Past Tom Rockliff (2008-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that we were trumpeting our midfield depth preseason but in fact we don't have much in the way of replacements. Golby played midfield in the ressies apparently which is pretty telling. The rest are all youngsters.

Best we can do is bring in ZoB, play Rich mid with Golby down back, etc...Work with what we have. Rockliff and Hanley are two of our top 4 mids, and thats always going to hurt.

"The ribs will take a month to heal and we'll have to assess from there. The issue might revolve more around flying and just when he's able to do that."

Pencil in rocky for 4 weeks out, he'd drive to Melbourne if he had to

Best we can do is bring in ZoB, play Rich mid with Golby down back, etc...Work with what we have. Rockliff and Hanley are two of our top 4 mids, and thats always going to hurt.
Wouldn't we have to place someone on the lti list to play ZOB? And I wouldn't discount Cutler as a replacement down back.

Wouldn't we have to place someone on the lti list to play ZOB? And I wouldn't discount Cutler as a replacement down back.

Dont we get a free Rookie upgrade anyway? Or Hanley should be an LTI, really...Otherwise yeah, Cutler in Rich to the mid...

Dont we get a free Rookie upgrade anyway? Or Hanley should be an LTI, really...Otherwise yeah, Cutler in Rich to the mid...

Only get a free rookie upgrade if there is a free spot on the senior list. We used our full draft compliment so we don't have the extra main list spot.

Probably posted elsewhere, but spent the night at the Mater. Obviously quite a serious injury.

I'd be surprised if his "out" was as short as speculated. And even then, he can look forward to being "tested" as G. Ablett will be from here on in.

Rockliff to miss up to 6

BRISBANE Lions captain Tom Rockliff will miss up to six weeks after scans confirmed broken ribs and a punctured lung from an incident in Saturday night's loss against Collingwood.

Rockliff stayed in hospital overnight following an accidental knee from Magpie Travis Varcoe during the third quarter, and had the bad news confirmed on Sunday morning.

"He's got broken ribs and punctured his lung and will be out for up to six weeks," Lions football manager Dean Warren told AFL.com.au.

Rockliff: "Stick with us"

"We got smashed in contested footy, plain and simple," Rockliff told lions.com.au.

"It's something that was a major focus all preseason, so to have a massive crowd turn out and then to play like that is unacceptable, even if we fought back late.

"We all take ownership of that and we know what we have to do to turn it around.

"The boys know what we have to fix and those things will be worked on during the week so we can go to Melbourne and put in a huge effort, then come back to the Gabba in a fortnight to put on a show against Richmond when we hope just as big a crowd will turn out.

"It was a huge thrill to play in front of such a big crowd last night even though it wasn't the result we wanted - and we want all of Brisbane to Get To The Gabba again."

10956756_1406757422974771_1476243084_n.jpg

tomrockliff38 Being stuck in hospital isn't so bad when I have nurse @josie__c looking after me... 6h

11055771_781683091946997_1501931662_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw Rocky picking her up at the airport on Wednesday. He's clearly done very well for himself.

“It was one of the most painful experiences I’ve been through,” Rockliff said.

“I think I went into a little bit of shock there as it happened. I couldn’t get any oxygen in.

“I’ve broken a leg and stuff, but that was probably the worst experience I’ve ever had, just not only on a footy field, but in my life.”

“You see a bit of the footage, I go pretty white. I just couldn’t get any oxygen in. I think I started to panic,” he said.

“When I was on the ground, I tried to whip out my mouthguard as quick as I could because I was trying to breathe as much as I could. It’s a pretty scary feeling — laying on the ground and you don’t know what to do and you can’t get any oxygen in.

“It felt like the air was getting to my throat and coming straight back up, so it was sort of like I was choking.”

Rockliff nominated the Lions’ home clash against Port Adelaide in Round 7 as a realistic return date, but admitted his comeback would depend on how his ribs settled and how much pressure they could absorb.

“I don’t think I can fly for six weeks, so I’m probably looking at four to six weeks (on the sidelines) at the moment, maybe play a home game and miss an away game,” he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ry-fni5f4q3-1227294827923?from=herald sun_rss

Surely we can put him in some sort of iron lung for a flight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back