Past Tom Rockliff (2008-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rockliff named in the Round 22 Team of the Week

Brisbane Lions Captain Tom Rockliff has been named in afl.com.au's Team of the Week after his massive game against the Hawks.

AFL writer Nathan Schmook named Rockliff as a follower and said: TOM ROCKLIFF (Brisbane Lions) - Made a great start against the reigning premiers but wasn't supported by teammates. Still, powered on all day to have 45 possessions, 11 clearances and 14 tackles.

Love Patty Welsh. Great empathy in his questioning allowing Rocky to speak with emotion instead of just saying the right words like so many interviews you see now. You can see it has been difficult for him up you can also see that he believes they are on the right path. He will grow into a wonderful leader through this and I think the players that follow will be galvanised by how he has handled a very tough year. He is really becoming the captain of our club now.

Rocky will be a happy boy tonight. Benalla have won their first flag in 42 years. Has been a big weekend for Benalla, they had their Benalla Cup on friday, now this win.

Wonder if he was there, has been in the past.

Player Reviews: Part Eight

In his first season as Captain, Tom Rockliff was dealt one of the most difficult seasons the Lions have experienced: he endured 18 losses and battled personal injury (breaking his ribs in Round One and again in Round Nine). Without Rockliff’s on-field voice, the team struggled to register wins. Though his 2015 season did not match the previous year’s effort (for which he won All-Australian selection), Rockliff had an exceptional back-half of the year, collecting 45 possessions and making 14 tackles in the Lions’ Round 22 loss to the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im really hoping 2016 it all clicks for rocky. Hope his football comes together and with what seems a more solid group under him he will shine. Increased midfield help might see rockliff resting forward swapping with beams in the middle. If we can get one of them 2 playing 30-40% forward game time between them then they should combine for an easy 2 goals.

Im really hoping 2016 it all clicks for rocky. Hope his football comes together and with what seems a more solid group under him he will shine. Increased midfield help might see rockliff resting forward swapping with beams in the middle. If we can get one of them 2 playing 30-40% forward game time between them then they should combine for an easy 2 goals.

They'll have to as on average a player will only get 1 rest per quarter :thumbsu:

"I will always defend my footy club"

A tough 2015 will produce a stronger Brisbane Lions in the years ahead, says Captain Tom Rockliff.

The 25-year-old dual best-and-fairest winner acknowledges that last season was challenging but he says it won't necessarily prove to be a negative in the long run.

"It was probably a defining year for the next couple of years," said Rockliff, who is in Ireland as part of the Australian team for the Virgin Australia International Rules Series.

The tough road that Rockliff travelled last season as his name hit the headlines, and he was forced to respond, was difficult but ultimately fruitful.

"It was probably a good lesson for me in the way to approach that. I probably shouldn't have shot from the hip and gone about it the right way," Rockliff said.

"But I will always defend my footy club and what we stand for."

Rocky Named In International Rules Squad

Brisbane Lions Captain Tom Rockliff will represent his country for the second time next month when Australia takes on Ireland in the 2015 International Rules Series, to be played at Croke Park in Dublin on November 21.

Rockliff, is part of a star-studded line-up, which features some of the game's best. Lining up alongside Rockliff will be Patrick Dangerfield, Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge and Eddie Betts.

Australia regained the Cormac Macanallen Trophy with victory in last November's Test on home soil in Perth and has again named a squad comprised entirely of All Australian players (either selected in 2015 or who have been All Australian Players at some point in their careers), under the direction of coaches Alastair Clarkson, Ross Lyon and Chris Scott.

In conversation with lambert the other week he hinted rockliff will play forward alot more this season. He could kick 30-40 himself given enough midfield help.

In conversation with lambert the other week he hinted rockliff will play forward alot more this season. He could kick 30-40 himself given enough midfield help.

He's the type that will still be able to pick up his 30 disposals and average a goal or so a game. Beams, Rocky, etc etc will all spend more time forward.

I think Leppa showed a real desire to have one of our three big name mids (Beams, Rocky, Hanley) go forwards. All three spent time forward at times but it was robbing Peter to pay Paul given we could never get the full midfield cohort fit. If our midfield is our strength, then we have to get more out of them in terms of goals.

Wasn't the rumour that part of the fallout between Rocky and Voss was caused by Voss wanting to play Rocky forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back