Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hogan is very very good but in eventually Boyd will be better. In 4 years time if you put Boyd in a team with a good midfield he will be unstoppable 1v1 against any defender. If there was any young player worth that ridiculous contract it was him.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Boyd isn't doing much on the stat sheet but yesterday is a perfect example of just how valuable he already is to us. You take out Boyd and replace him with Liam Jones like we had last year, Talia goes to Stringer and holds him pretty well. Instead Talia had his hands full with Boyd all night purely because of size and Stringer was left on Hartigan and absolutely dominated. You could see (and the commentators mentioned it a few times) the few times that Boyd left the forward line for either the ruck or the bench, we weren't just not as dangerous up forward but were outmarked most times the ball went inside 50 and they rebounded. Boyd is very very good at bringing the ball to ground, he hasn't stuck that many yet (although we know he's obviously capable of it) but honestly I can't remember one instance in the last 4 weeks that he has actually been outmarked, not saying it hasn't happened just its very very rare.

Hogan is very very good but in eventually Boyd will be better. In 4 years time if you put Boyd in a team with a good midfield he will be unstoppable 1v1 against any defender. If there was any young player worth that ridiculous contract it was him.

This could happen. For all the unanimous talk about Hogan being so much better (which is partly true, he has played better), he has only kicked two more goals this season than Boyd.

Hogan is a bit of a man-child and don't think he has as much physical development in him than Boyd. Boyd has a hell of a lot of physical development to go.

Both players are going to improve with experience but I think Boyd has more scope to do so. Which bodes well given he's kept pace with Hogan so far without breaking even.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
This could happen. For all the unanimous talk about Hogan being so much better (which is partly true, he has played better), he has only kicked two more goals this season than Boyd.

Hogan is a bit of a man-child and don't think he has as much physical development in him than Boyd. Boyd has a hell of a lot of physical development to go.

Both players are going to improve with experience but I think Boyd has more scope to do so. Which bodes well given he's kept pace with Hogan so far without breaking even.

Hogan is more of a CHF, measuring them on goals doesn't tell the story because rance had 28 touches on boyd whilst hogan was a big part of melbourne winning

Also hogan spent a year out with a back injury, he isn't even close to delivering on his potential yet

Who's gonna be better? Who ******* cares .. The petty arguing from some dees and dogs fans is stupid

Hogan is more of a CHF, measuring them on goals doesn't tell the story

And by the same token measuring them on marks, like some are doing, doesn't tell the full story. Hogan is around the ball more being a CHF, while Boyd is playing much closer to goal.

Boyd's impact is a big part of why we are 3 and 1. I argued a lot with a certain Saints supporter who I now have on ignore about this - I said teams would be forced to play their best defender on Boyd because of his size, which he said wasn't true. On the weekend the Crows had to play Talia on Boyd. He got his two goals (same as Hogan did on the same opponent) but the real impact was it allowed Stringer to be directly matched up with a lesser defender who he proceeded to maul for three quarters.

Even with Stringer's sixth goal, kicked after Talia had moved onto him, the ball was lost in transition and Talia was sucked into chasing the leading Boyd, leaving Stringer in 20m of space at the top of the goalsquare.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
And by the same token measuring them on marks, like some are doing, doesn't tell the full story. Hogan is around the ball more being a CHF, while Boyd is playing much closer to goal.

Boyd's impact is a big part of why we are 3 and 1. I argued a lot with a certain Saints supporter who I now have on ignore about this - I said teams would be forced to play their best defender on Boyd because of his size, which he said wasn't true. On the weekend the Crows had to play Talia on Boyd. He got his two goals (same as Hogan did on the same opponent) but the real impact was it allowed Stringer to be directly matched up with a lesser defender who he proceeded to maul for three quarters.

Even with Stringer's sixth goal, kicked after Talia had moved onto him, the ball was lost in transition and Talia was sucked into chasing the leading Boyd, leaving Stringer in 20m of space at the top of the goalsquare.

I'm not arguing with you on this , I think getting Boyd was a fantastic move by the dogs and he will be integral to your set up for a long time

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Lol Hogan is a man child?

Boyd was 10cm's and 15 kgs heavier than everyone else as a junior, that's the definition of a man child.

Hogan looks like he's borrowed his older brothers jumper, he can get heaps bigger imo.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Lol Hogan is a man child?

Boyd was 10cm's and 15 kgs heavier than everyone else as a junior, that's the definition of a man child.

Hogan looks like he's borrowed his older brothers jumper, he can get heaps bigger imo.

Yeah, look at the definition in his arms and chest, he will get a lot more defined as he gets older and even stronger

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hogan IMO currently as it stands is a better player. One of my favourite players in the comp already and if I could chose one more player in the comp to join the dogs it would be him.

That being said T.Boyd injection into our side has been so invaluable, hes already drawing a heap of defenders and its causing chaos when the ball hits the ground. Massive massive addition for us. His past 2 weeks hes got multiples too so he is starting to clunk a few.

Boydy has already worked out that he might be limited to the number 2 forward slot in our forward line. Some other beast currently holds number 1.

Sedat!

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Duck says Hogan is better so it's Hogan.
There has been IMO a rather distasteful campaign by some sections of the media to trash talk Boyd - all of Duck, Matthews and Lloyd especially have played the man (and his contract) and not the ball. In sharp contrast, the likes of Dunstall are far more rational and professional, choosing to focus on Boyd's progress and value to the team purely based on his on-field performance and structural importance to our team.

I am personally thrilled with what Boyd is providing for us structurally up forward, which we virtually haven't had since the VFL days. Expecting anything more from a 2nd year key forward than what Boyd is producing for us is idiocy of the highest order. Injuries aside, of course he will continue to get better at his craft at this level, which is a very exciting thought for Dogs fans.

Similarly, I'm very impressed with what I've seen of Hogan. He does seem like more of the roaming CHF (very reminiscent of Schwarz at his peak, who was an amazing athlete) and Boyd more of the stay at home forward who pinch-hits in the ruck. Reckon they are both beauties.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Both players are both great players and are great for 2 clubs who in recent years have been down and need a lift.

For Hogan - agree with the comparison of Schwarz. Both are CHF strong and contesting targets (hence the name Ox).
For Boyd - think Salmon. Full Forward towering infernos that can ruck if need be and give a great target deep.

Ideal scenario - both in the same team.

Strategically great idea for Doggies to tie up Boyd on a long term contract with big dollars. Not sure what Melbourne have done contractually but hoping like crazy that my Claremont FC graduate in Hogan only signs short term deals and wants to come home! Not likely to happen but Melbourne should throw a heap of money at him and tie him up for another 5 years.

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What's funny about this thread is that if you could pick two kpfs that would make the perfect forward line for the future, none would fit better together than these two. Both fantastic marks, one is a prototype gorilla CHF and the other a prototype gorilla FF. Wouldn't that be a sight

Jan 3, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Miami Heat, West Ham, Footscray
What's funny about this thread is that if you could pick two kpfs that would make the perfect forward line for the future, none would fit better together than these two. Both fantastic marks, one is a prototype gorilla CHF and the other a prototype gorilla FF. Wouldn't that be a sight

I just had a vision of Macrae, Bont, Libba and co sending the ball down to a forward line of Boyd, Hogan and Stringer.

Uh... excuse me for a moment... :drunk:

Cudi_420

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2010
East Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hogan is lacking in one area and that's pace. I'm not sure what Boyd is like but Hogan is very slow over short distances. He makes up for this with sheer grunt and getting the ball to the ground, which makes having good crumbers and mids around him absolutely integral for his contribution to the team to be optimised.

What I'm most impressed about with Hogan is just his capacity to compete because he's really not THAT big and bulky. He's actually quite lean. He's more like a young Roughead whereas Boyd seems more like a Kennedy. More versatile and flexible. I think both players are going be very valuable to the Dees and Doggies. It's great that two future stars of the game are part of two of the "smaller" clubs. About time I say!

IMO they're both forwards but they play a different game. You can expect Hogan to crash a pack and take a strong contested mark but with Boyd you know he's going to be very hard to beat 1-on-1. Hogan probably suits Roos' gameplay better anyway, that slow, stoppage-based game style. It suits then that he's a rough-around-the-edges kind of player.

Pointless even comparing them imo.

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
Hogan is lacking in one area and that's pace. .
Really? I haven't paid attention to that much, but all the commentators seem to praise him for his pace off the mark, ran a 3.02 in his draft combine which is decent even for a midfielder.

To partly explain this without saying that Hogan is better than Boyd, Melbourne are lowest in the comp for inside 50s, averaging 43 per game against the Bulldogs' 52. Hogan generally works much further up the ground than Boyd does too, and plays quite a few minutes through the middle. Averages 6 score involvements to Boyd's 3, 6 marks per game to Boyd's 3, 7 contested possessions per game against 3. Hogan's taken 13 contested marks this season while Boyd's taken 3. Boyd leads in handballs (4 to 3) and tackles (3 to 2). Also has 4 more goal assists Boyd's game against Hawthorn was probably more impressive than any game Hogan's played so far, but he also has the added advantage of 9 games in 2014 under his belt and spending the year fit.

At any rate, I couldn't care less about the head to head comparisons. Given the current quality of each list the Bulldogs are much closer to a premiership than we are, and Boyd looks more likely to be a premiership spearhead than Hogan. That's what I'm more worried about.

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
Boyd needs to lose weight. Not being 'AFL ready' doesn't just mean putting on muscle, in Boyd's case it's losing 5kg of fat (aswell as putting on muscle).

He came from GWS looking like he'd eaten a small family, don't know how he got so big.

It's interesting - if not for the mini-draft the Bulldogs would have likely selected one of Boyd or Martin at pick #1, leaving the other and Hogan to slide to #2. The Dees would have had a lot more to think about before trading pick #2 to GWS, and you'd think that with Hogan there they probably wouldn't have given up the pick which would mean no Tyson and Salem. So in that sense it worked quite well for us.

But then again if not for the mini-draft we wouldn't have traded pick #3 to GWS for Hogan in 2012, and would have taken Ollie Wines along with Toumpas. So that didn't quite go as well. We'd have also had pick #13 to take a Grundy type (although no pick #20 to trade for Dawes the spud).

Most important outcome - that Hogan is at the club. And I guess this is all conjectural (though probably accurate)

Hogan and Boyd are like the NRoo and kosy of the 2013 draft

Boyd is Kosy FWIW

Yet only one of these players has any notable injury complaints and it's not the guy who you are comparing to the walking injury in Kosi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back