Delisted Tom Lee

BrianSpeaking

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2007
@BigFootyBrian
AFL Club
St Kilda
Credit the way of mysainters for finding the news.. Thought it was thread worthy

"One player who has fallen off Claremont's radar is high-flying forward Tom Lee, who will not return to WA after agreeing to a two-year extension with St Kilda.

Lee continues to have trouble with his right shoulder but that has not put the Saints off."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/wafl/a/24445445/tigers-keen-to-keep-blackwell-seaby/
Dermott dickhead will be spewing.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good news this, was a bit concerned that he may fly the coop for better opportunities at a club like Freo. Hopefully both he and Spencaaa have a really good preseason leading into 2015 and finally get their bodies in tip-top shape so that they have a better opportunity to show what they're capable of more consistently.

So, we're racing to 10,000, are we?

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good news this, was a bit concerned that he may fly the coop for better opportunities at a club like Freo. Hopefully both he and Spencaaa have a really good preseason leading into 2015 and finally get their bodies in tip-top shape so that they have a better opportunity to show what they're capable of more consistently.

So, we're racing to 10,000, are we?
Looks like someone has it covered.;)

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great news. Keeping the faith with him.
Still believe he can make it as a fwd.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Going to be interesting to see how they all fit in going forward. I think it's very fair to say that we need to get ourselves a McCartin/Patton/Boyd to be the rock to build the future forward line around and that unless one of them also pinch-hits in the ruck, we will also need a Stanley type up there for the forward/ruck role, meaning that T-Lee and White may be almost fighting for one spot, especially if we happen to have a Petracca up there as well in the "4th", Aaron Hamill type role. Richo doesn't seem the type to want to play 4 "talls" forward.

Lee in the Sam Fisher role across HB might not be worst thing ever though.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Going to be interesting to see how they all fit in going forward. I think it's very fair to say that we need to get ourselves a McCartin/Patton/Boyd to be the rock to build the future forward line around and that unless one of them also pinch-hits in the ruck, we will also need a Stanley type up there for the forward/ruck role, meaning that T-Lee and White may be almost fighting for one spot, especially if we happen to have a Petracca up there as well in the "4th", Aaron Hamill type role. Richo doesn't seem the type to want to play 4 "talls" forward.

Lee in the Sam Fisher role across HB might not be worst thing ever though.
If we get a young key forward in the draft they will likely be 5 years away from impacting games for us by which time Lee will be approaching 30 so I don't think we'll need to worry too much about having too many gun key forwards at once :)

Glad to see a few people happy about Lee's re-signing (apart from you Marto), saintsational is pretty scathing of him in the main. I can't see the big deal, assuming Maister is de-listed, we only have Stanley, Lee & White as key forwards on the list after Nick, so we really need to keep Lee until we have better options available. Hopefully he can get his shoulders right and cement a spot next year.

I think he's too slow and not defensively minded enough to play a Fisher role. He's a FF… not a ruckmen or anything else IMO.

Big Mart

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
We need to open up spots.

Unfortunately having watched him a lot, I see no upside. He is a one dimensional - kick/mark forward who lacks strength required at AFL level to play in that fashion.

He is a 40 goal per year VFL forward
A25 goal per year AFL forward

His hands are reasonable, kicking is sound. But one on one he does not have the physicality.

Add him and Maister together... You get a serviceable AFL forward

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
If we get a young key forward in the draft they will likely be 5 years away from impacting games for us by which time Lee will be approaching 30 so I don't think we'll need to worry too much about having too many gun key forwards at once :)
You may notice that I listed Patton and Boyd as two of the options I thought we'd need to build the forward line around if we picked Petracca though and of course Patton is already playing every week and by next year will be in his 4th year in the system and 5th the following year, which might be his first year with us, under the scenario I suggested and I reckon he'd be well and truly ready to impact games by then, all things being equal.

If we conversely got Boyd under that scenario then he would be in his 3rd year in 2016 and likely playing consistently, like Patton is now, meaning that there might be one more spot there for whoever is playing the forward/ruck role and one more for the likes of Lee and White. That is not much more than one full season away. In the meantime I imagine we'll be looking to fit that Nick bloke in somewhere, although I for one hope that that is more on the wing than up forward.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
You may notice that I listed Patton and Boyd as two of the options I thought we'd need to build the forward line around if we picked Petracca though and of course Patton is already playing every week and by next year will be in his 4th year in the system and 5th the following year, which might be his first year with us, under the scenario I suggested and I reckon he'd be well and truly ready to impact games by then, all things being equal.

If we conversely got Boyd under that scenario then he would be in his 3rd year in 2016 and likely playing consistently, like Patton is now, meaning that there might be one more spot there for whoever is playing the forward/ruck role and one more for the likes of Lee and White. That is not much more than one full season away. In the meantime I imagine we'll be looking to fit that Nick bloke in somewhere, although I for one hope that that is more on the wing than up forward.
No worries, I think our chances of getting Boyd or Patton are very slim, even if we floated pick #1 I can't see GWS wanting it as the player they would take is probably not as good as either and a year or two behind.

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda

Unfortunately having watched him a lot, I see no upside. He is a one dimensional - kick/mark forward who lacks strength required at AFL level to play in that fashion.

His hands are reasonable, kicking is sound. But one on one he does not have the physicality.

Lee was the Saint's second most used target inside 50 from round 15 onwards last year, retaining possession 66% of the time he was targeted - the highest percentage of the top 50 targets in this time. He was involved in the equal 12th-most one-on-one contests in this time - recording the third highest winning percentage of the top 20.

Last edited:

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue

What rubbish, he kicked 17 goals from his first 10 games of AFL footy last year, so logic would suggest he kick a lot more than 25 if he played 22 games.

How many spots on the list do we need to open up? We can only take 4 or 5 guys in the draft… With Maister, TDL, Dunell, Hayes, Fisher, Schneider, Jones & Siposs all looking at finishing up we have plenty of room on the list.

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
I see quite a similarity in Lee with Justin Westhoff... And not just in the position he plays, but also being a whipping boy in his early days which it appears that Tom Lee has become this year. Tom certainly wouldn't be the first player to have 2nd year blues, I just hope the bloke can stay injury free so he can really show what he is capable of, which if it's anything like what he showed towards the end on season 2013, he will be a fantastic 3rd tall option in coming years

Big Mart

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hayes, Fisher and Schnieder?

Not sure any of them have called it quits yet.

Milera will also be gone. Plus a few surprises.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Hayes, Fisher and Schnieder?

Not sure any of them have called it quits yet.

Milera will also be gone. Plus a few surprises.
You must be talking to me mate… :(

No chance, Milera has a contract…

The others are close to finished… be lucky if one of those 3 goes on.

We have plenty of room for Lee.

Back