Multiplat Tom Clancy's The Division

Remove this Banner Ad

Righto i played the beta for a few hours last night and some impressions on the game so far.
- The Graphics are downgrade on there e3 showing but not bad, you are able to change some settings in the visual menu and it looked a little better imo after i did that.
- The cover system works really well, it's smooth a very easy to use, although a few times while i was shooting from behind cover and i zoomed in with my scope my controls turned inverted and i had to stop for a second and it would change back.
- The Ai is very inconsistent and dumb, one second they are trying to flank then the next they stand there and take bullets for fun. Also there are these baseball bat hooded guys that just charge at you which leads me to my next point.
- Lack of a takedown system, yea there is a melee button but that's useful as a salad bar at an all you can eat buffet.
- The game is made for co-op play, yea you can lone wolf it but geez when those enemies start getting harder you will have real trouble by yourself.
- There seems to be a fair bit of weapons and operations base you can upgrade but a lot of it is locked atm so you cant see what certain thing do.
- I feel you are going to have to go in the DZ(darkzone is the ) to get those better weapons, if this isn't your thing then bad luck ladies.
- The dz seemed ok (wasnt in there for long) i tried to kill a couple of blokes that were trying to extract some loot but got smashed by about 10 blokes both times lol. People seemed to work together, well not kill each other mostly but who knows how that will go when the full release comes out and it actually matters. I think they got the atmosphere spot on in the DZ, it felt creepy at night.
The main mission i did worried me with how it went, walk into a room kill a wave of enemies, talk to a person and then kill a wave of enemies, oh wait there is another random wave of enemies jumping over the wall. Mission end.
My biggest gripe.
- The city is jut a bit too bare for my liking, yea i know it's meant to be like that in a way but geez, i found myself exploring for a good 20 mins while running to a side mission and i found 2 enemies in that whole time, and yep they were robbing a dead body (seems to be the only random s**t that happens) so i had a shoot out for 30 seconds and moved on. Hopefully it's just a low level thing and it picks up in locked parts of the map but random s**t is just lacking big time.

In saying that i don't mind it, my initial hype has subsided a bit but i'm still very interested in the game.

unfortunately Destiny pretty much ruins you for shooter mechanics though

I'm thick as a brick, do you mean Destiny is far superior in shooter mechanics? if so 1000% agree.

I've moaned about Destiny more than I've praised it but it's gotten a scrub like me who isn't a fan of shooters to pump more hours into it then any other game I've ever played, so they've done something right.

Feel this borrows more from Last of Us than games like Destiny though apart from the obvious differences. I've only played a couple of hours though and haven't put solid time into this so I could be off the mark.

Righto i played the beta for a few hours last night and some impressions on the game so far.
- The Graphics are downgrade on there e3 showing but not bad, you are able to change some settings in the visual menu and it looked a little better imo after i did that.
- The cover system works really well, it's smooth a very easy to use, although a few times while i was shooting from behind cover and i zoomed in with my scope my controls turned inverted and i had to stop for a second and it would change back.
- The Ai is very inconsistent and dumb, one second they are trying to flank then the next they stand there and take bullets for fun. Also there are these baseball bat hooded guys that just charge at you which leads me to my next point.
- Lack of a takedown system, yea there is a melee button but that's useful as a salad bar at an all you can eat buffet.
- The game is made for co-op play, yea you can lone wolf it but geez when those enemies start getting harder you will have real trouble by yourself.
- There seems to be a fair bit of weapons and operations base you can upgrade but a lot of it is locked atm so you cant see what certain thing do.
- I feel you are going to have to go in the DZ(darkzone is the ) to get those better weapons, if this isn't your thing then bad luck ladies.
- The dz seemed ok (wasnt in there for long) i tried to kill a couple of blokes that were trying to extract some loot but got smashed by about 10 blokes both times lol. People seemed to work together, well not kill each other mostly but who knows how that will go when the full release comes out and it actually matters. I think they got the atmosphere spot on in the DZ, it felt creepy at night.
The main mission i did worried me with how it went, walk into a room kill a wave of enemies, talk to a person and then kill a wave of enemies, oh wait there is another random wave of enemies jumping over the wall. Mission end.
My biggest gripe.
- The city is jut a bit too bare for my liking, yea i know it's meant to be like that in a way but geez, i found myself exploring for a good 20 mins while running to a side mission and i found 2 enemies in that whole time, and yep they were robbing a dead body (seems to be the only random s**t that happens) so i had a shoot out for 30 seconds and moved on. Hopefully it's just a low level thing and it picks up in locked parts of the map but random s**t is just lacking big time.

In saying that i don't mind it, my initial hype has subsided a bit but i'm still very interested in the game.

great review seems very comprehensive, one thing though there was no downgrade, a dev spilt the beans on what happened.
What was shown at E3 was taken and given to separate team to work on and make it to look much better then the game ever was, apparently massive is very pissed off at ubisoft over it.

personally i find that even worse, imagine a car couple advertises a V6 but when you go to buy it there's only a 4 cylinder model.

Probably shouldve pre ordered and got a code to try it out. I remember the Destiny beta being pretty craptacular with very little to do and i still ended up putting hundreds of hours into that game. Guess it's a wait for reviews, watch gameplays online and see who else picks it up situation for me.

had a ripping session last night. Fair to say I am hyped about this game, so much fun. Last night I jumped in by myself just to fart around before it finished (which I thought was last night but it wasn't). I tooled around the dark zone but some guy shot me in the back, killing me and going rogue. So naturally I got my blood up and spawned as nearby as possible and went hunting for him. He was holed up on a balcony in a garage up some stairs, in a ******* great spot. I got up to him and engaged in a firefight, and got killed again. Fuming now I respawned close by and chased him again. Got killed again. Anyway, that happened about 7 or 8 times! Spawn in, hunt him, but he's too well dug in. Even had some other guys trying to get him too but the little prick is in a great spot.

So eventually I get real jack of it and decide this guy is going down hell or high water. I spend about 5 minutes doing some other stuff and hunting enemy NPC's, then head back to old mate. The thing about being rogue is you have a big red mark on your head, but if you're not rogue you don't show up on other people's maps, which is really cool. And when you're rogue you have a count down with length depending how rogue you are, and the thing is, as soon as you shoot another non-rogue guy your counter resets. So even though this guy had been locked down for about 20 minutes he was still red hot because people had been hunting him (largely me).

So I sneak up the stairs to his hideout and see him crouched behind a wall. I fling a nade at him and nail him with it, dart round the corner and finally gun the little * down. So, as you do, I did star jumps on his corpse which is a bit like teabagging I reckon (when you're killed rogue you have to lie there for 30 seconds before you can respawn), and also did some seriously aggressing applauding at him. So he messages me after and I'm expecting a hammering, but he actually is laughing saying he didn't mean to go rogue. I wrote back and said c'mon man, you shot me in the back! And he says that he had been hunted by the crew he accidentally shot and thought I was one of them. So I laughed and congratulated him on how crazy he'd driven me being so dug in, and he suggested we group, so we did.

Turns out to be a pretty cool guy from Sydney, and we then spend the next couple of hours roaming together, hunting down rogues, enemy NPC's, getting sweet loot and extracting it. Of course we also teamed up a few times to kill guys and go rogue. Especially when people are extracting, it's tense as * because you have no idea if people are trustworthy and just want to use your chopper to get their gear out, or if they are going to drop a nade on your ass and try and steal your s**t just before extraction then use it to get your s**t out. On one occasion we were waiting to extract at a lonely location and there was one other guy. Old mate says "you wanna rip him" and I'm like "sure"; then the guy pipes up and says "I can hear you you know!" hahahahaha dat proximity chat. Er, sorry mate, as you were.

My best bit last night was having some dudes go rogue on my ass and kill me and take my stuff at extraction. Was pretty annoyed but hey. Then 20 minutes later I come across a lone guy extracting. There's no-one else around, and he's pretty low level and not exactly looking like he's aware of what can happen, he's not hiding a little way away, but more or less just waiting for his chopper innocently. I' hiding about 20 metres away and think about it, and think yeah, * this guy. Then out of nowhere who should show up? The utensil who'd killed me 20 minutes ago! Although he's no longer rogue, so to kill him I'd have to go rogue. But then I see he has the same idea about this poor schmuck, and pretty obviously gets into position to take the kid out. But he has no idea I'm nearby. Chopper arrives, 10s to extraction and sure enough the guy slays the poor kid. I laugh, fling a nade at him, pop out and light him up, and take great pleasure in going to his crippled body and giving him a melee to death. So end result I get the bonus for killing a rogue (him) plus I get the original guys loot straight on to the awaiting chopper. Had me cheering like nothing else, I was pumped.

I reckon this game has so much potential. Day one purchase for me for sure. Just shattered all my sweet loot won't be there in the non-beta!

had a ripping session last night. Fair to say I am hyped about this game, so much fun. Last night I jumped in by myself just to fart around before it finished (which I thought was last night but it wasn't). I tooled around the dark zone but some guy shot me in the back, killing me and going rogue. So naturally I got my blood up and spawned as nearby as possible and went hunting for him. He was holed up on a balcony in a garage up some stairs, in a ******* great spot. I got up to him and engaged in a firefight, and got killed again. Fuming now I respawned close by and chased him again. Got killed again. Anyway, that happened about 7 or 8 times! Spawn in, hunt him, but he's too well dug in. Even had some other guys trying to get him too but the little prick is in a great spot.

So eventually I get real jack of it and decide this guy is going down hell or high water. I spend about 5 minutes doing some other stuff and hunting enemy NPC's, then head back to old mate. The thing about being rogue is you have a big red mark on your head, but if you're not rogue you don't show up on other people's maps, which is really cool. And when you're rogue you have a count down with length depending how rogue you are, and the thing is, as soon as you shoot another non-rogue guy your counter resets. So even though this guy had been locked down for about 20 minutes he was still red hot because people had been hunting him (largely me).

So I sneak up the stairs to his hideout and see him crouched behind a wall. I fling a nade at him and nail him with it, dart round the corner and finally gun the little **** down. So, as you do, I did star jumps on his corpse which is a bit like teabagging I reckon (when you're killed rogue you have to lie there for 30 seconds before you can respawn), and also did some seriously aggressing applauding at him. So he messages me after and I'm expecting a hammering, but he actually is laughing saying he didn't mean to go rogue. I wrote back and said c'mon man, you shot me in the back! And he says that he had been hunted by the crew he accidentally shot and thought I was one of them. So I laughed and congratulated him on how crazy he'd driven me being so dug in, and he suggested we group, so we did.

Turns out to be a pretty cool guy from Sydney, and we then spend the next couple of hours roaming together, hunting down rogues, enemy NPC's, getting sweet loot and extracting it. Of course we also teamed up a few times to kill guys and go rogue. Especially when people are extracting, it's tense as **** because you have no idea if people are trustworthy and just want to use your chopper to get their gear out, or if they are going to drop a nade on your ass and try and steal your s**t just before extraction then use it to get your s**t out. On one occasion we were waiting to extract at a lonely location and there was one other guy. Old mate says "you wanna rip him" and I'm like "sure"; then the guy pipes up and says "I can hear you you know!" hahahahaha dat proximity chat. Er, sorry mate, as you were.

My best bit last night was having some dudes go rogue on my ass and kill me and take my stuff at extraction. Was pretty annoyed but hey. Then 20 minutes later I come across a lone guy extracting. There's no-one else around, and he's pretty low level and not exactly looking like he's aware of what can happen, he's not hiding a little way away, but more or less just waiting for his chopper innocently. I' hiding about 20 metres away and think about it, and think yeah, **** this guy. Then out of nowhere who should show up? The utensil who'd killed me 20 minutes ago! Although he's no longer rogue, so to kill him I'd have to go rogue. But then I see he has the same idea about this poor schmuck, and pretty obviously gets into position to take the kid out. But he has no idea I'm nearby. Chopper arrives, 10s to extraction and sure enough the guy slays the poor kid. I laugh, fling a nade at him, pop out and light him up, and take great pleasure in going to his crippled body and giving him a melee to death. So end result I get the bonus for killing a rogue (him) plus I get the original guys loot straight on to the awaiting chopper. Had me cheering like nothing else, I was pumped.

I reckon this game has so much potential. Day one purchase for me for sure. Just shattered all my sweet loot won't be there in the non-beta!
I wasn't in the dz very long but imo they have nailed what they were preaching with trusting or not trusting people, you just aren't sure wtf will happen.

So I sneak up the stairs to his hideout and see him crouched behind a wall. I fling a nade at him and nail him with it, dart round the corner and finally gun the little **** down. So, as you do, I did star jumps on his corpse which is a bit like teabagging I reckon (when you're killed rogue you have to lie there for 30 seconds before you can respawn), and also did some seriously aggressing applauding at him. So he messages me after and I'm expecting a hammering, but he actually is laughing saying he didn't mean to go rogue. I wrote back and said c'mon man, you shot me in the back! And he says that he had been hunted by the crew he accidentally shot and thought I was one of them. So I laughed and congratulated him on how crazy he'd driven me being so dug in, and he suggested we group, so we did.

Turns out to be a pretty cool guy from Sydney, and we then spend the next couple of hours roaming together, hunting down rogues, enemy NPC's, getting sweet loot and extracting it. Of course we also teamed up a few times to kill guys and go rogue. Especially when people are extracting, it's tense as **** because you have no idea if people are trustworthy and just want to use your chopper to get their gear out, or if they are going to drop a nade on your ass and try and steal your s**t just before extraction then use it to get your s**t out. On one occasion we were waiting to extract at a lonely location and there was one other guy. Old mate says "you wanna rip him" and I'm like "sure"; then the guy pipes up and says "I can hear you you know!" hahahahaha dat proximity chat. Er, sorry mate, as you were.

My best bit last night was having some dudes go rogue on my ass and kill me and take my stuff at extraction. Was pretty annoyed but hey. Then 20 minutes later I come across a lone guy extracting. There's no-one else around, and he's pretty low level and not exactly looking like he's aware of what can happen, he's not hiding a little way away, but more or less just waiting for his chopper innocently. I' hiding about 20 metres away and think about it, and think yeah, **** this guy. Then out of nowhere who should show up? The utensil who'd killed me 20 minutes ago! Although he's no longer rogue, so to kill him I'd have to go rogue. But then I see he has the same idea about this poor schmuck, and pretty obviously gets into position to take the kid out. But he has no idea I'm nearby. Chopper arrives, 10s to extraction and sure enough the guy slays the poor kid. I laugh, fling a nade at him, pop out and light him up, and take great pleasure in going to his crippled body and giving him a melee to death. So end result I get the bonus for killing a rogue (him) plus I get the original guys loot straight on to the awaiting chopper. Had me cheering like nothing else, I was pumped.

You made me want this god damn it!

Shame I don't have online!

Probably shouldve pre ordered and got a code to try it out. I remember the Destiny beta being pretty craptacular with very little to do and i still ended up putting hundreds of hours into that game. Guess it's a wait for reviews, watch gameplays online and see who else picks it up situation for me.

Same boat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

41-reasons-why-pugs-are-the-most-majestic-creatur-1-11937-1379512969-0_big.jpg

I wasn't in the dz very long but imo they have nailed what they were preaching with trusting or not trusting people, you just aren't sure wtf will happen.

I reckon over time people will just go in tooled up with their mates and it'll be like GTA Online where there's multiple *ers just concerned with killing people.

But wandering through there it already seems like the best element of the beta. Purely because it was the only part that I've played that made me feel something. You get nervous when you see people wandering around purely because you don't know their motives.

There wasn't enough enemy AI to shoot for my liking though, but that might just have been the server I was on. Very sparse atm.

I reckon over time people will just go in tooled up with their mates and it'll be like GTA Online where there's multiple gooses just concerned with killing people.

But wandering through there it already seems like the best element of the beta. Purely because it was the only part that I've played that made me feel something. You get nervous when you see people wandering around purely because you don't know their motives.

There wasn't enough enemy AI to shoot for my liking though, but that might just have been the server I was on. Very sparse atm.
The lack of Ai is a growing concern amongst a lot of people. Did you go into the subway?

Anyone want a xb1 beta code?
KM3H6-HR3MQ-JVJJY-Q2DRP-GGXRZ

Last edited:
Open beta 19th-21st. Xbox gets it a day earlier on 18th.

New story mission available.
In game reward for participating.

PC cheating issues have been largely resolved.

Also to note, we will have access to a new skill from the Tech tree to test out.

Dead Zone will be further populated with NPCs to resolve the complaints of the empty feeling.

Yaaaaaaay!

Are those beta dates for Australia or is adjustment on timezone required?

Open beta can be downloaded on all systems today. Xbox beta starts tomorrow for us Aussies. 8pm Melb time. Other systems the day after

Remove this Banner Ad

Back