JD11

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2008
Reykjavík
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
It's probably a 'jobs for the boys' thing. But why do we have so many people commenting/commentating on a game?

Most US sports that I watch - and America is the benchmark for sports broadcasting - has one play-by-play caller, one expert, and sometimes one 'on-the-ground' commenter. The best AFL calling I've heard in the last few years was Brian Taylor/Luke Darcy/Matthew Richardson (when Darcy was just an 'expert', not his atrocious play-by-play calling). I've even heard old Rompingwins call solo, and not sound too bad.

The thing that really shits me is having two play-by-play callers. If you've ever listened to times when we've had only one caller in the box, it doesn't matter who it is, they tend to give a much more measured call and they flow a lot better. Just last night, having Bruce and Brian always handing the call over mid-play meant that they both just went as hard as possible for 20 seconds or however long, and lost breath, and gave it to the other guy.

Then there's the ever expanding fleet of 'experts' AKA recently retired coaches/players whose agents hooked them up with a cushy post-career gig.

Does anyone else agree that we need a campaign for a less-is-more approach to football calling? On TV especially, we can see the play, we don't need all the "AWW!!" and the inaudible yelling that destroys the real atmosphere of the game, generated primarily by the crowd noises.

1335718800000.jpg

Often on a Friday night if you are watching on Fox, you can hear up to 14 voices (seven Channel 7 commentators, six Fox Footy commentators and one journalist) within 2.5 hours of footy.

The radio calls are 2+1. The A-League TV games are similar (and shock horror, they actually shut up when they have nothing to contribute to the vision). If that Channel 7 crowd gets any bigger they could just about field a team.

Yep, definitely too many. One caller, one special comments, one boundary rider (for injuries, substitutions and weather conditions only). That's all you need.

Turn up the effects mic so that we can actually hear the crowd and let us hear the roar after a big moment, not just some idiot commentator struggling to find words.

and America is the benchmark for sports broadcasting
Objection. It's the UK. Everything they do is clean, simple and concise. No flashy bullshit and excessive hype you get in the States, especially when you watch NFL panel shows.

The best AFL calling I've heard in the last few years was Brian Taylor/Luke Darcy/Matthew Richardson (when Darcy was just an 'expert', not his atrocious play-by-play calling). I've even heard old Rompingwins call solo, and not sound too bad.
You think that's the best?

You have no idea.

The radio calls are 2+1.
It's normally 2+2. ABC and 3AW always have 2 callers, 2 special comments. MMM normally does as well, but sometimes their interstate matches may be 2+1.

Only SEN regularly have less than 2 special comments men, especially for interstate games, not so much Melbourne games.

Sat night on C&, I'm pretty sure it was just BT calling with two comments men - worked much better imo.

Objection. It's the UK. Everything they do is clean, simple and concise. No flashy bullshit and excessive hype you get in the States, especially when you watch NFL panel shows.
I guess I don't watch/listen to much UK broadcasting. But I've heard the tiresome and forced hyperbole of Peter Drury many times. He has a lovely voice and is an eloquent man, but he knows it and reaches too far too often.

Yep, definitely too many. One caller, one special comments, one boundary rider (for injuries, substitutions and weather conditions only). That's all you need.
Couldn't agree more. Do not need more than this.

TV is a visual medium, we can SEE what is happening. At Half-time or whenever then by all means have 27 blokes analysing it.

I concur with the majority in here.

I can see what's going on, I don't really need to be told who has the ball and what they do with it on TV, I'd rather know what's going on further up the field, what options does the player have on for instance?

Radio on the other hand, paint the picture, tell me who has the footy, where they are and what they do with it. BT for one (but not the only by any means) is a far better caller on radio than TV.

Some of the dead wood in the commentary box are solely there it seems to add meaningless drivel to the telecast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess I don't watch/listen to much UK broadcasting. But I've heard the tiresome and forced hyperbole of Peter Drury many times. He has a lovely voice and is an eloquent man, but he knows it and reaches too far too often.
As a Red Devil his voice still gives me a STAGGERING nightmare.

The Premier League set up is usually very good. One commentator and one special comments person. Unfortunately some of the special comments people are terrible, but the set up is right.

I can see what's going on, I don't really need to be told who has the ball and what they do with it on TV, I'd rather know what's going on further up the field, what options does the player have on for instance?

Ive always felt the game is shot from the wrong angle (base shot from wing).

The game, like Tennis, is played goal to goal (baseline to baseline) and should be viewed this way. We arent rugby league or soccer where all of the action can be put in the one frame - but even so soccer is played goal to goal. Even a small thing like watching a penalty shoot out or free kick is only just being changed to the view directly behind the person taking the shot. A shot from high on the wing in the stands is useless and I have no idea why they continue with it.

AFL should be shot with 3-4 cameras in the stands behind the goals to half back, and as much as possible show it from behind the person with the ball. All their options can be seen, as can defensive set ups and often most of ground is covered.

It is how the game is played.

Now that Ling is in the box fulltime on friday instead of the boundry my god he talks a lot. He talks and talks like he's delivering a Shakespeare monologue at times. I'm not even judging if what he says is accurate or not it all sounds the same to me he just talks much

Now that Ling is in the box fulltime on friday instead of the boundry my god he talks a lot. He talks and talks like he's delivering a Shakespeare monologue at times. I'm not even judging if what he says is accurate or not it all sounds the same to me he just talks much
He talks a lot alright. He talks a lot of s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back