Scores and rankings Top 10 Teams - Analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the "count" for the top 100 most popular SC players.

I've collated the teams all the way to #49, I stopped with our very own raymagoo

My defensive make up of Burgoyne, McIntosh, Ibbotson, Pittard, Hamling and Whitecross -- with Oxley and McKenzie + Hodge and Saad in the middle is veeeery strange and doesn't fill me with confidence.

I should probably get Shaw and McDonald in asap.

I'm surprised that McDonald was only in 14 teams.

Sharing the data with you all as I think the discussion will offer more value than the data.

The players below are listed in order of SC popularity -- that in itself will offer you some insight.

View attachment 136567

No-one has stef martin?

I've collated the teams all the way to #49, I stopped with our very own raymagoo

My defensive make up of Burgoyne, McIntosh, Ibbotson, Pittard, Hamling and Whitecross -- with Oxley and McKenzie + Hodge and Saad in the middle is veeeery strange and doesn't fill me with confidence.

Sharing the data with you all as I think the discussion will offer more value than the data.

The players below are listed in order of SC popularity -- that in itself will offer you some insight.

View attachment 136567

No Picken?

Many of them have had loophole (zero scoring) players on each line. These players have been handy in getting big scores but I think they will become less relevant as we all get to a more premium playing group. This is except for keeping one for say a Captains loophole. These players have earned no cash for them and as such the team values are down. I know personally I have higher team value than all but two of the top 10 teams. This should mean we have more cash to spend on the premiums come the Byes.
These non scoring players also offer little in the way of downgrading as as rule they will be purely sideways trades or stuck on bench all season. They are also risking donuts with so many of these players.

This is an interesting strategy that I think might have gained traction this year - seeing a bit more of it in some of the leagues I'm in than before. I'd be curious to see full season comparison between the two strategies, as the party line for the longest time has seemed to be make as much money as fast as possible early, even if it means having iffy players on your bench to make a few bucks. Is foregoing 100k from a rookie worth it to shore up your scoring over two or three rounds with a non-playing bench guy who can allow you to flex in a good score from early in the round?

View attachment 136567
Good work!

I'm happy & surprised to see that I have quite a few premo PODS in that group.

Yep, will be my 3rd year next year and I think I'll be going pure premo / rookies unless I'm absolutely dead sure on the mid-pricer ie. Higgins last year, Jong this year. They're just not worth it otherwise. Newnes & Goodes so frustrating this year.

I feel like "mid-pricer" is a hard term to quantify. Yes, Goodes is an SC turd (that's generally what a rookie-listed 30-year-old will be), but he only cost you 30k more than Patty McCartin would've cost. Is he truly a mid-pricer, or is he a rookie-pricer with a slight track record? To me, mid-pricer implies being well above a rookie pricer - Jong maybe qualifies, but Higgins and Goodes at 250k those years? Not sure.

Do guys like Bonts, Blicavs, Yeo, Laird, and Pittard count as mid-pricers? They all came into the season cheaper than Newnes, and all are now considered quality contributors. Neale started off only 30k more, and he's now a must-have for a lot of players.

Picking the right mid-pricers can certainly work. Going full premo/rookie is too restrictive.

I feel like "mid-pricer" is a hard term to quantify. Yes, Goodes is an SC turd (that's generally what a rookie-listed 30-year-old will be), but he only cost you 30k more than Patty McCartin would've cost. Is he truly a mid-pricer, or is he a rookie-pricer with a slight track record? To me, mid-pricer implies being well above a rookie pricer - Jong maybe qualifies, but Higgins and Goodes at 250k those years? Not sure.

Do guys like Bonts, Blicavs, Yeo, Laird, and Pittard count as mid-pricers? They all came into the season cheaper than Newnes, and all are now considered quality contributors. Neale started off only 30k more, and he's now a must-have for a lot of players.

Picking the right mid-pricers can certainly work. Going full premo/rookie is too restrictive.

Yeah touch call on what a mid priced is! I myself would classify any playing non rookie under 400k.

View attachment 136567

So NicNat is the reason im not in the top 100

Lines on approaching it like that make it somewhat blurred, I reckon.

What will Libba's price be next year?
No idea what Libba will be next year. Blokes coming back from ACL's now are a huge worry with the AFL demands and rigours today.
Seeing your Morabito & Menzels of the world really struggle to rebuild the strength in the knee to get back to it.

Fingers crossed they all make it back to their best one day.

I did my ACL and had a reco 3 months ago, rehab is a slow, painful process and pretty lonely place.
I can't imagine going through 3-4 reco's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea what Libba will be next year. Blokes coming back from ACL's now are a huge worry with the AFL demands and rigours today.
Seeing your Morabito & Menzels of the world really struggle to rebuild the strength in the knee to get back to it.

Fingers crossed they all make it back to their best one day.

I did my ACL and had a reco 3 months ago, rehab is a slow, painful process and pretty lonely place.
I can't imagine going through 3-4 reco's.

My point was a price can sometimes distort a players true worth/value.

Libba, I've seen quoted, could be priced at 400k-450k next year - if he has a solid preseason & NAB, he'll go 60%+ ownership to start 2016.

Occasionally you'll get a premium* player priced at a mid-pricers cost (ie Sandi 2014).

It's also the reason why Krak, Clark & Tarrant have been great this year - they aren't really 'rookies', just mid-pricers who were priced as rookies.

I've right royally screwed it this year, but looking for value in what someone costs & what they can deliver is where you can get ahead big-time in this game.

In essence, for me, a mid-pricer is someone who is neither a rookie nor a premium - usually indicated by cost, but not always.

View attachment 136567

Big jump on Tom Mitchell.

Maric R2 of choice.

Maric R2 of choice.

Hmm, makes me not want to pick him if most of the teams ahead of me have him, it's not going to help me bridge the gap bringing in the same players.

Maric R2 of choice.

Why wouldn't you, at 405K he was a bargain considering what he can do. is due for a down score soon, and when he does, everyone that didn;t take him will claim he was a flash in the pan.

He will be good this year, only thing that will stop him is Horse.

My point was a price can sometimes distort a players true worth/value.

Libba, I've seen quoted, could be priced at 400k-450k next year - if he has a solid preseason & NAB, he'll go 60%+ ownership to start 2016.

Occasionally you'll get a premium* player priced at a mid-pricers cost (ie Sandi 2014).

It's also the reason why Krak, Clark & Tarrant have been great this year - they aren't really 'rookies', just mid-pricers who were priced as rookies.

I've right royally screwed it this year, but looking for value in what someone costs & what they can deliver is where you can get ahead big-time in this game.

In essence, for me, a mid-pricer is someone who is neither a rookie nor a premium - usually indicated by cost, but not always.
Of course you will sometimes get good value players that are worth more due to factors such as injury etc. It doesn't change their status.

If Libba is $300k next year, he is still a mid pricer at the years beginning for me, because he is priced at that value..

Bigfooty is a bit of an SC Trap for most of us...
Everyone listens to each other and follows each others ideas and concepts around players and structure etc., so everyones teams feel pretty similiar for the most part.

Outside of the bonafied guns... Rookies, C Choice, value for money & the POD's are where the difference is made up.
Yeah and no - my two BF affiliated leagues are top 150.

Some of us have put a bit of thought and work into this thread, would be nice to follow it though the season without to much crap on it.
Your analysis (post #77) can essentially be surmised with what has been stated already in one sentence. The blokes at the top have been lucky with injury/rookie scores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your analysis (post #77) can essentially be surmised with what has been stated already in one sentence. The blokes at the top have been lucky with injury/rookie scores/mid priced selections.

EFA.

I do think this thread would be interesting to re-visit after the byes, when all the players that went for loophole options instead of cash generations, and those that traded well start to separate from the pack.

EFA.

I do think this thread would be interesting to re-visit after the byes, when all the players that went for loophole options instead of cash generations, and those that traded well start to separate from the pack.
The vast majority of mid-priced selections (and nearly all of the popular ones during the preseason) have not worked out and I would be very surprised if any of the frontrunners started with the ones that have (McDonald, Blicavs). What could have worked in their favour is an early correction trade to these mid-pricers.

The vast majority of mid-priced selections (and nearly all of the popular ones during the preseason) have not worked out and I would be very surprised if any of the frontrunners started with the ones that have (McDonald, Blicavs). What could have worked in their favour is an early correction trade to these mid-pricers.

I'd be surprised if anyone started with McDonald, that guy came out of no where.

The ones im refferring too are those take just came out on top of a 50/50, like those who took Houli, Doc, Laird, Pittard, Pearce, Yeo, Thurlow, Roberton over Newnes and Prince.

or

Neale, Steven, Mitchell, Sheil over Swallow.

or

Anyone over Hibberd

Your analysis (post #77) can essentially be surmised with what has been stated already in one sentence. The blokes at the top have been lucky with injury/rookie scores.

Well when I started this thread I had planned to follow how the top 10 changed over the season but as you don't find my idea very helpful or insightful then maybe its not worth it and it would be better to discuss basketball games.

Nah I think I will go with my original plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back