Top 4 & Bottom 4 in 4 years time (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

We were a list in transition when Mick left a lot of the older blokes who were important in 2010 were on their last legs and needed to be replaced. Going in to the future we are better off with Bucks
Sounds to me like your off in lala land, most of your loses in terms of player depth have been directly caused by Buckleys poor man management skills

I have literally just realised what I have done. Good astute pick up. An over site on my behalf :oops:

Stupid expansion teams putting my senses off
I can understand you wanting to block out the idea that Scott Gumbleton ever existed. But does that mean ur giving Heppel up? ;)

Carlton have already gone backwards with Simpson the only possible declining player due to age, Judd & Carrots don't count given they missed 2014 anyway.

A lot will depend on the direction they take coaching wise at the end of 2015, if they extend malthouses contract we wont be bottom 4
Are you serious? Maulthouse is done, get rid of him asap or Carlton will be going no where soon.

The seven year rule (just made that up) suggests that at least one of the top four of any given season will finish in the bottom four 7 years later. In 1999, this happened to all four PFalists when they bottomed out in 2006, but it's happened in 2000-07 (2 teams, 1 stayed in the eight), 2001-08 (1, all out), 2003-10 (1), 2004-11 (2), with a couple of near misses since due to the addition of GC and GWS...

So in 2018, expect one or two of 2011 finalists Adelaide, Brisbane, Port or GC to be in the bottom four...

The same rule applies with top four teams only. In 2000-07, North was in the top four both times, and since then it's been 2002-09 (1), 2003-10 (1), 2004-11 (2), 2005-12 (2), 2006-13 (2) and 2007-14 (3 if you combine actual ladder position with PF placing)...

So in 2018, it's 2011 top four Coll, Geel, Haw and WC...pick any two...

I'll give you Ablett-less GC and Brisbane to be bottom four in 2018, and throw in Sydney and GWS (ouch, not a good look for expansion!), and WC and Collingwood for the top four, throwing in Port and Adelaide...

One thing is looking a little ominous though - the big teams seem to be cementing themselves up top...I can't see Collingwood bottoming out for long due to their immense resources, and I'm going against the Hawks only because of the age of the current list...things might be a bit awkward in a couple of years, but you wouldn't think for long...the SA and WA sides really have everything going for them at the moment, so this might be a great decade for their fans...and the sleeping giants like Carlton and Richmond only need a rocket up their arses...I'm not confident about the battlers though, no matter how good North's list or WB's promise is at the moment...and what looks good on paper right now in GC and GWS will fall away through natural attrition by 2018...a tough ask to fill those gaps...you don't tip against Geelong these days, but all of the golden era stars will be gone in 2018, and Sydney were delivered a crushing blow draft wise (plus I still believe they'll regret the big spending of the last couple of years if it doesn't deliver flags, because they've really rolled the hard six on that one)...anyway, ramblings...the 2yo has been happily watching ABC2 while these musings are going on...!

Teams tried to tag him but he just takes his tagger forward and kicks 3-4 goals on him.
Hmm he had a fantastic season in yr 8. the previous 7 have shown lots of promise and been decent.
one in 8 means i cant rate him an elite player just yet. elite players perform at the highest level yr in yr out.
hes going to have to, injuries permitting repeat this yr for the next couple.
i reckon every side in the comp are going to put a fair bit of work into robbie next yr. it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been thinking recently how ****ed we're going to be in 3-4 years when Mitchell/Hodge/Burgoyne retire.

But when I actually look at what our team will look like at the END of 2018 WITHOUT any free agent signings, good draft picks or development of the unknown youngsters (including the 2014 draft) I'm confident we won't be bottom 4.

Not premiership material, but I don't even reckon it's bottom half of the ladder stuff.

FB
Ben Stratton 29 - James Frawley 30 - Taylor Duryea 27
HB Angus Litherland 26 - Ryan Schoenmakers 28 - Grant Birchall 30

MID
Ben McEvoy 29 - Liam Shiels 27 - Will Langford 26
MID Brad Hill 25 - Jordan Lewis 31 - Isaac Smith 29

HF
Luke Breust 28 - Jack Gunston 27 - Jono O'Rourke 24
FF Cyril Rioli 29 - Jarryd Roughead 31 - Jed Anderson 24

INT Brendan Whitecross 28- Billy Hartung 23 - Jonathon Ceglar 27 - Matt Suckling 30

Known Depth
James Sicily 23
Paul Puopolo 31
Matt Spangher 31
Tim O'Brien 24
Jon Simpkin 31
Alex Woodward 25

Last edited:
Brisbane and Port have similar lists, just at different stages.

Brisbane are about 2 years behind. Will do them good to finish bottom 8 for next 2 years so they can stock up on highly talented defenders and forwards. Draft right and they will have a premiership worthy team for 2017 onwards.

Hmm he had a fantastic season in yr 8. the previous 7 have shown lots of promise and been decent.
one in 8 means i cant rate him an elite player just yet. elite players perform at the highest level yr in yr out.
hes going to have to, injuries permitting repeat this yr for the next couple.
i reckon every side in the comp are going to put a fair bit of work into robbie next yr. it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
It's the first time he's been able to put two almost uninterrupted seasons together in a row, that goes a long way to a player finding form.

Top 4 (No Particular Order)
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Sydney
GWS or GC (depending on which team loses the least talent)

Bottom 4 (No Particular Order)
North Melbourne
Fremantle
Geelong
Carlton

Heppell had more touches, more uncontested possessions and more contested possessions aswell has having more effective disposals but I will give you Gray with 0.3 more clearances. Yes he kicked more goals and had more assists but he plays Mid/Fwd, Heppell doesn't, Dyson had more rebound 50s, more marks and more tackles. Yes Robbie Gray had an elite year but he is not better than Dyson Heppell and with Gray being 4 years older I know who I would want in my side moving forward.
People seem to forget that Robbie Gray plays as more of a half forward flank with stints in the midfield. Of course he is gonna kick more goals than a true stay-at-home midfielder like Heppell.

Although in saying that, Gray had the better year. Heppell may turn out to be the better player at the end of their respective careers though. Gray is turning 27 and has had one good season to date. Meanwhile, Heppell has shown enough to suggest he will be a very good player for many years to come. I too know who I'd rather have on my team. (Heppell)

Top 4:
Gold Coast
North
Brisbane
Essendon (IF there are no significant penalties from the drug scandal)

Bottom 4:
Geelong
Adelaide
Carlton
Collingwood

In saying that, 4 years is four god damned years away. There'll be a few good thread bumps to be had in the 2018 season, I'm sure.

Top 4
Gold Coast
GWS
Port
Sydney

Bottom 4
Adelaide
Carlton
Freo
Melbourne

Top 4
North Melbourne
Bulldogs
Suns
cats

Bottom 4
Syd
Freo
Hawks
Adel
If you don't mind me asking, why do you guys think Adelaide will finish bottom 4? (srs question)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back