Toovey needs to be dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

My two cents.

Something had to give eventually on the number of purely defensive types in our back line. IMO if you have full control of developing a back 6 you carry 1, then 2 on a horses for courses basis and 3 if you have limited options.

We've gone with 3, pending fitness, in our first 20 Games this year and then in true Collingwood match committee fashion we drop two of the same type at once! A snapshot of 2015's melon scratchers are v Sydney we dropped two back flankers when playing at the SCG, v Hawthorn we went with two debutants, dropping White v Melbourne then allowing Moore to be the one and only KPF and v Port we go with talls galore in the wet.

Obviously I think it's for the best moving forward plus I'm not keen to dance on Toovey's, but what is with the match committee going with extremes? Sure we might be experimenting with the mix so the question is why now with the season in its death throws? So much of it doesn't add up to me.

Can we not delight in Collingwood players being dropped.
So you're pleased he's been playing poorly?
Short memories?

Well he has been putrid for 2 years, once upon a time he might have been a valuable player. But for at least 2 years, probably being generous there, he has been a liability with disposal and defending small forwards.

Bloke who kicks as bad as him doesn't deserve to play AFL.
Yeah rested for the finals.
Well, given we've been leaking goals for nearly 2 months, then nothing would technically change from that perspective. But at least now there should be far less butchering of the ball coming from back there.
It was the right call to drop Toovey.

I think if you have 4 or 5 defenders with good skill then Toovey would be a great player. But these days, you can't carry too many people in your team who can't use the ball. We already have too many in our backline. Unfortunately Toovey is the one who has to make way as we have a lot of kids with good skills who can replace him, and we need to pump games into them now when nothing is on the line.
We should rest Toovey more often, I mean #droptooveymoreoften #looktothefuture #playerswithfootskills #ballmovement #rhino #iceberg #theroadrunner #rama #itstime #Gopies

I guess your against alcohol as well?

Hangover will be worth it
Change the thread tital to Toovey rested (#dropped) and now a sub ;)

If we are serious about list management, we need to move Tooves on.
He is not for us any more ( or probably anyone else for that matter).
His deficiencies have been masked throughout his career because he has been able to wear opponents like a glove. He has since lost this. His speed has dropped a yard which is evident now and injuries have hurt him. His kicking and decision making are the worst of any player in the comp. How can we be a quality transition side of the ball if we give him the ball to kick and make the right decisions?
There's no spot for this type of defender any more in the game. He needs to be able to be part of chains of attack and be threat.

Ramsay will be back next season.
Sinclair who is maligned is a better option than Toovey.
Scharenberg will be regular.
Maynard and Williams.

His time is over.

If we are serious about list management, we need to move Tooves on.
He is not for us any more ( or probably anyone else for that matter).
His deficiencies have been masked throughout his career because he has been able to wear opponents like a glove. He has since lost this. His speed has dropped a yard which is evident now and injuries have hurt him. His kicking and decision making are the worst of any player in the comp. How can we be a quality transition side of the ball if we give him the ball to kick and make the right decisions?
There's no spot for this type of defender any more in the game. He needs to be able to be part of chains of attack and be threat.

Ramsay will be back next season.
Sinclair who is maligned is a better option than Toovey.
Scharenberg will be regular.
Maynard and Williams.

His time is over.
Can't see any of those mentioned players doing the job on someone like Darling. I think an injury interrupted year has dulled a few memories!

Calls to move Toovey on are pretty silly in my opinion.

I don't rate him as top 22 anymore, but I think he is important depth given the age of our backline. The only 2 with experience are Reid and brown, and both are injury prone.

Toovey and Goldsack are the 2 who I think are on the fringe, but will be needed at times.

Both can play tall or small so are very handy backups.

However, if we are to progress then I expect the likes of Goldsack and Toovey will follow a similar path to young and Dwyer this year who were top 22 entering the year but got taken over by youth

Can't see any of those mentioned players doing the job on someone like Darling. I think an injury interrupted year has dulled a few memories!

So we keep him around just so he plays on Darling once a year?

I think Marsh has the height, size and speed to play on someone like Darling.

Toovey will play the entire 2016 in the VFL barring some injury crisis to guys like Maynard Scharenberg Williams Langdon Marsh Goldsack Sinclair Ramsay...

I thought that Bucks made a good decision to take into account the concerns of BF and compromise by playing Toovs as a sub.... It shows how much he takes the advice of this forum. Well done bucks!

I thought that Bucks made a good decision to take into account the concerns of BF and compromise by playing Toovs as a sub.... It shows how much he takes the advice of this forum. Well done bucks!

He must of read my post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calls to move Toovey on are pretty silly in my opinion.

I don't rate him as top 22 anymore, but I think he is important depth given the age of our backline. The only 2 with experience are Reid and brown, and both are injury prone.

Toovey and Goldsack are the 2 who I think are on the fringe, but will be needed at times.

Both can play tall or small so are very handy backups.

However, if we are to progress then I expect the likes of Goldsack and Toovey will follow a similar path to young and Dwyer this year who were top 22 entering the year but got taken over by youth
I think that one thing that Goldsack brings is his attack on the footy and he really sets an example for the kids. although clearly not attributed to one player losing Goldsack in the 2nd half of the season didn't help our win / loss ratio

Pies won't move forward with Toovey in the team he is a liability people need to open their eyes
A long wait coming for tooves for next year if he plays

I have no real issue keeping him as a VFL depth player. I just don't want him being the automatic selection he has been this year, which was ridiculous when Marsh was wasting away in the VFL and had an almost immediate impact upon playing. Marsh is clearly the Toovey replacement in my opinion. Genuine pace to go with his 190cm plus height, so should be able to play both tall and medium/small.

Pies won't move forward with Toovey in the team he is a liability people need to open their eyes
Looks like Toovey is dropped again this week BEEG. #tosoon?

I have no real issue keeping him as a VFL depth player. I just don't want him being the automatic selection he has been this year, which was ridiculous when Marsh was wasting away in the VFL and had an almost immediate impact upon playing. Marsh is clearly the Toovey replacement in my opinion. Genuine pace to go with his 190cm plus height, so should be able to play both tall and medium/small.
Yeah, i kind of agree with this. But, Toovey can be a very handy backline player when fit and firing, so should be given every chance to grab a spot this season and not simply put to the VFL pasture to give games to younger guys. For me the key thing is for everybody on the list to earn their spot ~ that way the competition for a guernsey helps the whole team. And Toovey's experience should not be tossed away too easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back