Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
They key word there is VFL level. Liam Jones is a gun at VFL level. You are going off VFL reports and a couple of flashes in a practice match. Until Hogan actually debuts he's shown nothing at AFL level. Boyd has shown very little but at least he's been able to physically cope with the demands of being in an AFL system.

I watch with my own eyes - Hogan has shown more ability to get up the ground at AFL level - My eyes tell me that Boyd is more dimensional.

Who would I prefer - Hogan !

I watch with my own eyes - Hogan has shown more ability to get up the ground at AFL level - My eyes tell me that Boyd is more dimensional.

Who would I prefer - Hogan !

Where have you seen Hogan's ability at AFL level?

Demonheart

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2002
MCG, pocket, Punt rd end
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory, Hereford
Wow there is not much thought in your writing is there... how is saying i think a player might go to another club as an opinion language of somebody trolling? i think you better stop sooking and worry about something else, and if anybody is uptight its you, getting upset i mentioned a player from your club....

If there was any doubt then this post of your proved it

wow, don't get those big panties in a knot little girl, it was a thought, but because you are a sensitive soul ill forgive you for you're insecurities

A troll is someone who posts crap to deliberately wind others up. Clearly this was your aim.

I don't know why you're so upset about the truth coming out, I suggest you have a nice hot cup of tea and calm down.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Where have you seen Hogan's ability at AFL level?

In the two NAB Cup matches he played.

But anyway, why would one of Hogan's strengths suddenly disappear at AFL level ? Because you wish it ?

The guy plays in a certain way, which is hard leading up the ground to the wings, the occasional stint on ball and he's also done well at CHB. His endurance for a big guy is elite. He covers the ground superbly. His innate aggression can't be taught.

All you can hang your hat on is that he hasn't played an AFL game. That's it. You have nothing else. Thankfully in 6 months you'll no longer have even that.

You have zero capacity to judge elite young talent. That's OK. It's not everyone's forte.

In the two NAB Cup matches he played.

But anyway, why would one of Hogan's strengths suddenly disappear at AFL level ? Because you wish it ?.

A lot of players are strong at things and never make it at AFL level. That's why those types of players play VFL. I'm not saying Hogan won't be good at AFL level but he's already being spoken about like he's a sure-fire star.

Leave the personal attacks out of it, it makes you look childish. Not everybody sees a kid play mickey mouse football and labels them a gun without any evidence at the top level.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Disregard ManofClays attempts to downplay everything about Hogan you will find most Dogs supporters realise he will be a gun, and some have even said they'd prefer him in here.

But in saying that as much as every Melbourne supporter in here seems to think it's a forgone conclusion that Hogan is better, Boyd is just as good a prospect and every chance to be the better player. We won't know for a few years.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Disregard ManofClays attempts to downplay everything about Hogan you will find most Dogs supporters realise he will be a gun, and some have even said they'd prefer him in here.

But in saying that as much as every Melbourne supporter in here seems to think it's a forgone conclusion that Hogan is better, Boyd is just as good a prospect and every chance to be the better player. We won't know for a few years.

Boyd and Hogan couldn't be split by most experts. They play differently and some said Hogan, others Boyd. Hogan's progression has been better in adult company, but that means nothing now.

As much as I reckon Footscray paid overs, I think it's fair to say that Dees and Dogs supporters are desperate to see a flag. Clearly they're not easy to win, especially in a compromised 18 team competition, and sometimes you have to roll the dice, which is what the Dogs have done.

You can't die wondering and the Doggies won't.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
A lot of players are strong at things and never make it at AFL level. That's why those types of players play VFL. I'm not saying Hogan won't be good at AFL level but he's already being spoken about like he's a sure-fire star.

Leave the personal attacks out of it, it makes you look childish. Not everybody sees a kid play mickey mouse football and labels them a gun without any evidence at the top level.

JESSE Hogan has the potential to be a "genuine star of the competition", Melbourne forward line teammate Chris Dawes says.

"The thing that makes me so confident that he's going to be a genuine star of the competition is that he's got that competitiveness, that aggression and willingness to use his body against big guys that you usually see takes key position players a few years to develop," Dawes said on Tuesday.

^^^

Chris Dawes has played with Cloke, played against the games best forwards and has been on the list for 2 years with Hogan. He made these comments yesterday and he only reiterates what anyone who can remotely interpret football believes is likely to happen.

Naturally, others can please themselves.

Demonheart

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2002
MCG, pocket, Punt rd end
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory, Hereford

Nah, Boyd is going to be a gun, I'm pretty confident of it. Doggies did the right thing with the Boyd trade, they turned a disastrous set of circumstances in losing your coach and best player into something pretty positive.

What attempts to downplay Hogan?

I'd say more my attempts to stop people jumping the gun and blowing their load over a zero gamer. Hype doesn't always equal results. Melbourne fans will look back and thank me, or at least know I'm right, if Hogan fails to take the field for another year. On the reverse, if Hogan turns out to be the gun he could potentially be it's not like I have said he is no good.

I'm in the same boat as that Collingwood supporter who was shouted down for not having an opinion either way and asking for people to perhaps temper expectations until these players have both had an extended run at AFL level.

JESSE Hogan has the potential to be a "genuine star of the competition", Melbourne forward line teammate Chris Dawes says.

"The thing that makes me so confident that he's going to be a genuine star of the competition is that he's got that competitiveness, that aggression and willingness to use his body against big guys that you usually see takes key position players a few years to develop," Dawes said on Tuesday.

^^^

Chris Dawes has played with Cloke, played against the games best forwards and has been on the list for 2 years with Hogan. He made these comments yesterday and he only reiterates what anyone who can remotely interpret football believes is likely to happen.

Naturally, others can please themselves.

It's a pre-season fluff article. What do you expect him to say? "nah my teammate's no good".

You just fell for clickbait

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Boyd and Hogan couldn't be split by most experts. They play differently and some said Hogan, others Boyd. Hogan's progression has been better in adult company, but that means nothing now.

As much as I reckon Footscray paid overs, I think it's fair to say that Dees and Dogs supporters are desperate to see a flag. Clearly they're not easy to win, especially in a compromised 18 team competition, and sometimes you have to roll the dice, which is what the Dogs have done.

You can't die wondering and the Doggies won't.
Yeah exactly, we could quite easily be talking about the best FF and best CHF in the league in 5 years time, depend what you want really, we probably need the big centrepiece FF to build around with Stringer, Crameri, Bonts etc a bit more at this stage. In a perfect world you'd have both :p

Agree we probably paid overs but yeah like you said it's time we took a risk and like Demonheart said we turned a terrible situation into a positive and that's all you can ask for really. Funnily enough we lost our captain and coach but have had the best start to our membership drive in our history. There's some weird excitement around the place right now!

Hopefully these two can drag us both out of the bottom and we can continue to build on the little rivalry that's sort of starting in recent matches, the women's round definitely has some potential IMO.

Nah, mate. I've spoken to players privately at functions and know their view.

They'd say anything positive just so you are happy and leave them alone. Would happen with any mug questioning them.

Again I'm not saying anything against Hogan, just that maybe expectations can be tempered on both players until they actually perform at AFL level.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
They'd say anything positive just so you are happy and leave them alone. Would happen with any mug questioning them.

Again I'm not saying anything against Hogan, just that maybe expectations can be tempered on both players until they actually perform at AFL level.

Not the sort of functions you're probably envisaging or the ones I suspect you're used to, pal.

The views of the club and players towards Hogan aren't platitudes to sate hero worshiping supporters.

Winning Casey's B&F from 13 games (39 goals) as an 18 year old may give you a clue. But yeah, maybe not. I accept some people need to be spoon fed.

Last edited:

LBJ6

Club Legend
May 6, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Heat
I don't have many inside sources in footy, but I do have a mate that plays for the Casey Scorpions. He's not a Dees fan and feels no loyalty to the club at all, doesn't like/rate all the players, but is adamant that Hogan will be a superstar.

People that have played with Hogan, even briefly, know what star potential he has.

Boyd will probably also be a star, but I see no point in downplaying Hogan's star potential just because he hasn't played an AFL game yet.

******* lol. Melbourne fans are so fanboi-like it's funny.

Every player in the AFL would have mates and ex-teammates who would speak the same way about them. Only Melbourne fans seem to be taking it as gospel.

Last edited:

LBJ6

Club Legend
May 6, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Heat
ManOfClay's argument: Hogan can't be any good because he hasn't played an AFL game.

One of the most ridiculous I've come across and lucky there are some more sensible Bulldogs fans out there (#1 Dogs Fan clearly not being one of them)

ManOfClay's argument: Hogan can't be any good because he hasn't played an AFL game.

Nice strawman, that has not been my argument at all. Read back - all I've said is at this stage both players are all hype and perhaps the wiser judges would wait until both have shown a bit more at AFL level first.

I'd have thought that'd be the logical way to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back