Top Tasmanian Draft Prospects for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, but which Jesse are we talking about??? Jesse Lonergan will go and high. But I thought some one brought up Jesse Wells. I remember up here on the coast a former coach of his, who shall remain nameless;), reminded many that Jesse was said to be the worst draft pick by the western Bulldogs... ever. It was a comment that apparently the people of the doggies said. Now this is harsh, however, I wouldn't have thought Wells was much of a mature age recruit. I wouldn't have him in my best team in Tas, let alone as the best bigman or even top 3 bigmen.

Laycock,Cassidy, Reynolds, Lee, Drury and so on... these are all versitile too. Wells probably didnt get put in the state team because he simply wasn't good enough. Although that selection was a debacle

Not sure if you're serious or not with this post? On his day, easily in the top3 players in the State: Laycock, Thurley and Wells. Spoke to NHFC coach who rates him as the best player in state, bit bias I know, but have to take into consideration that Springer has been apart of the AFLTas programs and would have relationships with the best Tasmanian players and know their games inside and out. Also Springer said that he has grown up a hell of a lot. Plus watched his draft video and seemed to play both back and forward, not sure how much more versatile you can get?? Would be a rough, but wouldn't count him out.

It would also being interesting to critique all the Tassie boys on AFL lists once the silly season (drafts) are over. Obviously Tassie have been savaged with the recent delistings and it would be an interesting exercise to see where they sit in the overall pecking order of clubs and AFL.

Yeah for sure. We need a new sub board in the TSL board or elsewhere dedicated to discussing Tasmanians in the AFL. I guess it could be done on the TSL board, but it is kind of off topic. Be nice to have our own area where we could post new threads and what not.

The delistings have been pretty brutal. Three fairly decent Tasmanians gone. I think Iles is easily the unluckiest. He should still be at GC, he's so much better than most on that list. Sherman is the most talented of the delistees. He was brilliant in his day, but his attitude let him down. And Lonergan probably just didn't quite cut it, but he always worked hard and gave 100%. I think any of those guys have a chance of making it back in to the system during the rookie draft. Each could add something to a team. Lonergan - hardness, Iles - good disposal and ball winning ability and run off half back, and Sherman - massive x factor, goal kicking, and run off half forward. Be really happy to see any of those three make it back on to a list.

I know springer has a good relationship with Wells. But what i heard North payed him this season was rubbish. No where near enough! How many players running around as versatile as he is? Get it right north. I have heard that he is in talks with a club in Victoria for a possible return with the vfl. Don't know if this is true. Can anyone confirm?

I know springer has a good relationship with Wells. But what i heard North payed him this season was rubbish. No where near enough! How many players running around as versatile as he is? Get it right north. I have heard that he is in talks with a club in Victoria for a possible return with the vfl. Don't know if this is true. Can anyone confirm?

Wells certainly is an imposing size for a footballer. I think he is best suited as a running backline player. Very tough and runs hard and straight and pretty good on his preferred side (no non preferred foot).

I would imagine that he would want to get his weight to the mid 90Kg's region and increase his endurance considerably.

Certainly a chance I think for a rookie.

It will be interesting if he stays in Tassie if he does not get drafted. Pretty sure he has a young child and partner, which always makes it a tough decision to move interstate.

Yes he would need to get down to 96 or 97 I would say. Seen him training at NHO doing some sprint work looks pretty lean at the moment. I didn't know he had a child. Doesn't seem like the fatherly type! I heard today that sandringham have spoken to him recently! Not good signs for north!

Yes he would need to get down to 96 or 97 I would say. Seen him training at NHO doing some sprint work looks pretty lean at the moment. I didn't know he had a child. Doesn't seem like the fatherly type! I heard today that sandringham have spoken to him recently! Not good signs for north!

I'm sure Poodle and Laura will be very interested to find out when they had this child???

Updated the OP with a write up for Toby Nankervis and one also for Jack Osborn, who was recruited to Adelaide.

Brady Jones, Jesse Wells, and Josh Woolley all should be added to the OP as well. If anyone wants to contribute a write up on those players, I'll add it to the OP. Otherwise, I will add it some time before Sunday. Want the OP to be finished prior to the draft. Also, if anyone wants me to add anything to the OP or if you have seen any mistakes, let me know and I'll update it. Cheers.

Updated the OP with a write up for Toby Nankervis and one also for Jack Osborn, who was recruited to Adelaide.

I'm told Jack Osborn played some junior footy at North Hobart but then 'dissapeared' into Basketball. I dont know anything about him accept that he is 6'9" so he is a big bugger, & that he played college basketball in the USA My Basketball mate says Jack can play but is a still a bit young & soft for the NBL where he thought he would be looking to go. Whether he can get fit & tough enough for AFL standard is a question. I guess professional training & playing in the SANFL system will give him the best chance of playing at the highest level. Again its just a pity that young talent has to leave the state to play in the AFL. Just another reason for having our own team. But that's for another thread:)

I'm told Jack Osborn played some junior footy at North Hobart but then 'dissapeared' into Basketball.

He was recruited into basketball after a massive growth spurt, apparently. He played footy until he was 17. He then went to America for four years. I have no idea about their college system or how good it is, but he played pretty well over there from what I have seen.

Not sure about softness, but we'll see how he develops. He got an awesome dunk at around 3:21 when his team mate missed a free throw and he got the rebound and dunked it in one motion. Pretty neat.

He was recruited into basketball after a massive growth spurt, apparently. He played footy until he was 17. He then went to America for four years. I have no idea about their college system or how good it is, but he played pretty well over there from what I have seen.

Not sure about softness, but we'll see how he develops. He got an awesome dunk at around 3:21 when his team mate missed a free throw and he got the rebound and dunked it in one motion. Pretty neat.

It says 6'10 or 209 cm, is pretty big! Good luck to him. Again its just a pity we lose all this talent & dont see anything come back this way.

lol good call. At least we are looking to be improving in the development area. Really, our state should be regularly producing first rounders. I am sure we would have been 20 years ago, and as we have seen with Tassie sport, this state can punch well above it's weight in any competition. Just not doing it at the moment with AFL.

Stoked to see that Lonergan got an invite to attend the national draft. Apparently only 17 prospects have been invited, and you'd think the AFL would have a fair indication that they would all be going pretty early before they sent the invites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As with most people I have read and re-read all the potential draftees by the "expert" and "amateur" scribes over the journey.

I am probably on my high horse but it amuses me how they have missed the major KPI's of Sam Siggins.

The kid is a KPP and had some very good results in the combine. It is the same old story of the smaller players hitting the ground running as opposed to the player who needs development.

Siggins apparently spoke to 17 clubs so obviously they are aware of him.

The tall KPP are very thin this draft and every club realises how difficult it is to find a good KPP. They realise they need to put time into these players if they are going to be able to replace their encumbent KPP's.

It is exactly the same scenario with Schade in last years draft. He went first round (24) to GCS after all the hype was on other players. Schade was recruited as a replacement for Bock. GCS realise Schade as a KPD needs time in the system and hence why he was recruited.

With all respect to Schade, some of the results of Siggins at the combine were significantly superior. Sure Siggins needs weight and obtain a bit more "pig", but this is what the recruiters realise they can obtain with a kid with the right attitude.

Generally most Tassie boys have a hard task of gaining media coverage as opposed to the mainland boys. But it will suprise and disappoint me if Siggins is not picked up somewhere in the 2-3 round.

Given an opportunity and the right club culture Siggins would be a good inverstment.

I am struggling to rate Siggins' chances. For me, he is not a definite.

Emma Quayle linked him to Collingwood:

"DRAFT DAY:... South Australian Tim O'Brien, a marking forward, and Tasmanian defenders Sam Siggins and Jackson Thurlow are three considerations, while the enigmatic, athletic Spencer White would be a left-field choice"

Imagine if they got Lonergan, Thurlow and Siggins :eek: I'd have to go from hating Collingwood, to having them be one of my favourite teams.

I am struggling to rate Siggins' chances. For me, he is not a definite.

Emma Quayle linked him to Collingwood:

"DRAFT DAY:... South Australian Tim O'Brien, a marking forward, and Tasmanian defenders Sam Siggins and Jackson Thurlow are three considerations, while the enigmatic, athletic Spencer White would be a left-field choice"

Imagine if they got Lonergan, Thurlow and Siggins :eek: I'd have to go from hating Collingwood, to having them be one of my favourite teams.

Hi Tazwegian

Admire your work but I couldn't go for Collingwood even if there were 22 Tasmanians in their side!! :)

Outside the top 30 players likely to be drafted i reckon a few "rated" players may not get picked up and a few "unrated" players will be picked up on the basis of filling a need in individual lists.

Bring on Thursday and we shall all be experts in hindsight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Tazwegian

Bring on Thursday and we shall all be experts in hindsight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, can't wait. I am taking the afternoon off work for it. I have caught the whole draft prospects fever, and the draft is the only good thing about pre-season. Bring it on!

Yep, can't wait. I am taking the afternoon off work for it. I have caught the whole draft prospects fever, and the draft is the only good thing about pre-season. Bring it on!

It will be interesting to see who gets Lonergan. Obviously he is going to go very high in draft list as he will be at the draft on the Gold Coast. Hopefully the right type of club gets him so his talents are showcased.

It will be interesting to see who gets Lonergan. Obviously he is going to go very high in draft list as he will be at the draft on the Gold Coast. Hopefully the right type of club gets him so his talents are showcased.

I'm really hoping Collingwood, Carlton or Richmond get him. I'd be stoked for GWS to get him, but it would be great if he could develop at a club like Collingwood.

As with most people I have read and re-read all the potential draftees by the "expert" and "amateur" scribes over the journey.

I am probably on my high horse but it amuses me how they have missed the major KPI's of Sam Siggins.

The kid is a KPP and had some very good results in the combine. It is the same old story of the smaller players hitting the ground running as opposed to the player who needs development.

Siggins apparently spoke to 17 clubs so obviously they are aware of him.

The tall KPP are very thin this draft and every club realises how difficult it is to find a good KPP. They realise they need to put time into these players if they are going to be able to replace their encumbent KPP's.

It is exactly the same scenario with Schade in last years draft. He went first round (24) to GCS after all the hype was on other players. Schade was recruited as a replacement for Bock. GCS realise Schade as a KPD needs time in the system and hence why he was recruited.

With all respect to Schade, some of the results of Siggins at the combine were significantly superior. Sure Siggins needs weight and obtain a bit more "pig", but this is what the recruiters realise they can obtain with a kid with the right attitude.

Generally most Tassie boys have a hard task of gaining media coverage as opposed to the mainland boys. But it will suprise and disappoint me if Siggins is not picked up somewhere in the 2-3 round.

Given an opportunity and the right club culture Siggins would be a good inverstment.

It appears that finally people are aware of the upside of Siggins, with Sydney (pick 46) and Brisbane (33) touted as potential teams that are interested.

Go you Tassie boys!

It appears that finally people are aware of the upside of Siggins, with Sydney (pick 46) and Brisbane (33) touted as potential teams that are interested.

Go you Tassie boys!

Good call, Gotassieboys. As you can see by my write up, I've been pretty keen on him too, but have just worried lately by the lack of talk about him, which made me think that his agility and pace may be a concern. Those are the only unknowns for me about Siggins' combine results, and was worried he did a bit of a Mihocek. Good to see him getting mentioned a bit now in relation to some second to third round picks. Eases my concerns about him a lot. Hoping to see him go sometimes in the second round, but don't mind as long as he gets drafted.

Bring on Thursday and what could be the biggest intake of Tasmanians (including the PSD and level 2 rookie draft) for quite some time. Three or four in the would be amazing. Hopefully North will pick up Woolley as well, who I have said for some time is one of our better mature age rookie prospects, and Wells could even get a look in.

Lonergan may even be our highest selection since 2006!

I am also pretty hopeful that Sam Lonergan and Sam Iles will be redrafted. Sherman a very outside chance with his mentality. Maybe he could do a comeback after paying his dues in the VFL for a year.

I am also pretty hopeful that Sam Lonergan and Sam Iles will be redrafted. Sherman a very outside chance with his mentality. Maybe he could do a comeback after paying his dues in the VFL for a year.

Fair call Tazwegian on all the boys.

IMO Drafts: Lonergan (1st round) , Siggins & Thurlow (2nd round), Hibberd (4-5 round-long odds)

Rookies: S Lonergan-GCS.

Final picks-I am now locked in!!

Fair call Tazwegian on all the boys.

IMO Drafts: Lonergan (1st round) , Siggins & Thurlow (2nd round), Hibberd (4-5 round-long odds)

Rookies: S Lonergan-GCS.

Final picks-I am now locked in!!

I'll go with:

J. Lonergan - 9-23
J. Thurlow 32-45
S. Siggins 35-70 (slight chance of non selection)
M. Van den Berg - 50+ (probable non selection)
J. Woolley - 50-Rookie

I'll make up my mind about the PSD in december.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back