Past Tom Rockliff (2008-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Range is his problem. Can only kick em from about 40-45. So to be a good chance he needs to ideally get to that 30-35m range, which is pretty deep. Has been most dangerous when he was out marking opponents deep, but not sure he will play that role under Leppa.

He wont be the first there to crumb either, so snapping them from contested ball situations or getting a mark and shot from a turn over and locking the ball in forward line is his best bet.

We probably have the depth now though to cover him playing forward to rest. Probably have Rocky, Beams, Bundy as our best center square combo. Rocky can rest forward and Redden can come in. Bundy can cycle out and Zorko can come in. Rocky cycles back in after resting forward and Beams goes forward. No matter who rests forward we still have a very strong mid set up. Just not sure if it is better for Rocky to bench for 5 or potentially rest forward for 10 and stay on field.

Either way im sure Daly sleeps very well at night with the weapons at his disposal.

Last edited:
59 goals in a season is a good return, in an elite junior league where he was actually played as a forward....

AFL Career 101 games.. 94 shots -G 51 B 43

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/T/Tom_Rockliff.html

Certainly a good return in an elite junior league. No arguing against that.

Stats largely going against my opinion. Always feels like he is missing easy opportunities at goal, perhaps that is what I should have said at first.

Certainly a good return in an elite junior league. No arguing against that.

Stats largely going against my opinion. Always feels like he is missing easy opportunities at goal, perhaps that is what I should have said at first.

Yeah fair call...as I said, "dunno"...It's a bit of an unknown quantity as he hasn't been played solely as a forward at AFL level..

Rocky at 19. Just about right. He is in the top 20 players. Nice write up IMO. I am surprised that Heppell is considered a better footballer than Rocky ( or Mitchell for that matter)
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-13/players-top-50-2011

19. Tom Rockliff Brisbane Lions
Midfielder
Last year's ranking: -
Official AFL Player Rating: 18
Debut: 2009
Games: 101
NAB AFL Fantasy value: $763,000

The heart and soul of the Lions, Rockliff is coming off his best season and has been rewarded with the captaincy for 2015. A ball magnet, the workaholic midfielder led the AFL in average disposals (32.7) last season and won his first All Australian selection and second Merrett-Murray Medal as the club's best and fairest. Rockliff is a clever footballer, runs hard all game, finds space well and wins his own ball. He may not have the most penetrating kick, but is one of the best at delivering into the forward 50.

Rocky at 19. Just about right. He is in the top 20 players. Nice write up IMO. I am surprised that Heppell is considered a better footballer than Rocky ( or Mitchell for that matter)

Midfielder

The heart and soul of the Lions, Rockliff is coming off his best season and has been rewarded with the captaincy for 2015. A ball magnet, the workaholic midfielder led the AFL in average disposals (32.7) last season and won his first All Australian selection and second Merrett-Murray Medal as the club's best and fairest. Rockliff is a clever footballer, runs hard all game, finds space well and wins his own ball. He may not have the most penetrating kick, but is one of the best at delivering into the forward 50.

Agree with this, I think 19 is about right.

Given Rocky's best attribute (IMO) is his consistency of work and involvement, if he could back it up this year I think he'll climb again. Priddis seems to be roughly a year ahead of him on a similar trajectory.

Midfielder

Mitchell is fair IMO

Heppell is just a token vic nomination, I don't think anyone actually thinks he is the 15th best player in the comp.. surely not?

Mitchell is fair IMO

Heppell is just a token vic nomination, I don't think anyone actually thinks he is the 15th best player in the comp.. surely not?

I did a list for a website a little while ago and had Rocky 17th and Heppell 18th.

Heppell was super last year. I know some smart people who rate him in the league's top 10.

I think Heppell is a gun and to think we could of had him instead of Polec. Anyway. Im ok with Heppell being rated that high, took a lot of responsibility last year and probably a bit more penetrating with his kicking than Rocky. All bloody good players really and it comes down to who would be best on a particular day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In relation to Heppell if he is able to have a year like last year again then it is that consistency which means that he is a top player with in the league

19-2015TDA-ON.jpg

What happened to Rockys shoulder Ac joint maybe. Did he ever do damage in there ?

I wonder if that last quarter mark and goal secured more time forward for Rocky this season.

I love that when Robinson tells the home truth at the retreat that the club was perceived as a pushover he got frustrated and angry. It's as if it were an insult directed at him personally. Club is well and truly a part of him.

Rockliff keeping aggression

TOM ROCKLIFF says he has to watch the "silly stuff", but the new Brisbane Lions captain won't change the aggressive way he plays.

Rockliff fell on the wrong side of the Tribunal tightrope twice last season, missing matches for separate hits on Hawthorn's Sam Mitchell and Richmond's Alex Rance.

He was also the centre of attention for a verbal post-match confrontation with Kangaroo Brent Harvey, in which the Lion was later forced to apologise and make a donation to charity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back