BeechyMagpie

All Australian
May 13, 2013
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United & GWS :)
Just wanted to gain general opinion on how Scully is going and where he is at in terms of list position and longevity?

My thoughts are he wouldn't be in our top 10 players as of right now, nor in our long term top 10 players. He's certainly no more important than 15 others, nor is his upside as great as some of the young developing mids we have.

I understand our need to have guys fill a role for 3 or 4 years whilst the draft picked players go from young kids to mature AFL ready bodies, but once this happens, what happens to Scully?

Of our 'mature age' recruits from year 1 - We rather smartly targeted the 20 year old bracket and got Ward, Palmer, Scully, Davis.

Out of them Ward has proven to be our natural leader, Davis has done a sterling effort in an overworked back line, and Palmer, whilst indifferent, has shown promising signs in the last 12 months, yet Scully is the one for me who their are question marks over.

Is Scully in our 'premiership team' once all the other gun young mids develop? Am I being harsh on him?

Just wanted to gain general opinion on how Scully is going and where he is at in terms of list position and longevity?

My thoughts are he wouldn't be in our top 10 players as of right now, nor in our long term top 10 players. He's certainly no more important than 15 others, nor is his upside as great as some of the young developing mids we have.

I understand our need to have guys fill a role for 3 or 4 years whilst the draft picked players go from young kids to mature AFL ready bodies, but once this happens, what happens to Scully?

Of our 'mature age' recruits from year 1 - We rather smartly targeted the 20 year old bracket and got Ward, Palmer, Scully, Davis.

Out of them Ward has proven to be our natural leader, Davis has done a sterling effort in an overworked back line, and Palmer, whilst indifferent, has shown promising signs in the last 12 months, yet Scully is the one for me who their are question marks over.

Is Scully in our 'premiership team' once all the other gun young mids develop? Am I being harsh on him?

I think you're being harsh on him, and if it's him or Palmer, Im picking Tom Scully every time.

If in three years time, we are in a window to be pushing top 4, is he in the team?

With our midfield depth and the development of 10 midfielders we've drafted over the past 3 years, I'm not so sure.

If in three years time, we are in a window to be pushing top 4, is he in the team?

With our midfield depth and the development of 10 midfielders we've drafted over the past 3 years, I'm not so sure.

Thats in four years - lets see how it rolls out then.

The other point to remember is that in four years, Tom Scully's contract has expired, and we're dealing with a situation where he has either been recontracted or is not at the club.

If he is recontracted, I dont think it will be at the average of his first contract.

That was the question; not as to his value in terms of $$ - but where will he stand in 3/4 years time.

Just looked at Gold Coast possible midfield; Jeepers.

Ablett, Prestia, Jack Martin, Jaeger, Swallow, Bennell - If they progress the way that is expected, that is one hell of an exceptional midfield to come.

That was the question; not as to his value in terms of $$ - but where will he stand in 3/4 years time.

Just looked at Gold Coast possible midfield; Jeepers.

Ablett, Prestia, Jack Martin, Jaeger, Swallow, Bennell - If they progress the way that is expected, that is one hell of an exceptional midfield to come.

*shrug* Who knows how the future will go.

Me, Im pretty happy with Ward, Coniglio, Shiel, Kelly, Scully and Treloar.

sculls is a racehorse.
the midfield depth isnt allowing him to use this skill.
wait until the others come on , and he will be the link player that hes meant to be.
uder rated a lot by the press and supporters for his hard work ethic and gutzy in an unders.

I think scully is class. Biggest drawback is he is an inside mid with an outsiders body. For someone his age to still be 75 kg is unusual after several preseasons

But by all accounts he is a great trainer with bucketloads of guts so I can't see why he isn't a lynchpin for our future

I'm a fan

Melbourne FC must not have had any weights back in the day!

Its fair to say serious questions have been raised about the Dees training and conditioning program in the period Scully was at the club.

My friends on the Melbourne board would probably use stronger language on their board if asked about this period.

Yep 10 years of draft picks and struggles wiped out like the place is the Bermuda triangle. Quite sad really.

The whole notion of the AFL being a cyclical business, where you go up, you go down, you have success, you rebuild. Poor Melbourne have been through false dawns, coaching changes, high draft picks and only now does it feel as though it is actually on the right path. Problem is, could it be to little too late. Just hope they get some reward for effort, and some wins this year to keep sponsors on board and supporters happy.

Yep 10 years of draft picks and struggles wiped out like the place is the Bermuda triangle. Quite sad really.

The whole notion of the AFL being a cyclical business, where you go up, you go down, you have success, you rebuild. Poor Melbourne have been through false dawns, coaching changes, high draft picks and only now does it feel as though it is actually on the right path. Problem is, could it be to little too late. Just hope they get some reward for effort, and some wins this year to keep sponsors on board and supporters happy.

You're a Collingwood supporter.

Imagine the Pies go through a season with one win, and one win only.

It was against Carlton.

Was the season a *total* failure ?

Same with the Dees.

It's more than just results though.

It's about hope for the supporters, it's about giving the supporters a reason to continue turning up. Collingwood supporters, like most, are relatively fickle, and as soon as you are non competitive, numbers do drop off, It's just with Collingwood there are more of us.

I've got a lot of great friends who are Melbourne supporters. 3 of which have young kids. On the weekend, they finally, got to put pictures on FB of their young children in a Melbourne jumper celebrating the win. The smiles on the faces said it all to me. Like any supporter; all you want is for your team to be competitive and have some hope that you are on the right path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more than just results though.

It's about hope for the supporters, it's about giving the supporters a reason to continue turning up. Collingwood supporters, like most, are relatively fickle, and as soon as you are non competitive, numbers do drop off, It's just with Collingwood there are more of us.

I've got a lot of great friends who are Melbourne supporters. 3 of which have young kids. On the weekend, they finally, got to put pictures on FB of their young children in a Melbourne jumper celebrating the win. The smiles on the faces said it all to me. Like any supporter; all you want is for your team to be competitive and have some hope that you are on the right path.

The thing that made me think that Melbourne had hope against a very soft Carlton side was the fact that - while their forward line was a disaster area and their skills were generally terrible - Melbourne declined to play bruise-free footy against us in the wet at Skoda.

Speaking of bruise-free footy, while not a big bloke, Tom Scully doesnt do it. He regularly does the tough things on the inside, and he is always running and presenting.

Yep fair point re Scully.

Perhaps I am harsh on him. Especially considering he is relatively young himself. I do understand the role he plays in the team, and in order to allow the other younger boys to prosper and develop he has to play a different role, but I guess I was hoping for more from him; similar to Ward how he has broken out.

I'm a bit of a soft touch; I would love for nothing more than some of these under achieving sides, and more importantly the fans of these sides, to have some success.

As you would expect from Barrett a Ablett vs Scully comparison article
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-01/the-money-or-the-gun

While the article is somewhat unfair, can't help but think that Scully should come to the table and offer to take a paycut so we have more freedom in our cap to either chase more experience so we get better sooner or make it easier to keep Cameron & Co.

As you would expect from Barrett a Ablett vs Scully comparison article
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-01/the-money-or-the-gun

While the article is somewhat unfair, can't help but think that Scully should come to the table and offer to take a paycut so we have more freedom in our cap to either chase more experience so we get better sooner or make it easier to keep Cameron & Co.

Nope, a contract is a contract.

If we go down that path, then you're justifying a Jeremy Cameron coming to the table and demanding more money right now.

Sculls is always going to be unfairly criticised. But I'm glad we have him on our team. He is one of the few still gut running late in the 4th and runs hard to link up. Ablett is one if the best players we've seen this century and any player can be unfairly compared to him.

Actually isn't on that much coin as he received about 2 mil in year 1 and I think close to 2 mil in year 2. We have an inflated salary cap until 2018 so I think his contract isn't an issue any more. I'd say by his last 2 years he will be on under 500k pa.

Yea I read his contract was very much heavily front end.

As a GWS fan, are you happy with him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See the tom silly thread for my full answer but yes I am happy. Who else were we going to pay in years 1 and 2 that would've moved to gws. And please don't list off players like Easton wood or bradd dalziell for the low price of top ten picks.

Bit rough to compare a great to a kid but i think its more a reflection of the desperation GWS had to secure talent in those first years when established players wouldn't come for reasonable offers. Granted Scully needs to continue improving but he is still quite young and has plenty of time left on his contract to do so

Remove this Banner Ad

Back