Delisted Tom Lee

Hit outs are overrated. Whatever we lose from a ruck point of view will be more than made up for by what we gain up forward.
But we won't even break even with those 2 in the rucks, I would think lee/bruce wouldn't be ranked high in backup rucks who play FWD. I would guess bottom 30%

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Aside from the fact Lee has a very big leap for the ruck contests (at least centre bounces), he ought to then be pretty useful around the ground and when the ball hits the deck, so that could be an area where he can hurt the opposition a bit, especially if he pushes hard forward- when appropriate- to give us another option/target inside 50. Would need 3rd-up help at boundary throw-ins though, or he would get destroyed there. Where's Lenny?

Last edited:

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
But we won't even break even with those 2 in the rucks, I would think lee/bruce wouldn't be ranked high in backup rucks who play FWD. I would guess bottom 30%

Who else are we going to play? They are easily our best options for the fwd/ruck role.

I'd be willing to bet that at least one of Bruce or Lee will surprise a lot of people this year.

Who else are we going to play? They are easily our best options for the fwd/ruck role.

I'd be willing to bet that at least one of Bruce or Lee will surprise a lot of people this year.
I would bet we have a better chance of hickey becoming a fwd than Bruce or lee surprising anyone in 2015

Aug 15, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Perhaps we've taken a look at how effective Roughead is when he chops out in the ruck and plays through the middle despite his height and envisage something similar for Lee.

According to Richo, a pass mark for Lee this year is;

To play his role in the team when selected, when we have the ball or the opposition does.

Thanks Richo.
And the early bird catches the cliche...

Aug 9, 2006
Level 2 Bar, Coventry End
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Packers, Detroit Tigers
Apologies if this has been previously posted.

You know how we always whinge about how "experts" claim that we traded pick 12 for Lee? Well, should we be concerned that this is on the Saints official website:

"A key forward who is a reliable shot for goal, Lee was selected with pick 12 in the 2012 National Draft after an impressive two years at Claremont in the WAFL."

http://www.saints.com.au/player-profile/thomas-lee

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Apologies if this has been previously posted.

You know how we always whinge about how "experts" claim that we traded pick 12 for Lee? Well, should we be concerned that this is on the Saints official website:

"A key forward who is a reliable shot for goal, Lee was selected with pick 12 in the 2012 National Draft after an impressive two years at Claremont in the WAFL."

http://www.saints.com.au/player-profile/thomas-lee

Jeez, I don't think I've ever heard an opposition fan/journalist say we drafted him at 12. Might have to go easy on the next ones...

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
From Huddo's VFL review.

Tom Lee

I thought he was best on ground. He has a good kick on him and he used that really well out of defence. He’s reading the play well and getting a bit of confidence down there with 17 touches. Each week Tom’s losing less and less aerial contests as well which is really pleasing.

He also registered 5 marks (1 contested). Pleasing to see that he is improving as a defender with every week. Hopefully he can string together a good month of VFL football, get confidence back into his body and find his way into the seniors (as a forward or back) and be a valuable contributor for us.

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
From Huddos Review

Tommy is playing some pretty good footy in defence for us, I like the way he is going about it down back. We threw him forward in the last quarter just to change things up.

Had 12 possies and 4 marks with one being contested. Seems like he is consolidating his form down back at VFL level which is encouraging.

Sounds as though Huddos is pleased with his VFL form so if Lee comes into the team this year, might be down back.

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
Pick 12 & Jamie Cripps reaped Tom Lee, Nathan Wright, Brodie Murdoch & Josh Saunders.

Pick 12 was then used by GWS for Kristian Jacksch, who is no longer at GWS.

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
Round 3 v the Bullants as per Hudson's review

Tom used the ball really well out of defence. His kicks create opportunities for others and put them in a good position to attack. His confidence is up with his skills and I’m pleased that he isn’t always taking the easy option – he’s really taking the game on.

Had 14 possies, 5 marks and 6 HOs.

Another positive step going by Huddo's review. Continuing to put his best foot forward and if he keeps this up, can see him getting a call up to the Seniors soon.

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
Tom Lee

Tom was excellent defensively and offensively on the weekend. He times his attack on the contest really well and often sets us up with his good foot skills from the back 50.

Another solid week down back for Lee as he was named in the best in the Fox Sports Pulse website, looks like he has found a home down back in our VFL side, hopefully he can continue his development and make a case for Senior selection soon. Had the 9 touches (all kicks), 3 marks (1 contested) and a tackle.

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
From Huddo

Tom was good down back for the first half and then we swung him forward for the second half. He had 19 touches, 10 marks and kicked two goals when he moved forward. He looked really good and was one of our better players.

Played well on both ends. His form in the past few weeks would suggest a senior call up is close. Hopefully can continue to impress and play in the RWB soon and add to his 13 games in the AFL.

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
Tom Lee

Tommy had 11 marks and did really well in that area. 16 of his 17 possessions were kicks and to be honest, that is his strength so we are happy that he is using his leg. A couple of times he got caught in the wrong position defensively, but on the whole his game was excellent.

Named best on ground for Sandy in their 23 point loss. Had 17 touches, 11 marks (3 contested) and 8 rebound 50s. There is no doubt that Lee is starring in the VFL, which is no surprise given his obvious talent. Seems like he has confidence in his shoulder and with Fisher out this week, hopefully Lee can come into the seniors and be given a good run.

Deserves the gig. C'mon Richo, do the right thing.

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
As per Huddo;

Tom Lee

Tommy probably had a quieter day. He was playing on bigger opponents which made it difficult but his head never dropped and we were pleased with the way he continued to give great effort. His ball use was pretty good.

Has 12 possies (at 75%) and 4 marks. Was a quieter day for Lee and it seemed through Squizzy's updates that he struggled on bigger opponents, namely Daw and Currie. Reckon he would be a good fit to become a third tall, getting lots of intercept marking and using the ball well. Has the attributes for it.

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
Tom Lee

Tommy played on Aaron Black and had the better of him. It was another impressive defensive performance and his ability to read that quick kick and get in front was valuable on Saturday.

Had 12 kicks and 3 handballs this game (at 86/7% DE) which shows he was using the ball very well, to go along with 7 marks (0 contested). Had the better of an AFL listed KPF in Black which is a very encouraging sign as Black has had a 33 goal season in the AFL . Playing very well at VFL level and doing everything he can to get selected, which should be sooner rather than later.

holllywood

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Toon
Tom Lee

Tommy is becoming Mr Reliable down in defence. The best part about his game is that he didn’t get out-marked and his body work in the contest was good. He’s had some solid games in a row now which is pleasing.

He has become Mr Reliable down back after a few weeks in the VFL which is all the coaches could have asked of Lee when they switched him to play down back. He was named in the best and had 12 disposals (at 93% efficiency), 3 marks and 6 rebound 50s. I think he will get his opportunity soon enough but I personally feel he is fighting for a spot with Dempster, who is playing very good football himself.

Back