Toast Tom Hawkins

Gysenn

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Imagine where we'd be right now if this man still couldn't touch his toes? That was such a huge issue coming into this season that we were all very, very worried about - compounded by the Vardy ACL - but it seems like so long ago now.

The reports at the end of 2013 were that he would have a huge responsibility relating to his own rehabilitation in the off season - plenty of swimming, aerobics work I believe? Looks like he stuck to it and it's worked an absolute treat.

He's kicked 3 or more goals for the last seven games straight - for a total of 11 games this season. On just three occasions this year has he been held to less than 3 goals - 0.3 against Richmond, 2.2 against Brisbane and 1.1 against Adelaide. How's that for consistency?

He's "throwing his opponent away like a rag-doll" week in, week out, clunking his marks, backing himself in for the difficult set shots, and always seems to be the one that pops up to kick an important goal in the last term...

Great stuff, Tom.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
I hate to be that guy - but can you imagine if we had last year's form with this year's Tommy!

Imagine where we'd be right now if this man still couldn't touch his toes? That was such a huge issue coming into this season that we were all very, very worried about - compounded by the Vardy ACL - but it seems like so long ago now.

The reports at the end of 2013 were that he would have a huge responsibility relating to his own rehabilitation in the off season - plenty of swimming, aerobics work I believe? Looks like he stuck to it and it's worked an absolute treat.

He's kicked 3 or more goals for the last seven games straight - for a total of 11 games this season. On just three occasions this year has he been held to less than 3 goals - 0.3 against Richmond, 2.2 against Brisbane and 1.1 against Adelaide. How's that for consistency?

He's "throwing his opponent away like a rag-doll" week in, week out, clunking his marks, backing himself in for the difficult set shots, and always seems to be the one that pops up to kick an important goal in the last term...

Great stuff, Tom.

It wasn't until our two home games this season @ etihad where I was sitting in the second row that I got a true appreciation or just how ******* huge Tom is... No wonder he ragdolls opponents, they simply can't move him.

He has got that big and strong now, that when he bends over to pick up the ball you just know he's going to 9 times out 10 break the tackle and dish off the handball... Which is an asset for a tall forward to have as the tendency for opposition teams is to try and double team tackle him... Thus leaving someone free for a handball receive.

In years gone by when his goal kicking was iffy at best, you sort closed your eyes and hoped he kicked the goal... Now he's expected to kick them and it's disappointing and surprising when he misses.

A combination of Walker, Brown and Kersten does not inspire confidence... Having Tom in the forward line makes them walk taller and makes our forward line so much more potent.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
TH2.gif

Linx

Club Legend
May 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
If you look at our percentage (106.8%) after 15 rounds, it is indicative of a team that is normally ranked between 6th to 12th. Hawkins has single handily won us two games (Hawks and Pies) and played a major role in winning the Carlton (4 goals in a quarter) and Essendon (the game sealer) games.

If it wasn't for Hawkins this year, we would be 8-6 or potentially even 7-7 or 6-8. Just goes to show how important he is to our team. He is the difference between us being a top 4 candidate to a very average, middle of the road team.

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
If you look at our percentage (106.8%) after 15 rounds, it is indicative of a team that is normally ranked between 6th to 12th. Hawkins has single handily won us two games (Hawks and Pies) and played a major role in winning the Carlton (4 goals in a quarter) and Essendon (the game sealer) games.

If it wasn't for Hawkins this year, we would be 8-6 or potentially even 7-7 or 6-8. Just goes to show how important he is to our team. He is the difference between us being a top 4 candidate to a very average, middle of the road team.
Time to go watch the Cats vs North Melbourne final game from a few years back. That was football at its best. This team needs to find a way to build some consistency and teamwork, at the moment we are getting by on individual accolades with a few too many passengers.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm

Not only the goals he has kicked either. He has given away or heavily influenced as many as he has kicked in our close wins against the Pies, Bombers, Pies and Hawks.

MattTbone

Senior List
Jul 11, 2010
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawkins has been extremely impressive this year and without him, for sure, we would definitely be struggling a lot more.

Hawkins has been extremely impressive this year and without him, for sure, we would definitely be struggling a lot more.
Considering our next best goal kickers are Murdoch and Bartel on 15 each

We are so blessed, not just with what they can do on the field, but the type of people they are off it. Tom signed my sons jumper at training today and I casually said "Tom eats all his meat and vegies at dinner" to which he chipped in "and I always listen to Mum and Dad". Very nice bloke.
A few years ago a good friend of mine arranged for the babysitter to look after his kids. She asked whether she could bring along a friend. Turned out to be Tom. The parents came home about 3 hours later and there was Tom playing table tennis with the kids. The parents were super impressed.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
We all get frustrated with our run of injuries and sometimes question their management - however this is a fantastic turnaround from a seemingly dire situation last season. Kudos to all concerned and to Tom for getting himself right. :thumbsu:

We all get frustrated with our run of injuries and sometimes question their management - however this is a fantastic turnaround from a seemingly dire situation last season. Kudos to all concerned and to Tom for getting himself right. :thumbsu:

After the way the Medical staff got SKEWERED last year, bashed from pillar to post for getting it wrong… seems maybe they got it right after all and no surgery. Perhaps a few posters could own their errors with a few " My bads"….

GO Catters

Back