Top 8 locked in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said earlier (before everyone decided to call me a troll), the Bombers will not play finals this year. The other clubs in contention:

North: 10 wins, 8 losses, 109%
Essendon: 10 wins, 9 losses, 106%
Collingwood: 10 wins, 8 losses, 105%

Gold Coast: 10 wins, 8 losses, 99%
Adelaide: 9 wins, 9 losses, 106%
Richmond: 9 wins, 10 losses, 104%
West Coast: 8 wins, 10 losses, 108%

So three of these teams will make it. If West Coast get up on Sunday they are a big chance with their draw. If Collingwood win then they'll more or less lock up a spot and end West Coast's season. North are almost certainly home with their draw.

The race for 8th is between Adelaide, Richmond and the Gold Coast. The Adelaide-Richmond game next week will be huge in determining who makes it.

So we are still a game clear of you with a much easier draw and quality players returning next week yet we are out of the race?

How do you know? There has been 18 players added since 2012, of the 46 listed that year only 34 got SC notices. Seems there is a few spares...

You are wasting your time with him, biggest Essendon troll there is.

Last edited:

How do you know? There has been 18 players added since 2012, of the 46 listed that year only 34 got SC notices. Seems there is a few spares...

I suspect if that was the case, the AFL would dump them from finals...playing 9th again would be less of a problem for the 'integrity of the finals series' than allowing whatever was left of a clubs list to hobble together a team and then be thumped.

That said, I doubt that'll happen. By the time the process is done, with appeals, etc. it'll be too late for any action this season.

I suspect if that was the case, the AFL would dump them from finals...playing 9th again would be less of a problem for the 'integrity of the finals series' than allowing whatever was left of a clubs list to hobble together a team and then be thumped.

That said, I doubt that'll happen. By the time the process is done, with appeals, etc. it'll be too late for any action this season.

Dump them on what grounds? Just making it up as we go along now, perhaps we can scrap the ladder from now on and every club can bid and make a power point presentation on why they should be playing finals. :rolleyes:

Dump them on what grounds? Just making it up as we go along now, perhaps we can scrap the ladder from now on and every club can bid and make a power point presentation on why they should be playing finals. :rolleyes:

To prevent them 'Bringing the game into disrepute' by playing a substandard side. They can trot that excuse out for practically anything after all (except the stuff they do, which is far worse).

This season, more then any other year, the bottom half of the top 8 are just making up the numbers. I am happier with Carlton having a gap year and end up with a handy top 6 draft pick, then just finish 7th or 8th and bundled out of the finals in week one.

Just like how Melbourne is having a gap decade :confused:

If we get a decent run of injuries next season, esp if Kruezer can stay healthy, i see no reason why Carlton can't finish in the top 6.

We obviously need to close the baffling, inexplicable gap between our best and worst form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This season, more then any other year, the bottom half of the top 8 are just making up the numbers. I am happier with Carlton having a gap year and end up with a handy top 6 draft pick, then just finish 7th or 8th and bundled out of the finals in week one.
Give me 22 games of finals experience into the team over 2 or 3 draft places anyday. Sides need to learn what it takes to win in September. You dont learn that by not playing in it.

I am not surprised that a Carlton supporter has preference for draft picks instead of winning games of football. It's been a really great strategy for you guys over the years.

Collingwood have beaten us, north have beaten us, essendon have pushed us, ports almost beat us and would have beaten us last night if they could kick straight.

but sure just making up the numbers. one of the closest seasons in recent years.

So if the Crows win today, they are back in the 8? Lose and they are even with Richmond and set for a huge clash next week.

Richmond fans will be hoping for a Brisbane win today.

All the clubs from 7th to 12th will be hoping for a Brisbane win, can't see it happening though.

Horrible way to look at things, you should try and expose your team to as much finals footy as possible to increase their experience and motivation to achieve better next year. This builds a successful culture- look at Melbourne they were tanking and thinking that the draft pick will set them up and look where that got them?

To win a premiership, you need to start somewhere- you can't just expect to make the finals year 1 and win it..

Sydney pretty much locked in for top spot now unless Hawthorn beat Fremantle away and Geelong (both could happen, but they need to get % as well, which will be very tough against two great teams like that, plus Sydney have got an easy finish). Fremantle, Port Adelaide and North locked into 4th/5th/6th pretty much. Hawthorn/Geelong will be finish 2nd/3rd - order won't matter. They'll most likely be playing each other first week of finals.

So QFs will be Sydney V Fremantle and Hawthorn V Geelong

The race for 7th/8th will be interesting. Essendon/Collingwood/Richmond will want North in Melbourne because no travel plus chance of winning. But Richmond is still unlikely to make the 8 let alone 7th. Adelaide would want to finish 8th instead of 7th because no travel. Gold Coast will be happy just to make the 8 at this rate. Essendon and Collingwood seem the most likely for 7th/8th with their run home. But Essendon still have the ASADA cloud hanging over them, so who knows.

However with the current situation I can't see any of the Top 4 going out in straight sets. The loser of Gee/Haw won't luck into a Victorian away final and will have to travel to Perth or Sydney should they get through to the Preliminary finals. Not ideal at all for them.

Collingwood have beaten us, north have beaten us, essendon have pushed us, ports almost beat us and would have beaten us last night if they could kick straight.

but sure just making up the numbers. one of the closest seasons in recent years.

Do you honestly think any of those teams have a realistic chance of winning the flag ??

Sydney didn't have Buddy when they played Essendon, you put him back in that game, it would have been a ten goal plus belting.

It will be a long time before a team outside the top 8 wins the flag again, last time it happened was in 1998 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back