Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boyd, Boyd, Boyd!
Hogan will be good but Tom's got the jumping ability, agility and height to keep Jesse at arms length by the time their careers have come to a conclusion.

Boyd might have good agility, but Hogan is a born footballer, he is ruthless, fearless, tough, strong, and he wants to dominate.
Hogan reminds me of a young Wayne Carey or a young Jonathan Brown. Hogan is a competitive beast. The kid will be a champion.

Pretty happy with Hogan's game yesterday, took some strong marks and attacked the ball really well. Only kicked the one goal but he generally competed really well. I think Mundy was on him for a bit so that would have been a great learning experience as well. Overall a good start in very hot conditions.

McPharlin mate - not Mundy.

I don't like the hogan Carey comparison. Much prefer Jonathan Brown. He was someone who built a career around aerial aggression and hard running.

Not many people have Careys Magic. Buddy has the magic but not the marking power.

On topic it's hard to go past the one with the awesome tank. Both beasts at marking. I've loved boyds skills and footy nous watching him lately

I don't like the hogan Carey comparison. Much prefer Jonathan Brown. He was someone who built a career around aerial aggression and hard running.

Not many people have Careys Magic. Buddy has the magic but not the marking power.

On topic it's hard to go past the one with the awesome tank. Both beasts at marking. I've loved boyds skills and footy nous watching him lately

The Carey comparisons are a bit much, I agree.

Doggies better pray that Boyd comes on in leaps bounds for if he doesn't start to deliver big time, he will wear a lot of critism and the pressure could effect his performances. The million dollar spud. Big risk this purchase. Could be 7 years of angst. Big risk, big win or big f##kup?

It will be a couple of years before we get a indication. For the risk involved give me Hogan. With the little we've seen of both I can't split them on football ability anyway.

I've been pleasantly surprised with how good Boyds skills are around the ground and his ability to win the ball at ground level, stand up in a tackle and get a handball away.

If anything it's been his marking that hasn't been super impressive so far, but I'm not concerned about that in the slightest.

Really hope both Boyd and Hogan line up this week and we get some decent weather for them down at Ballarat!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hogan is and was always more equipped to impact instantly than Boyd is/was. From his brilliant tank to his ability to find the ball further up the ground to his more developed body (not to mention an extra year of AFL-standard development, and a year of state league footy), Hogan's tools are simply more AFL-ready. His ability up the ground, combined with his endurance, is an enormous short-term advantage - he is able to remain in the game even when the delivery is poor, or a defender has his measure. Furthermore his movement allows him greater opportunity to get on the end of some passages of play. Boyd, on the other hand, must rely on his under-developed strength compared to most defenders, which makes his other strengths difficult to utilise. Not to mention that the current lack of alternative, threatening aerial options inside our forward line makes it easy for Boyd to be covered by multiple defenders whenever the ball is directed towards him. His strengths, however - his positioning, ability to read the play, ability to read the flight of the ball superbly, ability to protect the drop zone and uncanny skill and class for a big man, persist. In short, his athletic profile as it stands limits his ability to demand and find the ball, and his strength and power - that was unbelievable compared to his peers at the same age - will need to catch up before he's able to make the most out of limited opportunities.

I still prefer Hogan now and into the future - let me make that clear. The difference here, however, is that we're going to see what he's got from day one, as we did this weekend, and he'll continue to improve - but you aren't going to see what Boyd's truly got until he's developed further. Weekly pissing contests are irrelevant at the best of times but particularly in this situation. We're essentially comparing two very different young players; one who is equipped to instantly provide for his team and another who has the scope to become dominant as his body catches up to his skill set. They may appear similar when broadly categorised into the classic meaningless pigeonhole that is the "key position forward" classification, but in reality the two of them play very different roles in very different ways, and have completely different body types.

Hogan is easily the better player now, and that could well persist into the future - but Hogan is also closer to his peak than Boyd is in my opinion. Both have super high ceilings and both will develop extremely strongly. The expected development curves are quite dissimilar, though, and if all goes as expected plan for both players, Boyd will improve more between now and the end of his career than Hogan will. That's not to say Hogan won't develop, though, nor am I suggesting that it will definitely result in Boyd becoming the better player. I will repeat again: I still think Hogan ends up the better player. Just think it's pointless to run a play-by-play commentary on which is better when it is very likely that the course of their development will differ significantly.

Hogan is and was always more equipped to impact instantly than Boyd is/was. From his brilliant tank to his ability to find the ball further up the ground to his more developed body (not to mention an extra year of AFL-standard development, and a year of state league footy), Hogan's tools are simply more AFL-ready. His ability up the ground, combined with his endurance, is an enormous short-term advantage - he is able to remain in the game even when the delivery is poor, or a defender has his measure. Furthermore his movement allows him greater opportunity to get on the end of some passages of play. Boyd, on the other hand, must rely on his under-developed strength compared to most defenders, which makes his other strengths difficult to utilise. Not to mention that the current lack of alternative, threatening aerial options inside our forward line makes it easy for Boyd to be covered by multiple defenders whenever the ball is directed towards him. His strengths, however - his positioning, ability to read the play, ability to read the flight of the ball superbly, ability to protect the drop zone and uncanny skill and class for a big man, persist. In short, his athletic profile as it stands limits his ability to demand and find the ball, and his strength and power - that was unbelievable compared to his peers at the same age - will need to catch up before he's able to make the most out of limited opportunities.

I still prefer Hogan now and into the future - let me make that clear. The difference here, however, is that we're going to see what he's got from day one, as we did this weekend, and he'll continue to improve - but you aren't going to see what Boyd's truly got until he's developed further. Weekly pissing contests are irrelevant at the best of times but particularly in this situation. We're essentially comparing two very different young players; one who is equipped to instantly provide for his team and another who has the scope to become dominant as his body catches up to his skill set. They may appear similar when broadly categorised into the classic meaningless pigeonhole that is the "key position forward" classification, but in reality the two of them play very different roles in very different ways, and have completely different body types.

Hogan is easily the better player now, and that could well persist into the future - but Hogan is also closer to his peak than Boyd is in my opinion. Both have super high ceilings and both will develop extremely strongly. The expected development curves are quite dissimilar, though, and if all goes as expected plan for both players, Boyd will improve more between now and the end of his career than Hogan will. That's not to say Hogan won't develop, though, nor am I suggesting that it will definitely result in Boyd becoming the better player. I will repeat again: I still think Hogan ends up the better player. Just think it's pointless to run a play-by-play commentary on which is better when it is very likely that the course of their development will differ significantly.

That summation is probably the most even-handed and thoughtful appraisal of these two blokes. It's almost out of place in this thread!

Spot on (and I don't lean one way or the other with these two now or moving forward). Unfortunately, this will be one of those thread which gets bumped every time one of them plays well/poorly. People have selective memories and are extremely quick to pass judgement on a couple of blokes with 10 games experience between them. They SHOULD both be absolute stars by the end of their careers, injuries permitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back