Too Tough To Die - Footscray's 1989 Fightback Book

Remove this Banner Ad

On the book, I can't remember if I mentioned this earlier, but for a few years after 1990, there used to be a Thursday night function at the club, the Selectors' table or something like that, where they'd read out the team, and you'd have some senior players there, the pres, sometimes the coach, etc.

Anyway, my memory of this do is that they used to read an excerpt from the book every Thursday night, a bit like reading a passage out of the holy book or something.

I'm not sure when they stopped it, but at some point, it would have seemed a bit corny to continue doing it.

I just remembered that some radio personalities used to host it - remember there was an old radio bloke called Tommy Laffy or something like that?

One night, it was his birthday, he was like 80 years old or something like that, and Kevin Sheedy actually dropped by to pay his respects, said a few words, it was a really nice gesture.

He's ok Sheeds.

They were quite fun nights - I wonder if the club still does something similar?

Allan can you add anything to this great story and where can people can get a copy of your book?your bedroom?i am sure that people would be interested in the movie and the the actors cast to play them?

Allan can you add anything to this great story and where can people can get a copy of your book?your bedroom?i am sure that people would be interested in the movie and the the actors cast to play them?
Movie??

Hello again, especially to those of you who offered their thoughts concerning the book and the fightback itself. Thanks for the generous compliments.

Regarding availability of Too Tough To Die: I'm basically in the same boat as everybody else. I have three copies home, two of them from deceased relatives! Apart from the ideas above (ebay,etc) I cannot think any other sources.

The book had a print run of 5000 and many of them were sold in 1990. I honestly can't think of anybody from that time who may have multiple copies lying around.

As for a reprint, well that would be up to the present Board. I suppose if there were a big enough demand it may be possible but I imagine it would be costly and therefore maybe a bit unrealistic. Who knows.

As for a movie,there was a push from a guy in Sydney, a real Doggies stalwart, who wrote a script for a movie based on the book back in 2002. He started trying to line up backers, film corporations, and so on. It got to to the stage of us authors signing contracts for rights etc, but it never really got off the ground. We certainly had a lot of fun thinking of which actors could portray the main characters though.

Barkly St End, you are dead right about the old Selectors' Table Thursday nights. It really got off the ground when Harry Beitzel, number one caller at 3AW for many years, got involved and turned it into a big weekly event.
There were over 400 people there one night. Harry's offsider, Tommy Lahiff, a great old bloke who was Port Melbourne captain-coach back in the bad old days, was indeed part of the nights you refer to. Harry, Smokey Dawson, Ian 'The Captain' Major, and quite a few other well-known identities from the time called Footscray games for the local community radio station 3WRB. Tommy was the down-in-the-rooms man and loved by every one who knew him. He refused to interview Malcolm Fraser on 3AW one game because he was a Liberal! As well, a lot of current sports journos got their first chance to call on air on Harry's invitation. They included Eddie McGuire, Tony Schibeci, and Dan Lonergan.

And I do remember that particular night when Kevin Sheedy came, suited-up, to celebrate Tommy's birthday. Tommy was the only journo allowed into the Essendon rooms after some games I am told.

And, yes, there was was a 'reading from The Book' every week.

That's about all for now. I will keep the forum posted on news, if any, of a reprint.

On the book, I can't remember if I mentioned this earlier, but for a few years after 1990, there used to be a Thursday night function at the club, the Selectors' table or something like that, where they'd read out the team, and you'd have some senior players there, the pres, sometimes the coach, etc.

Anyway, my memory of this do is that they used to read an excerpt from the book every Thursday night, a bit like reading a passage out of the holy book or something.

I'm not sure when they stopped it, but at some point, it would have seemed a bit corny to continue doing it.

I just remembered that some radio personalities used to host it - remember there was an old radio bloke called Tommy Laffy or something like that?

One night, it was his birthday, he was like 80 years old or something like that, and Kevin Sheedy actually dropped by to pay his respects, said a few words, it was a really nice gesture.

He's ok Sheeds.

They were quite fun nights - I wonder if the club still does something similar?
Awwww.. that story made me cry !

Hello again, especially to those of you who offered their thoughts concerning the book and the fightback itself. Thanks for the generous compliments.

Regarding availability of Too Tough To Die: I'm basically in the same boat as everybody else. I have three copies home, two of them from deceased relatives! Apart from the ideas above (ebay,etc) I cannot think any other sources.

The book had a print run of 5000 and many of them were sold in 1990. I honestly can't think of anybody from that time who may have multiple copies lying around.

As for a reprint, well that would be up to the present Board. I suppose if there were a big enough demand it may be possible but I imagine it would be costly and therefore maybe a bit unrealistic. Who knows.

As for a movie,there was a push from a guy in Sydney, a real Doggies stalwart, who wrote a script for a movie based on the book back in 2002. He started trying to line up backers, film corporations, and so on. It got to to the stage of us authors signing contracts for rights etc, but it never really got off the ground. We certainly had a lot of fun thinking of which actors could portray the main characters though.

Barkly St End, you are dead right about the old Selectors' Table Thursday nights. It really got off the ground when Harry Beitzel, number one caller at 3AW for many years, got involved and turned it into a big weekly event.
There were over 400 people there one night. Harry's offsider, Tommy Lahiff, a great old bloke who was Port Melbourne captain-coach back in the bad old days, was indeed part of the nights you refer to. Harry, Smokey Dawson, Ian 'The Captain' Major, and quite a few other well-known identities from the time called Footscray games for the local community radio station 3WRB. Tommy was the down-in-the-rooms man and loved by every one who knew him. He refused to interview Malcolm Fraser on 3AW one game because he was a Liberal! As well, a lot of current sports journos got their first chance to call on air on Harry's invitation. They included Eddie McGuire, Tony Schibeci, and Dan Lonergan.

And I do remember that particular night when Kevin Sheedy came, suited-up, to celebrate Tommy's birthday. Tommy was the only journo allowed into the Essendon rooms after some games I am told.

That's about all for now. I will keep the forum posted on news, if any, of a reprint.
THANKS SO MUCH ALAN.. Again - love the book...

The fightback era was a good reminder for me not to take your club for granted. Had dropped off a bit but the shock of it and seeing EJ shedding tears at the VFL announcement shook me out of my apathetic slumber. Been a member ever since.

Good nights the selectors table think they stopped at the Whitten Oval when the redevelopment started. Went to Spotty / Kingy RSL (whatever happened to that place?) and died. About time it returned, why not at the Café at Whitten?

The early nights were hosted by Harry Beitzel and Tommy Lahiff from 3KZ who also started similar nights at Fitzroy when they were struggling. On their footy broadcasts, Tommy would get down to the rooms but was a bit hard of hearing "Tommy are you there Tommy...Tommy" followed a pause, then a bit later by "I'm here Harry" - classical. Anyone remember?

BTW, did Ross Oakley ever get merged into outer space?

Buck & Dogs till I die
thanks for filling in the gaps
I'm now quite embarassed that I couldn't remember Tommy's surname, he was such a legend, and I had completely forgotten about Ian Major's involvement
for those who don't know, Ian Major called games with Captain Blood for years and years on KZ
In those days, you were rapt if your team was on KZ because it meant a good, uninterrupted call (remembering that there was no live TV back then)
Captain Blood was a beauty - he'd disagree with half the ump's calls, and just say: oohhhh, ump - if you don't mind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buck, My wife and I are involved somewhat in the broad 'Book' industry. there are several way you can go about it. Assuming you own the rights still. Createspace.com will allow you to publish prints yourself, on demand, and is i think your best bet. TitanKorp For which my wife is lead illustrator will soon be expanding into print but for now just do eBooks. But you can use Amazon, TitanKorp, Smashwords and any number of online facilities to self publish via ebook, Epub, Kindle and what not. Amazon working through create space prints on demand also. There is not limit, it is available and people purchase, and you get money, we get the book. Pretty simple really.

Just throwing it out there. if you find it all a bit too much, confusing what ever, shoot me off a PM and i'll find a way to give you a leg up.

Buck, My wife and I are involved somewhat in the broad 'Book' industry. there are several way you can go about it. Assuming you own the rights still. Createspace.com will allow you to publish prints yourself, on demand, and is i think your best bet. TitanKorp For which my wife is lead illustrator will soon be expanding into print but for now just do eBooks. But you can use Amazon, TitanKorp, Smashwords and any number of online facilities to self publish via ebook, Epub, Kindle and what not. Amazon working through create space prints on demand also. There is not limit, it is available and people purchase, and you get money, we get the book. Pretty simple really.

Just throwing it out there. if you find it all a bit too much, confusing what ever, shoot me off a PM and i'll find a way to give you a leg up.

Good suggestion - definitely worthwhile exploring these e-publishing routes.

Yes, an excellent idea. I know people who publish this way. I reckon a lot of fans would be interested.

Plus there are many of the younger generation (no offence) who could do with a reminder that the club needs their support via memberships more than ever. Those who refuse to buy memberships because the coach is a fool, or Bloggs wasn't selected this week, don't realise how their support could be the difference between life and death for the club.

I've got another memory from the selectors' table thursday night dinners.

Must have been the 1993 season, I made it to a few of the nights.

Super McPherson was part of the selectors' table - I can't remember whether he was still playing, or recently retired, and I'm not sure whether he was actually part of the selection committee or whether he just did this for a bit of fun.

Anyway, Jon Ballantyne was in and out of the team that year, as a full forward. I remember there was a lady who would always be first up to ask a question, especially if Ballantyne had been dropped or failed to get promoted from the reserves, and she'd absolutely rip into everyone. So got to the stage where the rest of the room would groan: oh no, not another question about Ballantyne!

A couple of years later, Ballantyne transferred to Collingwood and turned himself into a reasonable full back.

Buck. Maybe a reprint of this book could be included (inserted) into next years Bulldog Player Heritage Register Vol.II (Kevin and Evonne Meddings') book being compiled at the moment and to be sold by the club? Wouldn't take much to do it.

Read my copy of the book cover to cover again - love the story of the Collingwood supporter and his son who were there to fix the money-counting machine, and left saying that they might start barracking for Footscray - best part in the book about the fightback in my opinion.

I've got another memory from the selectors' table thursday night dinners.

Must have been the 1993 season, I made it to a few of the nights.

Super McPherson was part of the selectors' table - I can't remember whether he was still playing, or recently retired, and I'm not sure whether he was actually part of the selection committee or whether he just did this for a bit of fun.

Mentioning this story about Super McPherson reminds me of a game.

Everyone might recall that in 1991 we held Carlton to a solitary goal on a wet, muddy Western Oval. They scored that goal from an arsey snap from the boundary in time on of the last quarter!

Anyway, the following week we hosted Sydney at the Western Oval, in identical conditions, and I was hoping we might keep the swans to a very low score that day.

Close to three quarter time, it's all going to script, we're leading 5 goals to 2, but either side of the break, Swans score unasnwered goals out of nothing and all of a sudden they lead.

It's late in the last quarter, we can't score anything, no one can get a decent possession, and we're trailing by a point.

There was a boundary throw-in, just in front of us in the EJ Whitten stand, and Super grabs the ball somehow, either straight from the throw in, or a tap or a handball, and from about 55m out he goes the torp.

It was a bit of a mongrel, but he scrounges a point to salvage the draw, not a bad effort considering the ball would have weighed like lead at that point in the game.

I was at the Carlton game, with a bunch of Carlton supporters :).

Was there too. There was an almighty groan in front of the EJ stand when the cheap free was paid to Mark Athorn (?) and they kicked that goal with about 5 minutes to go. Siren went and it felt like a loss.

In terms of the book, I also have a VHS copy of the video "Every Dog Has Its Day" brought out just after the fightback. Anyone remember the tear jerking video with the great Paul Kelly singing on it?

Was there too. There was an almighty groan in front of the EJ stand when the cheap free was paid to Mark Athorn (?) and they kicked that goal with about 5 minutes to go. Siren went and it felt like a loss.

In terms of the book, I also have a VHS copy of the video "Every Dog Has Its Day" brought out just after the fightback. Anyone remember the tear jerking video with the great Paul Kelly singing on it?

I must still have that video somewhere - but who has a video player these days??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back