Toast Tom Hawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Just leaked pics of Hawks' pre-season training camp!
dsc04761.jpg

How good is it to see him jumping again?

Seriously just a super game today, was an absolute beast.

Gives our midfielders so much confidence to finally have a fit Hawkins to kick to instead of a statuesque one that can't jump and move.

How good is it to see him jumping again?

Seriously just a super game today, was an absolute beast.

Gives our midfielders so much confidence to finally have a fit Hawkins to kick to instead of a statuesque one that can't jump and move.

Doesn't really make sense to mass-produce jumpers with names on the back when it's only for a one-off trial round, that's probably why they only had two.

on tonights game, looked lithe, even with the bulk. did he not win APS or atleast Melbourne Grammar highjumping titles? clearing higher than Kouta's pbs? Jeremy Howe was quite the decent jnr highjumper, but I think TH had a clearance about 10 cm higher than his height, something around 210cm

what was his old mans nick? jumping jack hawkins?

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more!! Lake would've resorted to the coat-hangers and dirty sniping as he played yesterday when the VFL game was getting tough. Tom would've taken no notice of that but would've just kept bulldozing his way through Lake ;)

I think the way the Cats a) went into the forward line and b) let Hawkins go 1-1 or 2-1 for the ball had a lot to do with his game today. The forward line was as congested as it usually is but somehow Hawkins had a bit of space around him for most of the day. Great work Catters!!
but when TH was leading to the boundary, and getting the cheaper option marks (prolly cos Gibson had locked up the corridor) he managed to get some momentum, even tho he had to take really poor statistical shots from that pocket at aroun 38metres.

if he had not got those one or two marks in the final quarter, that begun his momentum (yeah, cos he took a bunch, and kicked a swag in the final qr ofcourse) he might have had his momentum shot. particle physics/butterfly effect/random theory. Take only one or two of those marks that begun his momentum in the final qr, it might have been alot different.

and yes he dominated, i am not contesting this.

and it was great to watch.

but when TH was leading to the boundary, and getting the cheaper option marks (prolly cos Gibson had locked up the corridor) he managed to get some momentum, even tho he had to take really poor statistical shots from that pocket at aroun 38metres.

if he had not got those one or two marks in the final quarter, that begun his momentum (yeah, cos he took a bunch, and kicked a swag in the final qr ofcourse) he might have had his momentum shot. particle physics/butterfly effect/random theory. Take only one or two of those marks that begun his momentum in the final qr, it might have been alot different.

and yes he dominated, i am not contesting this.

and it was great to watch.
I thought you made a fair point there, black cat but I couldn't recall exactly where Tomahawk took those early 4th Q marks, so I went back to the AFL site, presuming they'd have shown them in order. Unfortunately there appears to be a couple missing and, bearing that in mind, the first mark of TH shown was taken just outside the square, maybe taking his kick from a 45 degree angle, then the second mark shown was pretty much dead in front.
I think Tom's tail was well and truly up the minute he saw the team list that the Hawks put out before the game. Then a couple of early marks on Gibson in the first Q would've caused the tail to start wagging pretty fast.
yes, he certainly did get some marks out toward the boundary but he presented all around the ground as well, running right up to the wing on more than one occasion, relishing the fact that he could rely on McIntosh to cover for him inside 50.
I understand your point about momentum but feel that this particular rolling stone really started to gather momentum much earlier in the game than you've indicated.
And, in answer to an earlier question of yours- Tom's father's name was indeed "Jumping Jack"

I thought you made a fair point there, black cat but I couldn't recall exactly where Tomahawk took those early 4th Q marks, so I went back to the AFL site, presuming they'd have shown them in order. Unfortunately there appears to be a couple missing and, bearing that in mind, the first mark of TH shown was taken just outside the square, maybe taking his kick from a 45 degree angle, then the second mark shown was pretty much dead in front.
I think Tom's tail was well and truly up the minute he saw the team list that the Hawks put out before the game. Then a couple of early marks on Gibson in the first Q would've caused the tail to start wagging pretty fast.
yes, he certainly did get some marks out toward the boundary but he presented all around the ground as well, running right up to the wing on more than one occasion, relishing the fact that he could rely on McIntosh to cover for him inside 50.
I understand your point about momentum but feel that this particular rolling stone really started to gather momentum much earlier in the game than you've indicated.
And, in answer to an earlier question of yours- Tom's father's name was indeed "Jumping Jack"
he took the 4th quarter marks in the most dangerous positions in the corridor.

perhaps a word had come at 3/4 time, that he needs to grab them in those spot where his kick will have a much better chance, cos he can be a great kick with accuracy. but that was a dead pocket and pockets he was relegated to in the first few quarters. i am really just being a devil's advocate here, meaningless speculation. i do not know why the first marks were there. and it might be my brain/memory/anecdotal also

he took the 4th quarter marks in the most dangerous positions in the corridor.

perhaps a word had come at 3/4 time, that he needs to grab them in those spot where his kick will have a much better chance, cos he can be a great kick with accuracy. but that was a dead pocket and pockets he was relegated to in the first few quarters. i am really just being a devil's advocate here, meaningless speculation. i do not know why the first marks were there. and it might be my brain/memory/anecdotal also
Your brain would be no worse than mine, I'm sure. I do recall him taking a couple of shots on goal after clunking some great marks -yes, toward the boundary and making the shots difficult- but wasn't too damaging on the scoreboard, with 2.3 I think, early in the game. It would've been enough to give him the confidence to back himself, though, and take those shots, rather than try and push the responsibility on to someone else. When he started kicking points, I was thinking "here we go! It's going to be the same as the 2011 GF." It was probably better, as it turned out ;)

Contact between Geelong’s Tom Hawkins and Hawthorn’s Will Langford from the third quarter of Monday’s match was assessed. Geelong’s George Horlin-Smith is running with the ball and player Langford turns to chase him. Hawkins attempts to shepherd for his team-mate and makes body contact with Langford. Hawkins has an open hand when the contact is made and it was not a striking action. No further action was taken.

Maybe the MRP members aren't the biggest fans of Langford either?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contact between Geelong’s Tom Hawkins and Hawthorn’s Will Langford from the third quarter of Monday’s match was assessed. Geelong’s George Horlin-Smith is running with the ball and player Langford turns to chase him. Hawkins attempts to shepherd for his team-mate and makes body contact with Langford. Hawkins has an open hand when the contact is made and it was not a striking action. No further action was taken.

I can see Langford rapidly assuming a Ballantynish reputation for his persistent niggling

One more thing, in both two camera angles you never actually see Hawkins make contact. In one it's obscured by the ump and in the other it's by a P&Ws player.

Also I gotta say I really like how Hawkins turned the heat up on him. Cotchin's team mates could learn a thing or two from it.

Putting a quote from Hamish McMachlan on there doesn't exactly make for an inspiring picture...

You should change it to -Rompingwins

Or alternatively my quote to my mate

me - f**k Hawkins is just dominating isn't he

Putting a quote from Hamish McMachlan on there doesn't exactly make for an inspiring picture...

This man is a freak! Lets hope he keeps putting them away all year!

He copied that description from Gerard Whateley in the 2011 GF....

He copied that description from Gerard Whateley in the 2011 GF....
Hammer stealing something from someone else... Who would have thought lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back