Opinion Top 20 of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss >>> Buckley

The Distributer you need to move on... and crawl out of that 2002 - 2003 anti-Brisbane lions hole you seem to still live in.

Buckley played more time in the midfield than Voss as Brisbane had a far better mid than the pies... of course meaning Buckley spent all day following the ball. Therefore Buckley's 2003 stats are inflated compared for Voss's;).

Buckley "would have struggled to get a game" at the lions in 01,02,03.

Pull the Collingwood poll out would you.

And who copped the no1 tag (when taggers actually tagged) whilst Bucks was playing at Collingwood?, who copped it at the Lions when Voss was playing? Lappin? Aker? Black? lol, Buckley would have struggled to get a game in the Lions team? Norm smith says hi.

And who copped the no1 tag (when taggers actually tagged) whilst Bucks was playing at Collingwood?, who copped it at the Lions when Voss was playing? Lappin? Aker? Black? lol, Buckley would have struggled to get a game in the Lions team? Norm smith says hi.

Everyone knows who really deserves that medal. All except collingwood folk that is. Changed the rules after that GF because of what happen that day. That says something about Buckleys tainted norm smith...

Whats tagging got to do with it ? Quality players beat tags 95% of the time. The fact that Voss still stands out over those other three "greats" says something about vossy as a player.

Voss didn't need a 28 plus disposal game to be best on ground. Buckley did. Voss would be just as damaging with 18 as buckley would be with 28. The fact that vossy won so many awards averaging around 22 a game is proof of that.

If some how buckley got traded to lions from 01-04 he would be a bench player. No way he'd remove Lappin,Voss, Black, Akka out of the midfield.

Also does the fact the lions had more money in the salary cap mean they weren't AFL players ??? Doesn't matter how much they got paid. Still one of the greatest sides to have played. Or do you say Brisbane Roars acheivements are up there with Bayern Munich's and Man City's this year since they can pay everyone more than other clubs ??? No, Man City would rape Brisbane. Your Salary Cap benifits argument is rediculous... Doesn't change the names that where in the team during 01,02,03,04...

I guess this is where you say you know better then what the AFL commission decided...

Everyone knows who really deserves that medal. All except collingwood folk that is. Changed the rules after that GF because of what happen that day. That says something about Buckleys tainted norm smith...

Whats tagging got to do with it ? Quality players beat tags 95% of the time. The fact that Voss still stands out over those other three "greats" says something about vossy as a player.

Voss didn't need a 28 plus disposal game to be best on ground. Buckley did. Voss would be just as damaging with 18 as buckley would be with 28. The fact that vossy won so many awards averaging around 22 a game is proof of that.

If some how buckley got traded to lions from 01-04 he would be a bench player. No way he'd remove Lappin,Voss, Black, Akka out of the midfield.

Also does the fact the lions had more money in the salary cap mean they weren't AFL players ??? Doesn't matter how much they got paid. Still one of the greatest sides to have played. Or do you say Brisbane Roars acheivements are up there with Bayern Munich's and Man City's this year since they can pay everyone more than other clubs ??? No, Man City would rape Brisbane. Your Salary Cap benifits argument is rediculous... Doesn't change the names that where in the team during 01,02,03,04...

I guess this is where you say you know better then what the AFL commission decided...

Buckley would struggle to get a game in the lions 2001-2003 team. :eek:

Tom Rockliff for brownlow. :eek:

You're 'rediculous', you're ridiculous as well. :thumbsu:

Oh, and salary cap aside, did you forget you got to pick the eyes out of a folding club? lol

Gary Ablett Sr.

Leigh Matthews

Wayne Carey

Bob Skilton

Royce Hart

John Coleman

Polly Farmer

Peter Hudson

Tony Lockett

Hayden Bunton

James Hird

Darrel Baldock

Greg Williams

Malcolm Blight

Ted Whitten

Francis Bourke

Bruce Doull

Gary Ablett Jr

John Nicholls

Doug Hawkins

Peter Daicos

At lot of early era players I can't comment on.

Gary Ablett Sr.

Leigh Matthews

Wayne Carey

Bob Skilton

Royce Hart

John Coleman

Polly Farmer

Peter Hudson

Tony Lockett

Hayden Bunton

James Hird

Darrel Baldock

Greg Williams

Malcolm Blight

Ted Whitten

Francis Bourke

Bruce Doull

Gary Ablett Jr

John Nicholls

Doug Hawkins

Peter Daicos

I like it.

Fair enough if you think that Voss is better than Buckley, but to say that Buckley wouldn't get a game for Brisbane is ridiculously biased. Buckley was a brilliant field kick, could hit a target from 60 metres, and was good for 30+ possessions, don't know how you can argue he wasn't damaging.

Gary Ablett Sr.

Leigh Matthews

Wayne Carey

Bob Skilton

Royce Hart

John Coleman

Polly Farmer

Peter Hudson

Tony Lockett

Hayden Bunton

James Hird

Darrel Baldock

Greg Williams

Malcolm Blight

Ted Whitten

Francis Bourke

Bruce Doull

Gary Ablett Jr

John Nicholls

Doug Hawkins

Peter Daicos

You wouldn't have been old enough to see half of those players so how do come to this conclusion.

Oops! You let the fanboi out of the bag. Seriously, I liked Voss more than Buckley as a player. I liked the Lions a hell of a lot more than I like the Magpies. But IMO Buckley was a marginally better player than Voss and would have been your No.1 mid. Sorry!

Buckley would struggle to get a game in the lions 2001-2003 team. :eek:

Tom Rockliff for brownlow. :eek:

You're 'rediculous', you're ridiculous as well. :thumbsu:

Oh, and salary cap aside, did you forget you got to pick the eyes out of a folding club? lol

Wow! Resorting to talk about my Rockliff coment:eek: Seriously... one word "hyperbole".

Buckley coment about him not getting a game and being a bench player... Obviously just a provocative coment to rile you up;) I take it back. Buckley would certainly find a place in lions midfield comfortably. He is one of the greats. IMO just not a great as Voss.

Again circumstances surrounding lions team doesn't change how good they were.

Anyway we wont change each others minds over this. One other thing I would say is Voss dragged the team over the line in the 02 GF. Buckley couldn't quite do it... Voss did. Without a doubt we wouldn't have won that game without Voss.

Did I read that right? Buckley wouldn't crack it into the Brisbane '01-'04 side? Clueless. :eek:

You dont know my age, do you?

I read a lot on sport history. That cool with you?

Don't understand how you can justify adding in greats because you read a lot of sport history, yet you leave out players like Barassi, Coventry, Dyer and Reynolds who are HoF legends, Team of the Century players and are well renowned as amongst the greatest ever.

Did I read that right? Buckley wouldn't crack it into the Brisbane '01-'04 side? Clueless. :eek:

could have a point when you think about it.
Like, where did Buckley play his best footy?

Lappin, Voss, Black, Akermanis was a pretty decent midfield. I'm sure he would have evolved on the wing or half forward flank but I doubt he'd be pushing one of those of those 4 boys aside as they were all truly out of this world in their prime.

could have a point when you think about it.
Like, where did Buckley play his best footy?

Lappin, Voss, Black, Akermanis was a pretty decent midfield. I'm sure he would have evolved on the wing or half forward flank but I doubt he'd be pushing one of those of those 4 boys aside as they were all truly out of this world in their prime.

He played his best footy where he was put, he could play CHB, HBF, wing, on ball, FWD, he could play inside/outside, he was a champion, was he better than Voss? not a lot in it IMO.

i'd probably take lenny hayes before both of them though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't understand how you can justify adding in greats because you read a lot of sport history, yet you leave out players like Barassi, Coventry, Dyer and Reynolds who are HoF legends, Team of the Century players and are well renowned as amongst the greatest ever.

If you want to be a finicky prick, cool.

When I sat down to write this, I didn't set out to make it comprehensive. It was pretty much off the top of my head. So I probably forgot a few players.

I would probably include Reynolds and Coventry in my list, possibly wouldn't include Barassi and Dyer.

You dont know my age, do you?

I read a lot on sport history. That cool with you?

Well it doesn't say Senior member under your username which indicates you're under 40 years of age.;)

To hard to do on players you've never seen play, might as well just troll through HOF inductees, starting with the Legends and work your way down. The records of the likes of Bunton Snr, Reynolds, Hutchison, Ken Farmer, Coventry etc speak for themselves.

I'll do one for who I've actually seen play, starting with a squad of players from each of the clubs then whittling down from that. (these are names that I've just come up with off the top of my head)

Adelaide - Modra, Ricciuto, McLeod
Brisbane - Voss, Akermanis
Carlton - Kernahan, Jesaulenko, Silvagni, Bradley, Southby
Collingwood - Peter Moore, Buckley, Len Thompson, Daicos, Richardson Brothers, Phil Carman
Essendon - Simon Madden, Terry Daniher, Hird, Dustin Fletcher, Paul Salmon
Fitzroy - Roos, Lynch, Pert, Quinlan, Gary Wilson
Footscray - Templeton, Hawkins, Grant
Fremantle - Pavlich
Geelong - Ablett Snr and Jnr, Scarlett, Hocking, Ian Nankervis
Hawthorn - Matthews, Hudson, Dunstall, Brereton, Kelvin Moore, Langford, Platten, Knights, Buddy, Terry Wallace, Ayres, Darren Jarman
Melbourne - Alves, Wells, Flower
North Melbourne - Greig, Blight, Dench, Carey, Cable, Schimma, Glendenning
Port Adelaide - Tredrea
Richmond - Rioli, Geoff Raines, Bartlett
St Kilda - Lockett
Sydney - Greg Williams, Graham Teasdale
West Coast Eagles - Matera, Mainwaring, Cousins, Judd, Cox

South Fremantle - Stephen Michael
Port Adelaide - Russell Ebert
Norwood - Garry McIntosh (couldn't help myself, was definitely a favourite)

In no particular order :

My top 5 are Ablett Snr, Carey, Williams, Matthews and Dunstall.

Blight, Dench, Peter Moore, Simon Madden, Scarlett, Hudson, Brereton, Carman, Voss, Judd, Ablett Jnr, Lockett, Gary Wilson, Templeton, Hird.

I was going to have Buckley in but couldn't see anyone to leave out of my list. Perhaps the other may have been Carman out for Kernahan in but Fabulous Phil was a very special talent.

There's a few I never saw at their absolute best ie Jesaulenko, Bartlett and Cable and the 3 from the WAFL / SANFL that I only ever saw in SOO.

The Voss V Buckley debate is terrible. Both great players and not a lot between them.

I lean towards Voss. His hardness and leadership was exceptional. The tag line is irrelevant - teams tag Stanton or Heppell over Watson - Watson is clearly superior. Voss like Watson by the way they play are virtually un-tagable. The call about Buckley not getting a game is ordinary as well as I have him above the other mids at Brisbane in their glory years.

Not sure why some resort to trying to drag a champion down to try and support an arguement. Agree to disagree - don't tip s**t on the greats of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back