Delisted Tom Lee

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see that he finally signed up. Didn't want to sign a contract at the start of the year in the hope of a good year and drive his price up a little bit/be snaffled by a WA club and then had shoulder issues and we were delaying a little bit so I'm glad we've come to this conclusion and hoping he can develop into a handy forward for us that can win us some games.

Go saints

No worries, I think our chances of getting Boyd or Patton are very slim, even if we floated pick #1 I can't see GWS wanting it as the player they would take is probably not as good as either and a year or two behind.

I think we'd have to offer something up with the pick one to even be a chance of getting either of those to eg pick one and Sam Gilbert.

No worries, I think our chances of getting Boyd or Patton are very slim, even if we floated pick #1 I can't see GWS wanting it as the player they would take is probably not as good as either and a year or two behind.
Again, under the scenario I was talking about though it could be us taking Petracca at 1 this year and then throwing the kitchen sink at Patton/Boyd next year, when their contracts are due to expire, in which case if they told GWS they wanted out and we had pick 1 in the PSD, GWS would not be in any sort of position to demand too much from us (as they could just walk to us in the PSD) and it would just be too bad for them that they lost that two or more years of development.

As far as this year goes, it may just be that they end up desperate for someone like Petracca (or Wright, for the ruck long term) and they may want him more than they want to keep Boyd, for instance, so they may be willing to do a straight swap in that instance, especially if they finish higher than Melbourne and Melbourne end up with two picks, pushing GWS's first pick back to 5 (or 6, if we happened to get a very early PP!).

Last edited:
He still could be traded IMO. The Pelican loves having the upper hand in trades and I could see Lee on the table if the right deal presents itself.

St Kilda vs Port Adelaide 2013 is enough for me to be happy with this. Quality player in form, can kick goals from anywhere inside 50 and looks like he lifts when the game is there to be won (we haven't had too many of those situations this year...). Surgery now and a good pre-season should do wonders for Tommy Lee.

He still could be traded IMO. The Pelican loves having the upper hand in trades and I could see Lee on the table if the right deal presents itself.
The Pelican doesn't back down
funny-pelican-see-evverything-picture.jpg

Again, under the scenario I was talking about though it could be us taking Petracca at 1 this year and then throwing the kitchen sink at Patton/Boyd next year, when their contracts are due to expire, in which case if they told GWS they wanted out and we had pick 1 in the PSD, GWS would not be in any sort of position to demand too much from us (as they could just walk to us in the PSD) and it would just be too bad for them that they lost that two or more years of development.

Son Of Serge says it won't happen on his watch, I'd back him in tbh

Son Of Serge says it won't happen on his watch, I'd back him in tbh

GWS are going to be attacked from all angles. Don't be surprised to see Cameron Boyd and Patts offered Buddy type deals which in turn pressures their elite mids who will be getting silly offers too. They have been gifted a lot but the sharks will start to circle. Watch Pelican and co get machiavellian on them using big offers to kids they are unlikely to wrestle free in the knowledge that it chips away at their cap and leaves them vulnerable in the next few years. You might not get the big boys but Jaksche, Stewart and Corr etc all become more gettable.

Good luck to young Tom and may he get his body right for next year.

The club has shown enough faith in his potential than the rest of us armchair experts.

Happy for the young fella .
I wonder if Tommy has ever played CHB ????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS are going to be attacked from all angles. Don't be surprised to see Cameron Boyd and Patts offered Buddy type deals which in turn pressures their elite mids who will be getting silly offers too. They have been gifted a lot but the sharks will start to circle. Watch Pelican and co get machiavellian on them using big offers to kids they are unlikely to wrestle free in the knowledge that it chips away at their cap and leaves them vulnerable in the next few years. You might not get the big boys but Jaksche, Stewart and Corr etc all become more gettable.

They are very gettable, there is no way GWS can keep all it's talent long term, it would require a salary cap 3 times everyone elses..
I doubt that any marquee players will go though.
I'd love to see all three of those at the saints, but not JC, General or Boyd, you can grab your own #1 draft pick :)

They are very gettable, there is no way GWS can keep all it's talent long term, it would require a salary cap 3 times everyone elses..
I doubt that any marquee players will go though.
I'd love to see all three of those at the saints, but not JC, General or Boyd, you can grab your own #1 draft pick :)
COLA is on it's way out right? If all three live up their potential you're looking at three guys who could be getting paid 800+k each. Is that the best thing for your team to have three guys taking up so much of the salary cap?

COLA is on it's way out right? If all three live up their potential you're looking at three guys who could be getting paid 800+k each. Is that the best thing for your team to have three guys taking up so much of the salary cap?

COLA is on its way out, not the startup extras.
I doubt they would structure deals to run in parallel amounts, that would be just dumb and they haven't proven stupid yet.

Given tommy now has job security for another two years and hopefully will be free of injury to put in a big pre season..

What does everyone expect in terms of games n goals from tommy over the next 2 years?
For mine it would be 30 games and 40 goals at a minimum. Otherwise I would hope we would be having a long hard think about another contract

If injury free he needs to be aiming to be a best 22 player. By getting there he will likely need to average about 1.5 goals a game. 25 next year he's no longer young and won't be able to use the late developer excuse. For me 20 games / 25-30 goals is a pass mark.

Yeah let's put limits on the guy based on his age... try that argument with Pods.
Realy what did Pods do.
He was an old flat track bully who only played well at home and struggled anywhere else.
Oh hang on!!! He won a flag when he was 29 yrs old didn't he. Hmmmmm Lee will be even younger than that when we come good again wont he.
Maybe the club do know what they are doing after all:thumbsu:

Realy what did Pods do.
He was an old flat track bully who only played well at home and struggled anywhere else.
Oh hang on!!! He won a flag when he was 29 yrs old didn't he. Hmmmmm Lee will be even younger than that when we come good again wont he.
Maybe the club do know what they are doing after all:thumbsu:

I think you missed my point snake.

Pods was plucked from obscurity and played and is playing handy football, so this whole notion about a 25yo needing to show a minimum level because he is now 25 is BS.

Experience in AFL comes through games played on a regular basis. In those terms, Tom is still a 2nd year player.

I don't put quotas or limits on what or when a player comes good.

My only expectation is that he get himself right so he can maximise his potential.

I think you missed my point snake.

Pods was plucked from obscurity and played and is playing handy football, so this whole notion about a 25yo needing to show a minimum level because he is now 25 is BS.

Experience in AFL comes through games played on a regular basis. In those terms, Tom is still a 2nd year player.

I don't put quotas or limits on what or when a player comes good.

My only expectation is that he get himself right so he can maximise his potential.
Looks like we both missed each others point:p
I was agreeing with you , and in an obviously confusing way I was trying to say Lee could be very good for us in a few yrs as he matures. And im not too worried about his form at the moment:thumbsu:

But hey! your not the first person who didn't understand what I was talking about, and you wont be the last.
Ive been talking to my wife for 20yrs and she's only answered me 4 times . At least you reply to me :D:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back