out, its just not as simple as us paying the kid a mil a year for 7 years no matter what he does...
Don't call me uneducated when you yourself don't the details, all you can do is "assure me".

All players contracts have performance base clauses in them, from top of the line players to the ones scraping in the reserves trying to push for selection. No doubt Boyd would have performance clauses in his contract but he would also have a huge bas regardless of performance. On top of anything Boyd gets the dogs are paying an extra $250000 a season for Griffen, so whatever Boyd does get you can throw an extra $250k on top of that.

Anyway hopefully he turns out to be the gun everyone thinks he will be, Both him and Hogan would be great for the competition if they can reach their expectations.

On top of anything Boyd gets the dogs are paying an extra $250000 a season for Griffen, so whatever Boyd does get you can throw an extra $250k on top of that.

As far as I understand, we're not actually "paying" Griffen that money. It just counts towards our cap. Which helps us reach the minimum 95% this year, and the 105% in coming years

Don't call me uneducated when you yourself don't the details, all you can do is "assure me".

All players contracts have performance base clauses in them, from top of the line players to the ones scraping in the reserves trying to push for selection. No doubt Boyd would have performance clauses in his contract but he would also have a huge bas regardless of performance. On top of anything Boyd gets the dogs are paying an extra $250000 a season for Griffen, so whatever Boyd does get you can throw an extra $250k on top of that.

Anyway hopefully he turns out to be the gun everyone thinks he will be, Both him and Hogan would be great for the competition if they can reach their expectations.
Thats not actually legal, we can only pay Griffen out of our cap next year (in his last contracted year) so we're paying him 250k next year and thats it. More of a face saving exercise for GWS than anything else.

Why? Sure theres going to be nothing conclusive but they should both play a fair few games next year starting from a similar base, will be interesting to watch them and compare.

Well, it will stop the tit for tat bullshit that will undoubtedly spew forth with very little exposed form.

FWIW, I think both will turn out to be very good players, but you can't pick one just yet (although I probably did just that earlier in the thread....)

Scully situation represents evidence of a inadequate sample size.

Yes it's a risk

I've given this a bit of thought and while I reckon Footscray paid overs and that they're also running the risk of creating a millstone around their neck next time their other young players come out of contract sometimes you've got to roll the dice. In an 18 team comp flags aren't easy to come by and as a Dees supporter all I want is a chance at a flag, nothing else matters. The Dogs haven't won a flag for 60 years.

So I understand this risk and it's probably worth a punt, accepting though, there are definite risks involved.

Last edited:
Hogan.

Closest thing to Carey I have seen in terms of style and is also a seriously talented unit. Can't wait to see him on the park again.

Wrong, Caro said we are paying Griffen 800k next year and 100k in 2017. If we didn't pay Griffen's contract then we would be severely undercap next year with Cooney and Higgins also leaving who were on good coin themselves and Matt Boyd took a pay cut to be on minimal terms just to stay on the list.

We will be able to go into 2016 paying 105% and we should have money to pay the upcoming kids what they are worth from 2017 onwards as Morris and Murphy will probably retire by 2016 and who knows about Minson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back