Tony Modra

Remove this Banner Ad

bombermick

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2009
Vermont South
AFL Club
Essendon
Through the 90's he was one of my fav players to watch, he could do it all. He could jump on Mick Martyn's shoulders with no extra lift, he could kick the impossible goal. He regulary kicked bags of goals. But, even as one of the best FF's in the comp and probably the second most talented player in the comp at that stage (behind one G.Ablett) he never quite fulfilled his talent. He seemed to like the good life.

He was football's version of Marat Safin, highly talented yet didn't quite want success as much as the less talented guy beside him. He was then unlucky enough to get injured and miss out on premiership success. The Crows had two amazingly talented players in that era with Jarman and Modra. Thoughts?

My fav player of the 90s.....Moooodddrrraaaa!!...."that is mark of the year...I will tell you now, no one will beat that" :thumbsu:

ModraDVD.jpg

Was an absolute legend, first non-saint player I really liked. Still have that Modra vhs, insane talent. Was sad the way he ended his career, deserved a flag. Probably should have done more with his talent, but I think he's a bit underrated due to playing in the shadow of 3 of the best FFs of all time.

Great player and had that amazing talent, that very few players have. Drawing power. He just pulled people through the gates and could do anything on the ground, evidenced by winning a GOTY even tho' better known for his marking.

He was a phenom in this City, Cornsey once said he was bigger here than Bradman, he was roundly criticised but he was talking in context. He wrote the article after going over the road from Footy Park (West Lakes Shopping Centre for those familiar) to get lunch, Mods didn't want to go, Cornesy couldn't him stupid, they were just getting a sandwich. 4 hours later they got back. He got mobbed, and that happened everywhere he went, he became a recluse and never dealt well with it until much later.

The bloke can still play btw, he is a regular pre-match in kicking for goal competitions for a fan. Every year he wins someone a Camry. He's a freak.

I remember hearing a few of his contemporaries
(who were stars in their own right), saying that he was the most talented player they had ever seen, it wasn't even close. Unfortunately can't remember the players who said that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a gun of the highest order. Just watchin that video on page 1, you think he would be number 1 on the all time list for amount of soccer goals...

Had three significant chances to play in a Grand Final, let alone a Premiership.

1993 - dominated the Prelim, kicked 6 or 7, but had no mates in the second half.
1997 - did a knee in the Prelim.
1998 - dropped by Blighty (ultimately a great decision, but still harsh on Mods).

I have often wondered why this man doesn't get the recognition he deserved. When talking about the some of the great players of the last 20 years, his name barely gets a mention. At his best, he was right up there with the greats.

A sublime talent who would put in a mark of year contender week in week out. Consistenly kicked bags of goals from everywhere. Some of my favourite football memories as a youngster were going to Victoria Park and seeing this guy up close, taking speckies and giving it to the crowd. As long as we won of course. I'll never forget the old chant that got belted out everytime the crows ventured to Vic Park. "Modra takes it up the arse, doo da, doo da". An oldie but a goodie.

Players like him are the reason we watch football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back