Tom Boyd vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
62.5% accuracy. Pretty good rate to be honest.

Compare that to someone like, say, Tom Boyd who has kicked six goals one behind for the year.

Check out his goal from the boundary in the wet on Friday night, not bad for a bloke whose set shots 'aren't quite there'. Imagine what he could do if they were.

Jake Stringer did the same thing vs West Coast. And his set shots are worse than Hogans.

Compare that to someone like, say, Tom Boyd who has kicked six goals one behind for the year.

Jake Stringer did the same thing vs West Coast. And his set shots are worse than Hogans.
So Tom Boyd's had half as many shots on goal? Cool. I'll take the guy who's had 13 shots over the one who's had 7 even if it were (which it isn't) like Scott Gumbleton vs Matthew Lloyd in the conversion stakes

So Tom Boyd's had half as many shots on goal? Cool. I'll take the guy who's had 13 shots over the one who's had 7 even if it were (which it isn't) like Scott Gumbleton vs Matthew Lloyd in the conversion stakes

You know the old cliche, poor kicking is poor football

To date Jesse Hogan is in front of Boyd. He is far more advanced. Reading the recent article from Emme Q in the Age it seems having last year off footy (due to injury) has actually assisted him in his preperation. That along with playing in the VFL as an underager and playing to a level which saw him win the Casey B&F from about 12 or so games. He has now completed 3 pre seasons and has a massive tank and work rate that Boyd just does not possess at this stage.
This thread will continue with the same old arguements however we really need to visit in about 5 years and see what has happended. I think at that time Hogan will be better however Boyd could still be a very good player as well.

I think it's interesting that on the basis of a month of football and a few tenuous player comparisons, we're seeing posts like 'Sure, Boyd is what the Dogs need, but Hogan is on another level, he's Carey-esque' (embarrassing), and vice versa.

Both were dominant before they were legally allowed to drive or buy a drink, and you can see that in their game at AFL level - they're performing at a level that most 19 year old key forwards just don't.

Both have a bit of growing into their bodies to do. Both provide much-needed structure to their respective teams, and both have had a good 2015 so far.

Boyd needs more top end speed to be an elite power forward - He needs the ability to win the ball on the lead,which he hasn't shown yet - Boyd is currently relying on his contested marking ability which has its limitations - Running coach for Boyd.

As a neutral third party, so far,
Hogan has taken more marks, marks I50, Contested Marks, generated more I50, Kicked more goals. These are things you want from your KPFs, I know who I'd prefer.

It's also round 4. Both blokes should play 250 games, maybe we can judge it then instead of in their first 10 games.

Sure, he's no Travis Cloke but he has kicked almost as many behinds as goals. Has kicked eight goals, five behinds for the year. Not a bad kick generally but his set shots aren't quite there.

Cue the breathless abuse from the usual suspects for criticising Hogan
arrggh clueless as i have ever seen.

Obviously did see his goal in the wet from the boundary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd with two goals in the wet and named our 3rd best player today against a seriously good side.

A bit of a stretch for 9 touches, he was promisig again though from what I saw.

Wouldnt have had him in your top 5.

I only watched the second half. Boy do the doggies young players look good, but I have NFI how Boyd was rated in your best players. Must have had a good first half.

So he shouldn't accept any free kick?
Not what I said. I've made my elation at the Dogs victory pretty clear, but I don't think today was a great advert for Tom Boyd. I thought he should have been put in the ruck and Roughead should have sat in the square. You guys desperately needed a presence in the forward line in the second half.

Not what I said. I've made my elation at the Dogs victory pretty clear, but I don't think today was a great advert for Tom Boyd. I thought he should have been put in the ruck and Roughead should have sat in the square. You guys desperately needed a presence in the forward line in the second half.

So we should have put our #1 key forward in the ruck and our key defender/ruckman at full forward?

Is that you Neeldy?

whoa talk about seeing things differently. The way i saw it was he was troubling the swans but the coaching move to sub off cordy made us lose some potency by not being able to have him there more. His ruck work was good though.

in hindsight maybe we're just finding different ways of looking at the same thing. I loved him today though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back