Top 4 qualifying final - lose week 1 and flag hopes gone

Remove this Banner Ad

History shows if you finish top 4 and lose the qualifying final week 1 you're gone.

There will be only two flag chances come Sunday first week Sept

Not necessarily. Of recent times, the top two have been clearly above third and fourth. Hence that outcome.

That ain't the case this year. You could make a case for any of the top four winning the flag and on that basis, I don't think that trend is safe this year.

Stats like this are useful, but are only indicative of what might happen. In a year where the top four are a bit closer there's no reason why a QF loser can't win.

If Freo beat Sydney in a QF, does Sydney have no chance against Geelong/Hawthorn at the MCG in a PF?
He is going under the assumption Sydney will win easily because they're that good and whoever loses Geelong/Hawthorn has to play Sydney in a Prelim Final in Sydney, whilst the winner will play Fremantle/Port at home in Melbourne.

Winners of this years qualifying finals' will more than likely play in the Grand Final.

Stats like this are useful, but are only indicative of what might happen. In a year where the top four are a bit closer there's no reason why a QF loser can't win.

If Freo beat Sydney in a QF, does Sydney have no chance against Geelong/Hawthorn at the MCG in a PF?

History shows Sydney in your example will be beaten yes

He is going under the assumption Sydney will win easily because they're that good and whoever loses Geelong/Hawthorn has to play Sydney in a Prelim Final in Sydney, whilst the winner will play Fremantle/Port at home in Melbourne.

Winners of this years qualifying finals' will more than likely play in the Grand Final.

Yeah, i understand that - but you can't say that any loser of a QF doesn't have a chance of winning the flag. If Sydney lose, which is not a stretch, then I reckon they would still be a good bet to make the GF and win a flag.

Yes, winners of the QFs are the most likely to make the GF - but the OP is "lose week 1 and flag hopes gone". That's just ******* nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

History shows Sydney in your example will be beaten yes

No it doesn't. Recent history suggests that they probably wouldn't, but their flag hopes wouldn't be gone.

Is it more probable that the winners of the QFs play the GF? Of course - week off, home advantage in PF etc. But it won't work out like that every year, and the years that will buck the trend are likely to be those where 3rd/4th are closer in form/quality to 1st/2nd.

Yeah, i understand that - but you can't say that any loser of a QF doesn't have a chance of winning the flag. If Sydney lose, which is not a stretch, then I reckon they would still be a good bet to make the GF and win a flag.

Yes, winners of the QFs are the most likely to make the GF - but the OP is "lose week 1 and flag hopes gone". That's just ******* nonsense.

Again history shows it is close to impossible

No it doesn't. Recent history suggests that they probably wouldn't, but their flag hopes wouldn't be gone.

Is it more probable that the winners of the QFs play the GF? Of course - week off, home advantage in PF etc. But it won't work out like that every year, and the years that will buck the trend are likely to be those where 3rd/4th are closer in form/quality to 1st/2nd.

Yes fair point etc etc but reality suggests week 1 QF losers cant win it

People talk abut elimination finals as do or die but that's small beer stuff, Reality is week 1 QF is the real cut throat

Yes fair point etc etc but reality suggests week 1 QF losers cant win it

People talk abut elimination finals as do or die but that's small beer stuff, Reality is week 1 QF is the real cut throat

I completely agree that the winners of the QFs win the PFs too - but I would be less confident of that assertion this year if, for instance, Geelong and Freo won the QFs. While any of the top 4 can win it, I think it would be more likely that the hawks/swans cause an upset in an interstate PF even against a fresh freo/geelong.

But it's all speculation. The hypothesis will be reinforced or undermined come PF weekend :)

OP sounds a lot like me at the start of 1998 when I declared that in the modern world of AFL football, no team would ever again win back to back premierships.

its all about averages. Simply put lose week one can't win flag.

Team will have to defy history to make it happen. Nothing subjective here

It is interesting though, all three teams which have made a GF after losing their QF went on to win the flag.

Shows you need great mental resilience to bounce back after losing in week 1, the three sides who have done it were all outstandingly focused and well drilled sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back