Boppo

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sth Freo
How f&cking dumb are the persons who are tasked with this. Tom Jones??? No one gives a toss about Tom Jones, he s 74 years old for chrisssake. promote AFL to the world ...of nursing homes. Laughable in every sense except perhaps for some music execs who will get a fistffull of cash.

Should start a viral campaign, when Jones gets up to sing we all go for food, a p1ss, ciggie, beer etc.

Deep Blue

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2007
The Como Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Tom Jones? Couldn't they find The Young New Mexican Puppeteer? Surely the AFL could, er, pull a few strings.

One of his lesser-known raunchy numbers "Puppet Man" (not TYNMP) would go down well with the families - "Raise your finger and I'll perform. I'll crack a jack till the crack of dawn. If you wanna see me do my thing then baby pull my string." Great song - gets the ladies goin'!

Deep Blue

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2007
The Como Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
How f&cking dumb are the persons who are tasked with this. Tom Jones??? No one gives a toss about Tom Jones, he s 74 years old for chrisssake. promote AFL to the world ...of nursing homes. Laughable in every sense except perhaps for some music execs who will get a fistffull of cash.

Should start a viral campaign, when Jones gets up to sing we all go for food, a p1ss, ciggie, beer etc.

Ageist crap!

I was at ground level and the sound was s**t anyway, they obviously had the levels set for the TV audience. Surely some of that cost is factored into the ticket price, so why should I have to be treated like a second class citizen?

Travis bloke

All Australian
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tom Jones? Didn't they em the G isn't gonna packed with grand mas and grandpas.
May as well have gotten Johnny Farnham then just as good a singer and would come cheaper.
They cant afford bands like AC DC, Van halen,Pearl jam,Chilli peppers,Springsteen they would cost millions so they have to go the cheap end.

Ok lets look at the aussie talent they could get cheap must be iconic bands not these new bands most of em cant play live anyway.

Rose tattoo ?
Powderfinger ?
Baby Animals ?
Silverchair ?
Angels sadly without Doc. ?

International acts they could consider Kiss, Queen ( could play we are the champions etc with their new singer who could cut it I suppose),this calibre of acts wouldn't cost heaps

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
Tom Jones? Didn't they em the G isn't gonna packed with grand mas and grandpas.

International acts they could consider Kiss, Queen ( could play we are the champions etc with their new singer who could cut it I suppose),this calibre of acts wouldn't cost heaps

You bag the selection of Tom Jones and then name two bands whose members are nearly as old as Tom

kennerado

Senior List
Aug 15, 2009
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Shrewsbury Town FC
I wonder how much Tom Jones fee is, didn't they pay Meatloaf 500k for his "performance"?

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
I see that this year it's a pre game show.
Does foxtel do a pre game build up and switch at the first bounce for grand final like they do for other games?
I'm happy to completely miss this pre game show, but want to watch and listen to something football related...

Foxtel do it's own panel show pre-game,1/2 time and post game.They aren't allowed to show the GF live so they just simply leave a camera on showing the desk during the game.

swiftdog

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2005
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
At the end of the day it's going to be very hard to convince a top shelf muso to play a 10-15 minute set at a sporting event. Unless of course, the name of that event is the Superbowl. In saying that though it's a bit of a stretch the to call the Superbowl exclusively a sporting event nowadays.

bigleague

All Australian
Apr 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I like the idea of Tom
Just ignoring the appropriateness of his music for a football game for a minute, I watched a clip of him from a couple of years ago at the queen jubilee, his voice is still there but he doesn't move much and will probably need something to hold onto.

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
Can't have Tom Jones without Carlton Banks.

carlton-banks-dance-o.gif

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
We sound desperate for a name. He is a name. One who actually hung out with Elvis Presley.

Another gig to have you eager for the bullshit entertainment to finish and the game to start.

Who feels that live bands at big games just is a fish out of water. Your not there to watch 'something for everybody' entertainment.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
This +1

Music after the game and some partying for an hour or two is fine for those at the ground. But for pre-game/mid-game What is wrong with auskick and watching your team warm up - or heckling the opposition mascot who will serve it right back at you.
Aus kick is rubbish.

They should have a UFC championship with players from the bottom 10 clubs competing.

Back