• Poll closed .

Roobound

Club Legend
North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Aug 16, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
for a bloke who was drafted as a key forward until he lost a kidney, done one hell of a job as a defender over the last 6 years.

This cant be underated....good call

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thompson. Not a slight on Lonergan.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would take Thompson, however i would not be unhappy with Lonergan either.....

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Except that Lake and Gibson are decidedly superior to Thompson in their strengths. Thompson is more like a watered down average of Gibson and Lake, not really a stand out at anything.
Theres a reason why Gibson hasn't been AA and its unlikely he'll ever be. Thomoson is a better overall defender and player then him who is also rated higher externally.

In the key areas for Key Defenders to succeed, Thompson is 2nd or 3rd in all of them. FWIW:

rebounding: Taylor 1st, Thompson 2nd
1 on 1: MacKenzie 1st, Lonergan 2nd, Thompson 3rd, Taylor 4th
interception of the ball: Taylor 1st, Hooker 2nd, Thompson 3rd
on the lead: Taylor 1st, Thompson 2nd

kade

Team Captain
Jan 16, 2008
tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In the key areas for Key Defenders to succeed, Thompson is 2nd or 3rd in all of them. FWIW:

you forgot the number 1 thing to succeed in defending. which is punching the ball

you forgot the number 1 thing to succeed in defending. which is punching the ball
Not really. As long as your man doesn't get the ball. In fact I'd prefer someone who can mark the pill and set up an attack rather than someone punch the ball and have a 50/50.

kade

Team Captain
Jan 16, 2008
tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not really. As long as your man doesn't get the ball. In fact I'd prefer someone who can mark the pill and set up an attack rather than someone punch the ball and have a 50/50.
obviously you would rather that but often the kick is to the forwards advantage so the defender has no option but to kill the contest. a very very important part of defending.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
Theres a reason why Gibson hasn't been AA and its unlikely he'll ever be. Thomoson is a better overall defender and player then him who is also rated higher externally.

I think he'll have to settle for a Peter Crimmins medal in a premiership year rather than worry about why Gerrard Healy doesn't rate him.

Thompson/Gibson would be an interesting poll actually

obviously you would rather that but often the kick is to the forwards advantage so the defender has no option but to kill the contest. a very very important part of defending.
Punching is overrated. It's a last resort rather than your first option.

m

most times its the defenders only option.
Bullshit. I used to play FB, and because I had a s**t pair of hands I mostly punched, but at least half of the times I punched, marking the pill was definitely an option

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bullshit. I used to play FB, and because I had a s**t pair of hands I mostly punched, but at least half of the times I punched, marking the pill was definitely an option
The best defenders in the game mark the ball first, punch the ball when that option is not there, Taylor, Thompson, Lake fit this bill.... gone are the days when punching was considered great play all the time....

The best defenders in the game mark the ball first, punch the ball when that option is not there, Taylor, Thompson, Lake fit this bill.... gone are the days when punching was considered great play all the time....
Hooker fits the bill as well.

Hooker has been exceptional this year, i used to think he was a spud... well maybe he was a spud, but not anymore....
Lemme guess, based on Buddy running down on the wing? He's been our best defender for 3 years.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lemme guess, based on Buddy running down on the wing? He's been our best defender for 3 years.
well that certainly didn't make him look very good but no, i dont expect many KPD to keep up with Franklin going full pace....But no, he has been great this year, was good last year (Carlisle was better), and was average anytime before that. you guys have some interesting options moving forward with KPP....have many options....

well that certainly didn't make him look very good but no, i dont expect many KPD to keep up with Franklin going full pace....But no, he has been great this year, was good last year (Carlisle was better), and was average anytime before that. you guys have some interesting options moving forward with KPP....have many options....
You say that, but he wasn't. He did pretty well the year before as well, although did have a few kicked on him late in the season

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You say that, but he wasn't. He did pretty well the year before as well, although did have a few kicked on him late in the season
lets settle for average then....
ow hang on im doing it wrong

Stop being an SMRT Arse.... i say he was a spud i know best! i know it all!! he was spud!!!

lets settle for average then....
ow hang on im doing it wrong

Stop being an SMRT Arse.... i say he was a spud i know best! i know it all!! he was spud!!!
I knew that sig bet would bite me in the arse...

Roobound

Club Legend
North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Aug 16, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Are these stats accessible anywhere Eth?

Back