Toast Tom Hawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

I've often thought that he needs to set out deliberately to do it more often.
Even if he just plucks one every 2 or 3 games, it raises a whole new set of questions in the minds of the defenders about where to position themselves; in particular, it can drag a 2nd or 3rd man into a useless position behind the pack, blocking his potential run.
And he had the leaping ability, of course, as he showed as a schoolboy athlete and early in his career, though it may now be limited by his increased bulk and back problems. But something is probably still there, they didn't call his old man Jumping Jack for nothing.
It's a trade off I guess in the modern game bulk v agility you see players who come in like Hawk with the ability to take big marks and in 3 or 4 preseason are struggling to jump over a garden hose.Also the size of this generation of player compared to our day when big Bill Ryan 188cm/87 kgs was pulling down screamers might be a factor.

Are people unhappy with his output in general atm? I'd love for him to be taking screamers too, but I'm equally happy with him kicking 3-4 a game.
I reckon Hawk is going just fine,it what we are supporting him with up forward that is still a work in progress and I for one think they will run out of time this year,hope not though.

If hawk can average 2 to 3 , build K Man up to 2 to 3 , get Menzel or another medium to average 2-3 , its near perfect. Of course what is a tad better is if all of these targets have the odd game where they kick 5 or 6. Its reinforces their ability to score in the minds of defenders.
For the moment we lack another real strong forward, find one and we will start to look dangerous again.

If hawk can average 2 to 3 , build K Man up to 2 to 3 , get Menzel or another medium to average 2-3 , its near perfect. Of course what is a tad better is if all of these targets have the odd game where they kick 5 or 6. Its reinforces their ability to score in the minds of defenders.
For the moment we lack another real strong forward, find one and we will start to look dangerous again.

And even better when we find a crumber to take up part of Chapman's slack.

Are people unhappy with his output in general atm? I'd love for him to be taking screamers too, but I'm equally happy with him kicking 3-4 a game.

He's going at 2.8 a game. I'm happy relative to the fact that last year we weren't sure if he'd ever get over his back. Though if he is indeed over his back, I think 2.8 a game is under expectation for a guy of his talent. Perhaps he's not completely over his back...

He's going at 2.8 a game. I'm happy relative to the fact that last year we weren't sure if he'd ever get over his back. Though if he is indeed over his back, I think 2.8 a game is under expectation for a guy of his talent. Perhaps he's not completely over his back...
It's not how we play. As a team we under utilise him big time.

It does seem that way at times. Dating back to 2007 even, the Geelong system hasn't been that conducive to big bags from key forwards. We simply don't direct it through the big guys as much as some other teams.
Capable midfielders. I don't mind that. T-Hawk has huge upside, and not much downside. We're luck enough to have a side capable of kicking goals outside of a key forward.

Whereas...
Probably a good thing we've seen what happens to sides when their key forward who they've relied so heavily on goes missing. Pies *cough*.

One out or screamers.. kinda don't care how Tommy gets them as long as he gets them. 3-4 a game is perfect for mine. Luv a bag of 9 sure but 100 odd goals a year is great thanks.

And of course, the secondary effect is that he drags defenders to him opening up Kersto, Vardy if he ever comes back and whomever else is forward.

Of course, with Kersto looming larger after a great start, he will start commanding more defensive pressure and take some load off #26….

Ahhhh symbosis…. gotta luv it… :D

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some sides are pretty thin on KPD, I'd like to see Hawkins used more in these situations to exploit the mismatch. Even Sydney, to a degree, don't have a good match up for him. Basically, some games just give it to the big bloke.

hawkins-200x320xx.jpg

Loves it.

An article on the AFL website lists each team's most valuable players for getting the ball inside 50, receiving it inside 50 and scoring, once it's there.

Here are our best:

Who gives it: Steve Johnson
Seventy-two inside 50s in 2014. AFL ranking third. Johnson hasn't had his best season, and he doesn't kick a lot of goals anymore, but he remains one of the Cats' most valuable attacking weapons.

The most efficient: Tom Hawkins
This is in an interesting one. Hawkins, who you would expect to be on the receiving end of most inside-50s, actually sends a lot of kicks inside the arc himself. And he is very efficient, finding a target 56.3 per cent of the time.

And who gets it: Tom Hawkins
And now Hawkins bobs up again, this time on the receiving end of the Cats' forays into attack. He is Geelong's most common target for kicks inside 50. He has been targeted 155 times this season.

The converter: Tom Hawkins
The big Tomahawk is also the best target when Geelong goes into attack. When Hawkins is the target, the Cats score 49 per cent of the time. He is, in other words, a very valuable player indeed.

EDIT- apologies- forgot the link :(
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-30/the-delivery-men

Last edited:
An article on the AFL website lists each team's most valuable players for getting the ball inside 50, receiving it inside 50 and scoring, once it's there.

Here are our best:

Seventy-two inside 50s in 2014. AFL ranking third. Johnson hasn't had his best season, and he doesn't kick a lot of goals anymore, but he remains one of the Cats' most valuable attacking weapons.

This is in an interesting one. Hawkins, who you would expect to be on the receiving end of most inside-50s, actually sends a lot of kicks inside the arc himself. And he is very efficient, finding a target 56.3 per cent of the time.

And now Hawkins bobs up again, this time on the receiving end of the Cats' forays into attack. He is Geelong's most common target for kicks inside 50. He has been targeted 155 times this season.

The big Tomahawk is also the best target when Geelong goes into attack. When Hawkins is the target, the Cats score 49 per cent of the time. He is, in other words, a very valuable player indeed.
Link? Very interesting.

Here are our best:

Extremely important player. Too important really. But kudos to him for going from labelled a spud back in 2009 to where he is now. Patience has been well rewarded.

Here are our best:

Gr8 insight thanks T-cat, didn't see any other team that listed 1 man in those 3 stats(?) and few with even the same guy in 2..

Tom without an injury is a beautiful thing.. :)

If Geelong wins premiership in 2014 Tom Hawkins will be the reason

• He is unstoppable. When engaged in one-on-one marking contests he has beaten his direct opponent 40 per cent of the time in both ground level and marking opportunities.
More importantly, he outmarks his direct opponent 28 per cent of the time, generally resulting in a shot at goal.Let’s compare Hawkins’ percentages with other elite targets. Lance Franklin wins 35 per cent, but only 14 per cent through marks; Travis Cloke is at only 25 per cent and 14 per cent in marks; and Jarryd Roughead also wins 40 per cent of contests, but outmarks his man only 20 per cent of the time.

http://news.com.au/sport/afl/if-gee...rites-david-king/story-fni5ezm8-1227018375283

If Geelong wins premiership in 2014 Tom Hawkins will be the reason

• He is unstoppable. When engaged in one-on-one marking contests he has beaten his direct opponent 40 per cent of the time in both ground level and marking opportunities.
More importantly, he outmarks his direct opponent 28 per cent of the time, generally resulting in a shot at goal.Let’s compare Hawkins’ percentages with other elite targets. Lance Franklin wins 35 per cent, but only 14 per cent through marks; Travis Cloke is at only 25 per cent and 14 per cent in marks; and Jarryd Roughead also wins 40 per cent of contests, but outmarks his man only 20 per cent of the time.

http://news.com.au/sport/afl/if-geelong-wins-premiership-in-2014-tom-hawkins-will-be-the-reason-writes-david-king/story-fni5ezm8-1227018375283

That's why he's double teamed by the opposition and a reason we will not win a Premiership in 2014, he doesn't have that genuine big mate up forward to help out and deflect attention. When we won our flags we had two big forwards one is never enough to go all the way.

We've been discussing this issue on "2015 List Discussions free agents, drafting and trades" thread at the moment.

Last edited:
And we had zero Hawkins last year and made the prelim and came bloody close to the Granny.

I've seen the "discussion" in the other thread, and seriously the names you are throwing up...:rolleyes:

That's why he's double teamed by the opposition and a reason we will not win a Premiership in 2014, he doesn't have that genuine big mate up forward to help out and deflect attention. When we won our flags we had two big forwards one is never enough to go all the way.
We had 1 big forward in the 2011 GF and seemed to go OK from memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back