Analysis Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Morton was kicking bags in the NEAFL but didn't get his chance until 1-2 rounds out from the finals because he simply didn't do his defensive duties. Made a pretty good impact in the 2012 season if you ask me.

Seems that Mitchell is doing the same. For all of Tom's talent in in the contest, he really doesn't track his opponent hard enough and he gets goal side far too often, and loves to kick a goal. Last year and 2013 you could see him taking a shot from a weird angle when a lay-off to an open team mate was the better option.

Mitchell has been wonderful the last few weeks, really releases Parker/McVeigh and it has made our side more than one dimensional and it is great to see. Hope it continues for the whole season. Glad he got a few coaches votes.

Mitchell has been wonderful the last few weeks, really releases Parker/McVeigh and it has made our side more than one dimensional and it is great to see. Hope it continues for the whole season. Glad he got a few coaches votes.

welcome back!

Yes I really do think that a lot of the improvement we have seen in Parker has been because of Mitchell. Parker would not have been able to spend nearly as much time up forward last week if Mitchell was not there at the clearances.

Agreed. Now whilst Parker is a gun mid. Half the reason he is a gun is the ability to hit the scoreboard. The opposition is happy having Parker get 30 disposals nowhere near goal. He is a goal kicking mid, he needs to play 20-30% forward. Mitchell has been wonderful. The thing that has surprised me a bit is how clean with the foot he has been and it is a credit to him.

Agreed. Now whilst Parker is a gun mid. Half the reason he is a gun is the ability to hit the scoreboard. The opposition is happy having Parker get 30 disposals nowhere near goal. He is a goal kicking mid, he needs to play 20-30% forward. Mitchell has been wonderful. The thing that has surprised me a bit is how clean with the foot he has been and it is a credit to him.

His footskills are not bad, they aren't great but they are not bad. His handballing though, especially in heavy traffic, is elite.

His footskills are not bad, they aren't great but they are not bad. His handballing though, especially in heavy traffic, is elite.

Yeah same, I recon his footstools have improved a lot this year. Reminds me a bit of Priddis now in the fact that he knows his limitations with his foot skills.

Last edited:
Morton was kicking bags in the NEAFL but didn't get his chance until 1-2 rounds out from the finals because he simply didn't do his defensive duties. Made a pretty good impact in the 2012 season if you ask me.

Seems that Mitchell is doing the same. For all of Tom's talent in in the contest, he really doesn't track his opponent hard enough and he gets goal side far too often, and loves to kick a goal. Last year and 2013 you could see him taking a shot from a weird angle when a lay-off to an open team mate was the better option.

Bit different. Injury and suspension forced the change BUT it worked well and no person was happier than me. The ability at AFL between Mitch and Mitchell is pretty wide you have to admit. Mitch was only ever fringe at our place, and elsewhere as well.

Mitchell was already everything that everybody accused him of not being and is doing AFL really well again in this the 3rd coming or whatever it is.

He is just judged differently because for some reason saying the coaches stuffed up and made an error is heretical. The coaches must have been right.......or something. Like us bombing to outnumbers in the forward 50. See dropping him after the Richmond game last year as well.

People still project a 100+ gamer critique on him when he has played 20 odd. It is a bit unfair to be honest.

If he cleaned up his kicking efficiency and flattened his kicks would be elite.

That's a gigantic "if". Would rather he go the Brett Kirk route and never try to kick further than 35 metres, but focus on weighting his kicks to advantage. Kirky was a rubbish kick early but learnt to work within his limits to the point he was one of the more efficient kicks in our team.

Bit different. Injury and suspension forced the change BUT it worked well and no person was happier than me. The ability at AFL between Mitch and Mitchell is pretty wide you have to admit. Mitch was only ever fringe at our place, and elsewhere as well.

Mitchell was already everything that everybody accused him of not being and is doing AFL really well again in this the 3rd coming or whatever it is.

He is just judged differently because for some reason saying the coaches stuffed up and made an error is heretical. The coaches must have been right.......or something. Like us bombing to outnumbers in the forward 50. See dropping him after the Richmond game last year as well.

People still project a 100+ gamer critique on him when he has played 20 odd. It is a bit unfair to be honest.

You're probably right. Horse has no idea. Marty Mattner is knocking down the door in the NEAFL and doing everything that's asked of him. Time for that ageing Horse to step aside.

But you have been wanting to keep a 35 year old in the team? And you are demanding people show ethereal "things" to the coaches who demand they work on these "things" in the NEAFL and bash a door down to get a spot before they are played. Because, like what happened to the namesake of this thread, that was good and smart coaching.

So we play ageing and half broken player(s) yet make sure NEAFL players demand a spot and do all this stuff the coaches want first BUT at the same time blood youth, or something, to improve depth whilst still trying to win games rotating a midfield, and other positions I presume, that are misfiring more than firing.

If you/they/whatever are not going to play Mitchell after what he was doing, appearing quite sanguine he was in the NEAFL to work on "things", and then drop him after he stars in a senior game how is anyone else going to get a crack?

Just trying to reconcile all of your thoughts. None of it is making any sense at all to me.

I can't see how it is going to all work in the framework of a season that a few unexpected (see Western Bulldogs game or Port as a club as a case in point) losses can jeopardise not just a home final but a top 4 spot?

Translated from the original Russian using Google Translate ?

That's a gigantic "if". Would rather he go the Brett Kirk route and never try to kick further than 35 metres, but focus on weighting his kicks to advantage. Kirky was a rubbish kick early but learnt to work within his limits to the point he was one of the more efficient kicks in our team.

The one problem with this is that we have seen him roost it 50-55m plus for goal. Generally it isn't too difficult to harness that power and flatten them out to 40m passes that hit targets regularly. Kirk couldn't really kick over 45 with a Stiff breeze behind him.

The one problem with this is that we have seen him roost it 50-55m plus for goal. Generally it isn't too difficult to harness that power and flatten them out to 40m passes that hit targets regularly. Kirk couldn't really kick over 45 with a Stiff breeze behind him.
Mitchell's improved his set shots and his handball is accurate under pressure. I expect he can also improve his field kicking under pressure though there are always limits for an inside mid. Sometimes they just need to get the ball moving forward. In a crowd of players the clearing kick often has to go up and under to avoid kicking into a man. Personally I prefer the quick handball outside to a moving Hanners, Jetta et al.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're probably right. Horse has no idea. Marty Mattner is knocking down the door in the NEAFL and doing everything that's asked of him. Time for that ageing Horse to step aside.

Why? Is this a personality cult whereby the coach is always right?

I didn't get that memo. Talk about intellectual laziness.

How boring.

Translated from the original Russian using Google Translate ?

Yeh I know getting called out is hard and when confronted by your own contradictions it can be difficult to admit it.

But perk up, new day and all. Who knows you might actually find an arguable point somewhere and not resort to calling posters kids and all that.

Yeh I know getting called out is hard and when confronted by your own contradictions it can be difficult to admit it.

But perk up, new day and all. Who knows you might actually find an arguable point somewhere and not resort to calling posters kids and all that.

Perhaps it was the poor use of English that made it such a confusing read. A good effort no doubt, but the argument, if there was one, was lost in translation.

Really pleased with his last quarter tonight.
Went to Sam Mitchell, after he had run riot in the 3rd qtr and restricted his influence.
We know Tom can rack up the possies, good to see him essentially change the focus from that side of his game and help turn the tide in the final term.

Thought this was easily the worst of Tom's game this year.

Some moments where he really struggled to make an aerial contest. Looked a little limited.

Credits in the bank though.

Thought this was easily the worst of Tom's game this year.

Some moments where he really struggled to make an aerial contest. Looked a little limited.

Credits in the bank though.

I've been one of Mitchell's more vocal "critics" (really I just hate his kicking, love pretty much everything else about him), and I think that's bloody harsh. He grabbed his 25 touches and was good in close in a very physical match.

I remember watching a video of him in an under 18s comp and thinking to myself "he's already one of the best handballers I've seen"

His hands are lightning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back