Past Tom Rockliff (2008-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Tom Rockliff

Unless I'm mistaken, we've effectively swapped Corrie for Rockliff -

We traded Corrie to Collingwood for pick 93, which shortened to pick 82 in the national draft, which we didn't use, which gave us pick 5 in the pre-season draft, which was used to select Rockliff . . .

It'll be interesting to compare Rockliff to Corrie in a season or two.
I think it's safe to say Rockliff has surpassed corrie

Rockliff named Captain

Tom Rockliff has been named as the new Captain of the Brisbane Lions Football Club.

Rockliff, 24, was announced as Captain today by Senior Coach Justin Leppitsch, after a selection process involving players, coaches, physical performance staff and the Club executive.

His elevation to the captaincy was ratified by the Club’s Board last night and the playing group were informed this morning.

Following famous footsteps

In 128 years of combined VFL/AFL history incorporating Fitzroy, the Bears, and the merged Brisbane Lions, Tom Rockliff today became just the 54th person to be named Captain of the Club.

In terms of the Lions post-merger, he is just the ninth person to be granted the honour since 1997 – and only the fourth to hold it solely behind Michael Voss, Jonathan Brown, and his predecessor, Jed Adcock.

Great decision, another that's not afraid to speak his mind.

Came across as the leader last year for me at least so it sort of feels like it's just official.

It's Rocky at the summit of the Lions

"That's the way I've always played my footy and I play it on the edge and occasionally overstep the mark," he said.

"That's something I've got to be aware of … I can't afford to be suspended, especially in this position, you need your captain out there.

"I want to lead from the front and lead by example. We need that little edge to us as well.

"Hopefully I can instill that in a few others. Hopefully moving forward we can bring that hard edge that the early 2000 Lions had."

Just thought I would post this clip from 2013. I love the part when Merrett tells him who taught him how to kick left foot snap goals and Tom Rockliff's reaction. Give it a watch it will put a smile on your face.

That is a great clip for so many reasons. Manny Lynch, The People's Beard,..

Tom Rockliff announced as Brisbane Lions captain, five reasons why it was right choice

WHEN Tom Rockliff was announced as Brisbane’s new skipper, the Lions’ decision was warmly embraced by footy fans around the country.

Rockliff was unveiled as the Lions’ sole captain for the 2015 season on Thursday, replacing veteran defender Jed Adcock.

His rising popularity among fans was clear in the immediate aftermath of the announcement. Over the first three hours of a News Corp poll, almost 92 per cent of readers said Rockliff was the right choice to succeed Adcock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a different look to back then ...

Last edited:

Matthew Lloyd apologises!!! :eek:

As much as it could hurt the Rocks Brownlow chances, I could see him being a very good man to have up the forward half 30-40% of a game to ensure the young guys are following the structures and to be their director. I can see it having the same effect as when Goose played in 2014.

It'll be a suck and see.We really have no certainty where our goals are coming from,probably more than any other team in the comp.If he goes down there it might be a hint we are not travelling that well in the goal dept.

He's not a reliable enough shot for goal to be thinking you'll get many goals out of him.

Dunno..He's not a stranger to playing there....
Playing as a creative medium-sized forward, Rockliff booted 59 goals and won the Murray Bushrangers’ best and fairest award. His quality performance in the TAC Cup grand final was overshadowed by eventual first-rounder Steele Sidebottom, who booted 10 goals.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/07/28/future-captain-tom-rockliff-in-dominant-form/

Probably clutching at straws, but I do wonder if Rocky has to carry less of the workload in the middle if he'll have fresher legs to kick straighter at goal.

Probably clutching at straws, but I do wonder if Rocky has to carry less of the workload in the middle if he'll have fresher legs to kick straighter at goal.

I think this has been talked about before. But I'd say it would help to some extent.

Goal kicking pretty well the only thing holding him back from being a top 5-10 player in the competition imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back