Analysis Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely different situation. No one thought, especially Hawthorn, that Kennedy would reach the heights that he has with us. We know that Mitchell has the talent to amass high and effective possessions. We got Kennedy for a steal.

Kennedy looked pretty good for hawthorn, anyone could see that

After reading all this thread, i think i have the solution.

Rucks are overrated, just shark the opposition taps. Since we're not wasting space with a tall lumbering ruckman, we have one extra mid around the contest than them.

Then Tom gets a game.

Have been saying this for ages, and the only people that know it are the rucks, because when everyone else figures it out they will become extinct.

They crunched a full strength Hawthorn over there last year under Lyon they are something like 34 out of 39 wins at Subi.

It's a incredibly tough place to win.

And that's why the baby doesn't get thrown out with the bath water if we lose over there in Rd 4. You only have to look at the NBA how the top teams like Cavs or Spurs go on the road against one of the bottom teams in their conference and the hostile environment plays a major part in a loss. It happens, they move on and focus on the next one. Plenty of room and time for improvement left in the season but by the same token you don't want to many hiccups and must win the ones you are expected to win to be top 4 and possible top 2 because to repeat the 11 straight like last year will be a stretch.

And that's why the baby doesn't get thrown out with the bath water if we lose over there in Rd 4. You only have to look at the NBA how the top teams like Cavs or Spurs go on the road against one of the bottom teams in their conference and the hostile environment plays a major part in a loss. It happens, they move on and focus on the next one. Plenty of room and time for improvement left in the season but by the same token you don't want to many hiccups and must win the ones you are expected to win to be top 4 and possible top 2 because to repeat the 11 straight like last year will be a stretch.

82 game season though versus 22

You only have to look at the NBA how the top teams like Cavs or Spurs go on the road against one of the bottom teams in their conference and the hostile environment plays a major part in a loss. It happens, they move on and focus on the next one.

When you play 80 games in a season, a single loss is easier to get over than in a 20 game season!

But I agree with the actual point of not being too fussed about a loss to a decent team in the regular season. :thumbsu:

82 game season though versus 22

Yeah no probs with that and you have a lot more room for error no doubt but lets face it apart from Hawthorn at the G in Rd 8 and presuming our form doesn't desert us all together we start favourite in the rest of our games. Destiny in our own hands but understandably your not winning every time you step out. That's pro sport.

Yeah no probs with that and you have a lot more room for error no doubt but lets face it apart from Hawthorn at the G in Rd 8 and presuming our form doesn't desert us all together we start favourite in the rest of our games. Destiny in our own hands but understandably your not winning every time you step out. That's pro sport.

Very true

You can also take a lot out of a loss anyway

I think the late loss to hawthorn in 2012 at the scg helped us win the flag

I'm pretty sure Hawks got 3 draft picks from the late 40s onwards for Kennedy AND McGlynn. What makes you think we'd get something better from Mitchell? He's the same age as what Kennedy was, a similar inside player and only played a handful more games. If he doesn't play many games this year his trade value will be even lower.

I wouldn't begrudge him for a moment if he asks to be traded. Whoever suggesting in this thread that would be indicative of his attitude doesn't have a clue. The guy is in our best 22 and I'd be gutted if he left.

Yes I do.

No he's not.

Don't make the mistake of projecting your own feelings onto someone else. You might seek a trade in his position but all of his actions to date suggest that he will give his all to make the 22, whatever that takes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar to Everitt at Carlton then.

Disposals, smischosals I say.
You post a lot of unsubstantiated fluff in here and have never backed anything up with hard evidence. I was responding to a poster that said Kennedy never demonstrated the same ball winning ability as Mitchell. I demonstrated immediately that it was incorrect, and my post was directly relevant to the post I was quoting. You were as usual quick to hop in and fire off your 1 cent - "disposals, smischosals" which neither addresses the topic being discussed nor contributes anything to the thread.

You post a lot of unsubstantiated fluff in here and have never backed anything up with hard evidence. I was responding to a poster that said Kennedy never demonstrated the same ball winning ability as Mitchell. I demonstrated immediately that it was incorrect, and my post was directly relevant to the post I was quoting. You were as usual quick to hop in and fire off your 1 cent - "disposals, smischosals" which neither addresses the topic being discussed nor contributes anything to the thread.

A lot of unsubstantiated fluff ? They're also known as opinions, and my one cent buys as many sweets as yours. Seriously, who took your cornflakes away before you'd finished them ?

It's not your thread to dictate who types what and when. I don't give a rats bollocks which poster you were trying to put down with your stats. Average disposals means little without context, as I ably demonstrated. You wanted to score a point against another poster and I cut through the BS. Now you're throwing a strop and making silly claims.

Never backed up anything with hard evidence ? Try this - Source : Footywire stats. Andrejs Everitt. Average disposals 2015 : 19.3. Crikey, how did we ever let him go ?

What Everitt has or hasn't done is utterly irrelevant to a claim that Kennedy didn't have the ball-winning ability of Mitchell. If the topic was "players who average 19-20 disposals in the reserves all turn out to be stars" then sure, bring Everitt up.

EDIT: And for the record, Everitt is playing very well for Carlton and is a handy asset. Not sure why anyone would want to argue otherwise.

Last edited:
Completely different situation. No one thought, especially Hawthorn, that Kennedy would reach the heights that he has with us. We know that Mitchell has the talent to amass high and effective possessions. We got Kennedy for a steal.
Kennedy averaged 19.4 disposals in his last season at Hawthorn. Mitchell's career average is 19.8
He said Kennedy had not demonstrated the ball-winning ability of Mitchell. That isn't true, and Everitt has nothing to do with it.

No, he said they didn't know what they had in Kennedy, or how good he could be, whereas we know how good Mitchell is.
You responded by saying Kennedy had averaged 19.4 disposals as if that proved some point
As I said, so what, Everett has averaged 19.3 this year.

As for your comment "You were as usual quick to hop in and fire off your 1 cent". I don't see how posting a reply many hours later is 'quick to hop in'. Perhaps you're commenting on how fast I was typing. You have some kind of access to my webcam ? See if you can tell me what I'm doing now.

What Everitt has or hasn't done is utterly irrelevant to a claim that Kennedy didn't have the ball-winning ability of Mitchell. If the topic was "players who average 19-20 disposals in the reserves all turn out to be stars" then sure, bring Everitt up.

EDIT: And for the record, Everitt is playing very well for Carlton and is a handy asset. Not sure why anyone would want to argue otherwise.

Responding to your completely edited post now....

Everitt didn't get his 19.3 in the reserves so I'm not sure where you're headed with that, but yes he is playing well. I don't think anyone argued otherwise. You might want to read the 'unsubstantiated fluff not backed up with hard evidence' post on Everitt that I recently wrote in the former player's thread.

Point is that Kennedy's 19.4 average couldn't indicate to the Hawks that he would become a 30+ disposal man-mountain ball-magnet beast and the best inside mid in the league any more than Everett's 19.3 indicates anything particular is about to happen to him (if at all).

We all agree Mitchell's good so stop getting upset about it.

Responding to your completely edited post now....

Everitt didn't get his 19.3 in the reserves so I'm not sure where you're headed with that, but yes he is playing well. I don't think anyone argued otherwise. You might want to read the 'unsubstantiated fluff not backed up with hard evidence' post on Everitt that I recently wrote in the former player's thread.

Point is that Kennedy's 19.4 average couldn't indicate to the Hawks that he would become a 30+ disposal man-mountain ball-magnet beast and the best inside mid in the league any more than Everett's 19.3 indicates anything particular is about to happen to him (if at all).

We all agree Mitchell's good so stop getting upset about it.

Do we ? I am yet to be convinced nor obviously are the selectors. I agree he can get clearances, I agree he is slow and I agree he kicks the ball nearly as poorly as Tony Shaw. Does that make him good ??? Not so sure.
Do I want him to be good ??? Of course I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kicks the ball better than many in the seniors

What because he can actually hit a target from 10 meters ??? If that's what you have made your judgement on mate then you are correct because at times it seems there are a few that can't but if you ask him to hit a target from about 20 you are wrong because he can't make the distance. So lets agree to disagree.

What because he can actually hit a target from 10 meters ??? If that's what you have made your judgement on mate then you are correct because at times it seems there are a few that can't but if you ask him to hit a target from about 20 you are wrong because he can't make the distance. So lets agree to disagree.

Don't know what we are agreeing to disagree on, I just think if you ranked our team purely on kicking ability Mitchell is ahead of several senior team mates

This does not make him better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back