Traded Tom Hickey

Remove this Banner Ad

#1 Tom Hickey

An instant favourite of mine after an amusing interview with Milney on arriving at the club.

The trade was protracted and complicated. The Goddard compensation pick (plus 37 & 57) was turned into Hickey, 26 and 47. Pick 26 became 25 (Spencer White) after Adelaide surrendered their first round pick.

Hickey was an important pickup – with the Saints being exposed in the ruck in 2012. However, Hickey himself had some injury issues, and this affected his ability to impact in 2013.

He struggled against his old team in round 1 and was subbed off (4 possessions and 12 hitouts). Evidently his back was a factor, and he returned via Sandringham 2 weeks later – playing 4 VFL games (17 hitouts / 18 possessions, 13 hitouts / 16 possessions, 2 goals, 15 hitouts / 13 possessions, 2 goals, 4 tackles, 7 hitouts).

Called up for the round 7 clash with Carlton, he played well with 14 possessions, 5 marks and 4 tackles (although only the 7 hitouts matched against Warnock).

Hickey had a poor game against Adelaide (9 possessions and 4 hitouts), but was retained and had 15 possessions, 4 marks and 17 hitouts against the Dogs. However, he had no impact the next round in a thrashing against North (7 possessions and 10 hitouts) and again ended up injured.

He missed 3 weeks and returned in the VFL, playing well against North Ballarat with 15 possessions and 24 hitouts.

This was enough to get back into the St Kilda team against Freo – although Hickey was relatively quiet (9 possessions and 11 hitouts). The pummelling against Geelong wasn’t any better (9 possessions and 16 hitouts), although it transpired that he’d caught the flu – along with a number of others – and missed the following week.

He was solid in the next VFL game (12 possessions, 4 contested marks, a goal, 3 tackles and 19 hitouts) and played the remainder of the season in the AFL.

His games against Sydney (11 possessions, 6 marks and 20 hitouts) and Gold Coast (17 possessions, 6 marks, 16 hitouts) showed considerably better form. Whilst he was quiet in the R23 farewell game, being able to string a number of AFL games together towards the back end of the season should be a good launchpad into 2014.

At 23yo next March, there should still be plenty more upside for our #1 - including completing more of the marks which were "almosts" in 2013 along with better conversion of his set shots for goal.

With Cameron Wood back in the AFL i thought i'd take a look at stats, Hickey's best game was against Wood but was an even contest.

Tom Hickey: 19 Disposals, 8 Marks, 5 Tackles, 24 Hit outs
Cameron Wood: 23 Disposals, 5 Marks, 4 Tackles, 25 Hit outs

Also in 2011 Cameron Wood beat McEvoy in contest 40 hit outs > Maccas 30, think this proves Maccas ruck work needs a lot of improvement. But Macca obviously beat him in every other area.

Depending on Richo's strategy I think Hickey will struggle to get a game next year. Haven't seen much of Longer but have seen plenty to suggest he'll be our no. 1 ruck 2014 and beyond.

Depending on Richo's strategy I think Hickey will struggle to get a game next year. Haven't seen much of Longer but have seen plenty to suggest he'll be our no. 1 ruck 2014 and beyond.
With respect, I completely disagree; Hickey, as the incumbent - isn't that an odd thought! - must have the inside running. Longer will play, no doubt, but Tom was really starting to hit his straps toward the end of the year IMO after coming from a long way back, and has 26 months on Longer. He will play Round 1, but Longer will be number 2 over Stanley I think.

RK: Hickey - Steven - Montagna
HF: Savage - Stanley - Riewoldt
FF: Longer - Lee - Schneider

Is how I think it will work; Rhys and Roo are agile enough to make that workable, one roams and the other stays at the 50.

With respect, I completely disagree; Hickey, as the incumbent - isn't that an odd thought! - must have the inside running. Longer will play, no doubt, but Tom was really starting to hit his straps toward the end of the year IMO after coming from a long way back, and has 26 months on Longer. He will play Round 1, but Longer will be number 2 over Stanley I think.

RK: Hickey - Steven - Montagna
HF: Savage - Stanley - Riewoldt
FF: Longer - Lee - Schneider

Is how I think it will work; Rhys and Roo are agile enough to make that workable, one roams and the other stays at the 50.

i dont think stanley is a genuine fwd. its 2 of hickey, stanley, longer for me

Unless Longer kills then nab cup then yeah Hickey will get the gig round 1, but I think Longer is a better player and that will show throughout the season. He wasn't traded for to be back up again, he should play every game bar injury which I'm not sure Hickey will.

i dont think stanley is a genuine fwd. its 2 of hickey, stanley, longer for me
In that case it's Longer and Hickey for me. Stanley potentially a bench-warmer as a massive utility, but honestly has just about used up all his credits

To suggest that Tom Hickey won't be our Number 1 Ruck next year is crazy. Hickey's ruckwork in second half of season was developing very, very nicely. He still needs to develop his body some more and work on his aerobic base but I am very happy with his development this year. Longer will develop into a very good ruckman in his own right but he is a little behind Hickey at the moment. He played some ordinary games for Lions Reserves this year. A change of scenery and another good pre season may make a huge difference for Longer.
I think Hickey and Longer will be first choice rucks with Rhys having to hold down CHF if he is to play senior footy in 2014.

IMO they are both great ruck options and very pleased to have both at St.Kilda.
They will provide an awesome ruck combo which will be the envy of most clubs in another couple of years.
I see the debate of who is more likely to be the number 1 ruck as a little pointless as IMO I really see them sharing this equally for some time.

IMO they are both great ruck options and very pleased to have both at St.Kilda.
They will provide an awesome ruck combo which will be the envy of most clubs in another couple of years.
I see the debate of who is more likely to be the number 1 ruck as a little pointless as IMO I really see them sharing this equally for some time.

Agree with this. They should both become excellent ruckmen. Also, Stanley is a pretty good back-up with his fantastic leap, good agility and extreme pace. Before he did his hammy, Stanley was playing a great game as first ruck against WCE in that game early in 2012. He hasn't been our first ruckman since that game but he showed that day that he has the rucking ability if required. If McEvoy was still with us he would be winning back to back Liston medals in 2014/15 because he wouldn't be getting a look in with the senior side.

Unless Longer kills then nab cup then yeah Hickey will get the gig round 1, but I think Longer is a better player and that will show throughout the season. He wasn't traded for to be back up again, he should play every game bar injury which I'm not sure Hickey will.

And Hickey wasn't traded to be backup again.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd still prefer a ruckmen who's dangerous when resting forward like a Hale but if Longer and Hickey are continuously giving us first use then can't complain too much. Still have hope that Stanley can become a Hale type anyway.

I like the fact that both Longer and Hickey are young and they can develop and grow together in the same team. They'll learn how the other one plays and be able to adapt. Hopefully each play about 13-18 games this year as they learn about being an AFL ruckman and develop their game sense.

Look i know round 2 has just finished but let's face it everyone thought we were mad trading Pick 13? for Tom Hickey + those extras and again last season thought we were mad trading McEvoy without having any "cover" or "decent rucks coming through".

He has started the season off in style after an impressive NAB Challenge series and on Saturday Jason Dunstall and Cameron Mooney were really impressed by him and mentioned about people saying how mad we were for moving on Big Mac but those two seen how good Hickey can be.

He is only 23 years old and has a lot of room for improvement, he is looking fantastic so far as our #1 ruck!

Hopefully people start taking more notice off him!! Billy, Tom and Lewis gee that can be a handy ruck stock if they all come along.

Also if i recall Sunny_ said she thought Hickey could be better over Zac Smith. (Correct me if i am way off the mark Sunny_ just thought it was you when we first traded for him)

Remove the thread if you think it shouldn't be a thread Mods, i was planning on adding everything i see about Hickey in here and hopefully opposition fans join in and give him a few good comments!!

Round 1: 14 disposals, 4 marks, 24 hitouts, 3 tackles
Round 2: 19 disposals, 8 marks, 20 hitouts, 4 tackles, 3 goals

(Mumford vs Hickey: Mumford (83 contests) 46 hitouts, 11 to advantage and Hickey (63 contests) 20 hitouts, 10 to advantage.)

Also another stat more SC related (i know it's two rounds in, but...) :

Fantasy Freako ‏@FantasyFreako 2h
Top three ranked ruckman after two rounds are Mumford, Sandy and Hickey in that order.#SuperCoach

Fantasy Freako ‏@FantasyFreako 2h
Hickey's disposal efficiency of 81.8% is the best of any ruckman in the league. #SuperCoach #supervalue

Last edited:
Like the thread but think you answer your own question. I was sitting smug when idiot Dunstall finally worked it out and it become the vogue thing for the commentary team to state. Great recruiting Saints! Hope Longer works out just as well and hickey makes those performances consistent. A dynamic and feared ruck combo is something is like to have at long last!

Hickey has had 2 great games, or 1 great game and 1 outstanding game. But he has shown close to nothing before this. I mean that's understandable given his age as a ruckmen, but you can't blame people for not noticing him.

It depends how well he plays, if he keeps up his current rate he would be close to AA ruck but that's extrapolating from a limited data set. I will admit I haven't been a fan of his, but he's done everything right so far. I'll be keeping a close eye too to see how he goes with no. 1 ruck. So far so good!

Hickey has had 2 great games, or 1 great game and 1 outstanding game. But he has shown close to nothing before this. I mean that's understandable given his age as a ruckmen, but you can't blame people for not noticing him.

It depends how well he plays, if he keeps up his current rate he would be close to AA ruck but that's extrapolating from a limited data set. I will admit I haven't been a fan of his, but he's done everything right so far. I'll be keeping a close eye too to see how he goes with no. 1 ruck. So far so good!
What do you mean? Extrapolating tells us Clinton Jones will win the Brownlow, Hickey will be AA, Roo will kick 77 in the H&A season and the Saints will be undefeated. It's called science. You can't argue with that.

PS if red comes up twice always bet on black.

What do you mean? Extrapolating tells us Clinton Jones will win the Brownlow, Hickey will be AA, Roo will kick 77 in the H&A season and the Saints will be undefeated. It's called science. You can't argue with that.

PS if red comes up twice always bet on black.
Actually Roo should kick 88 in the H&A and kick his 100th in the last quarter of the grand final just before becoming the first player ever to win the Brownlow, Coleman and Norm Smith in the same year.

Back to Hickey, I noted when the Hawthorn game was close on Friday night McEvoy was nowhere to be seen in the last 5 minutes. On the bench? Injured? I don't know. But the Saints did everything possible to get Hickey out there when the game was close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back