Tom Lynch

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Tom Lynch (Dandenong Stingrays, VIC) - Pick 11 in the 2010 AFL National Draft.

Lynch.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102235/default.aspx

Height: 199cm
Weight: 91kg
DOB: 31/10/92
Club: Dandenong Stingrays (Vic)

Kevin Sheehan says: Tom is a strong-marking tall forward with a terrific work rate and ability at ground level. He was impressive for Vic Country in the under-18 championships, where he averaged 13 disposals and four marks.

Stats (aggregate for 2010 U18 Championships)
Games K H D M G
H/O
5 37 29 66 22 8 11

In his own words
What type of player are you?
A lead-up tall forward.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Scott Gumbleton, because he has a high work rate and hits up to the ball carrier.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Marking.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Kicking and defensive pressure.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Collingwood. My family supports them.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Dad, because he got me involved, took me down to Auskick and gives me advice.

I'm doing some work at the resort Tom Lynch is staying for Schoolies

The poor kid is stuck in his room while his mates are off partying in Surfers lol. Good to see him sticking to guidelines and rules of the Suns, but a bit harsh of his mates to just leave him there haha!

I'm sure Tom won't be missing out in the future :D

I can vaguely remember surviving several schoolies from the age of about 16 - 18. We usually stayed for the first weekend and then took off for Straddie (where the real action was;)) to escape all the tourists. Going out to a club in Surfers was never such a big deal when you'd be doing it since about 15.

46_TomLynch.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 46
DOB 31.10.1992
HEIGHT 199
WEIGHT 91
FORMER CLUB Dandenong Stingrays (VIC)

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/tom-lynch/

Victorian-bred tall Tom Lynch was taken by the GC SUNS with Pick 11 at the 2010 National Draft.

A big key forward in-the-making with a huge tank, he’s renowned for his strong marking, particularly in contested situations.

He averaged 14 possessions and four marks a game for Vic Country at the 2010 National Championships.

Resigned until end of 2014.

A vital re-signing, as tall, mobile and athletic footballers who can play CHF are the ones you build a team, and hopefully a premiership around!

Sounds like the GCS are going to attempt to lock in those players who they see as vital in their future success.

Looked incredibly rusty on his return against the Cats. But given the fact that he hasn't played (even in the intra-club) since round 20 or so last year, I'm willing to let some poor NAB Cup games slide. This is exactly why the NAB games are good. Gets the cobwebs out!

By all reports he's had a great pre-season. Perhaps his new frame is taking some getting used to? He does seem a bit bigger than last year. He was shoving people around and giving away frees all night unfortunately.

Seems to have a nasty habit of playing on when there are opponents right next to him. I think he needs to calm down sometimes and just pick a target and go, rather than just turn and slam it on the boot without even looking what's available.

Still a huge fan. We all know what he's capable of! Just need to get him comfortable with different players (IE: Brown(hopefully not for long), Bock) around him.

You've summed it up pretty well Sunny. Lynch missed Round 1 of the 2012 NAB Cup with a foot injury, but came back for Round 2 against the Cats. He got near the ball a lot & took a couple of strong marks, but gave away several frees for pushes in the back. I think he just needs to get used to the tempo of AFL footy again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expectations will be high for Lynch after a strong debut in 2011. It was good to read that he returned to a bit of form in the final pre-season game against the Swans with 2 goals & at least 5 marks.

Some of his Suns' teammates call Tom Lynch "Melman" after the giraffe character in the Madagascar cartoon & at times he seemed to play like a giraffe in Round 1 against the Crows. He showed glimpses of his 2011 form, but looked a bit gangly & was easily brushed aside by his Crows' opponents. Not one of his better games.

Lynch was judged as 4th best for Gold Coast in Round 2, according to the Club Champion votes. I think that was more for encouragement & for following instructions than for actually playing particularly well.

It was good to see him stand up for himself in the 1st quarter, when Brendan Goddard tried to intimidate him & he battled hard against Nick Riewoldt, when switched to defence. Playing on Riewoldt, when the Saints were heading towards a 15 goal win would have been tough & although he was well beaten, he didn't give up.

If McKenna is serious about playing Lynch in defence, he'll need to work on the one percenters, like not taking his eyes off his opponent after that opponent has taken a mark. If Riewoldt had wanted he could have played on a few times, while Lynch was looking the other way.

If the move to defence was more for Lynch to learn how a quality forward goes about his game, then he should have learnt a lot from Riewoldt. Riewoldt ran hard & fast & didn't relax for the whole match.

from www.goldcoastsuns.com

SUNS find defensive Lynch-pin

Tuesday, 10 Apr 2012

By Michael Whiting

One positive Gold Coast SUNS took from Sunday's 92-point loss against St Kilda was unearthing teenager Tom Lynch as a defender.

Lynch, 19, started the game at Etihad Stadium in his customary key forward post, but with the GC SUNS defence struggling, he was sent back.

Saints captain Nick Riewoldt had two first quarter goals against Matthew Warnock, but Lynch managed to keep him to just two more for the remaining three quarters.

It was a noteworthy effort against one of the game's premier forwards who was getting plenty of chances from a dominant team.

Lynch, recruited from the Dandenong Stingrays, was the most impressive of Gold Coast's young key forwards last season, kicking 15 goals in 13 games.

He said going back to play on Riewoldt was an education he would lock away.

"I didn't expect to go back on him but it was an awesome experience," Lynch said.

"Hopefully there's a lot of things I can take and implement into my game and learn off him because he's a gun of the game.

"When he knew they were going to win the ball he just took off and went flat out, he wouldn't go 80 per cent. [I learnt from] his hard leads and his work back to get back to goal."

With suspended vice-captain Nathan Bock returning for Saturday's home match against Essendon, SUNS coach Guy McKenna now has an option with where to use Lynch.

Bock was sensational last year in defence but has been used in the forward line during the pre-season.

Wherever he and Bock are chosen, Lynch said he was excited to have the All Australian back.

"I think everyone's happy Bocky's back and I think he'll have a big influence and help steady us," he said.

"When he plays forward he might help free me up or the other players up because he'll probably take the best defender.

"Just his instructions out on the ground are great, a bit of experience there, it'll help us out a lot."

Lynch said Gold Coast SUNS second straight big loss to start the year was disappointing.

They have trailed by 31 and 30 points respectively at quarter-time against Adelaide and St Kilda in the opening fortnight and Lynch said most of the focus this week would go into their starts.

"After half-time we fought it out a bit but we have to work on our starts, we're getting smashed early, we have to fix that up and be even with them at quarter time in future," he said.

"The good thing about footy is there's a game next week, that's the only positive really."

Lynch has been running into a bit of form in recent weeks, taking a few grabs & getting involved in the play both as a forward & a backman. He was reported for a clash with GWS's Phil Davis in Round 7 but that was dismissed by the tribunal, as per the following report from http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/135770/default.aspx

The match day report against Gold Coast's Tom Lynch for bumping or making forceful contact from front-on against Greater Western Sydney's Phil Davis was assessed. Lynch and Davis were coming at the ball from opposite directions. Lynch had his arms outstretched in front of him in a bid to win the ball. As Lynch approached the ball, Davis dives forward and hit the ball to a team mate, just before his opponent was able to gather the ball. High contact was made to Davis but it was the view of the panel that Lynch was trying to win possession and did not have a realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken.

Lynch was struggling to move around by the end of the Round 10 clash with Collingwood. Now I see he is out for 2 to 4 weeks with a foot injury.

Lynch is back in the side & showing more maturity as we near the end of the Suns' 2nd AFL season.
From http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news-...go-down-there-and-not-finish-off-well/page-1/

Lynch: Will be disappointing to go down there and not finish off well

They may still be all smiles on the Gold Coast following Saturday night’s win over Carlton, however the Gold Coast SUNS have quickly turned their attention to Saturdays final match of the 2012 season.
The GC SUNS travel South to Adelaide and face a Crows outfit, that mathematically can still claim top spot on the Premiership ladder if results go their way.
Be disappointing to go down there and not finish off well, was the frank assessment of the week ahead from forward Tom Lynch as the GC SUNS gathered at Kurrawa beach this morning to begin preparations for the weekend.The clubs finest victory since entering the Toyota AFL Premiership wasn’t lost on the young star, who was confident there would be an extra spring in the players step at training throughout the week.
"I think we have had three wins at the back end of the season and it’s been good for us, it’s been good for the fans that we have played well at Metricon as well, finally had a win a couple of weeks ago and now we have had a second one and I think if we go down to Adelaide and put in a good performance, just play hard consistent footy it will hold us in good stead."
Obviously it’s been good, it should be a good week on the training track this week, and hopefully we can take that into Adelaide this weekend and finish strong, so we can have good confidence going into the pre-season.
Spurned on by the efforts of housemate Steven May the previous week, Tom Lynch ran riot in the GC SUNS forward line, bagging four goals in what was easily his best performance of the season.
“It’s been good playing with him because we live together and know each other well, so it’s great to play together.”

Lynch said the players understood it was important to play consistent football, otherwise they ran the risk of being relegated to the seconds.

I think we have just got to keep playing good footy because otherwise you will be in the NEAFL.
The inform forward saying the camaraderie isn’t restricted to the May/Lynch household, adding that the entire list had had demonstrated a greater awareness of each others strengths and weaknesses during the later stages of the season whilst displaying the confidence in each other to successfully stick to the game plan laid out for them by the coaching staff.

“Throughout the week Bluey set out a clear plan on how to stop them, so we did our homework on them and I suppose now we can really start to implement the plans.”

“In the pre-season we put in a more defensive game plan and now we are able to implement that game plan and we are starting to gel a lot more, blokes have naturally improved so I guess it’s natural improvement and sticking to the game plan.”

Many of the players celebrating on field and in the GC SUNS dressing rooms on Saturday night were there because they had made the most of their opportunities, elevated from the NEAFL as replacements for injured team mates.

For Lynch it’s a clear sign of the clubs development.
With these injuries it’s starting to show that we have got a bit of depth, at the start of the year, people didn’t think we had that depth and injuries create opportunities and the guys have taken those opportunities and played good footy.

I think Lynchy has had the aid of Ben Perkins recently, which has definitely helped him.

For those that don't know, Perkins is a goal kicking Coach. Has helped out Buddy, Roughead and more recently, Hurley.

No actual confirmation on that, and it's me just speculating considering the banter between them on Twitter, but it would help explain it a little bit. Lynch has always had the ability, but he's gone from spraying them wide to nailing them. Seems far more confident in front of the goals now, which in turn is lifting his form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back