We welcome to the Gold Coast, pick number 29

B3fU8nlCYAA6Evw.jpg

Position: Midfielder

Height: 177cm

Weight: 80kg

D.O.B: 22/02/96

Home State: Victoria

Plays Like: Dion Prestia/Nathan Jones

An inside midfielder who loves the physical stuff, he racks up clearances and contested possessions like nobodys business. His focal point is at stoppages where he crashes in and gets the ball out to someone on the outside. He’s actually quite aggressive when it comes to getting the footy and tackling, a quality he embodies when leading as he did as captain of Vic Metro at this years national championships.

Draft profiling by Mitch @ Gold Coast SUNS Football Supporters Page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Touk!

From Knightmare:
Height: 177cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 22/02/1996
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Draft range: 15-45
Best position/role: Midfield – on the ball.
Strengths:
Strength - Miller is so strong through the legs and core that when he goes in to win the ball he almost always comes out with it, seemingly never getting knocked off the ball. He also has the strength to consistently win the 1v1 contests, out body his opponents for marks as well as easily disposing of the ball by hand or foot to a target, not seeming concerned by pressure and not going to ground when tackled.
Inside game – Miller has the strength to consistently win the contested and ground balls. His work by hand is excellent and he has the strength to really make an impact inside the contest. His tackling ability also is excellent as someone who has excellent tackle per game numbers and really buries guys in his tackles. He also has some evasiveness to him as someone who can use some evasive steps in game to create more time and space for himself or to get by opposition players.
Tackling ability – Miller is a strong tackler and around the ball or even chasing after guys he puts in the tackling effort and energy consistently. He buries guys in his tackles laying some hard tackles and has excellent tackle per game numbers.
Marking ability – Miller is a strong mark overhead and can mark on the lead or 1v1 to a high standard. He has strong hands overhead and constantly takes his marks out in front. With his size and strength 1v1 he plays like a taller player so if he pushes forward a small defender who is only average 1v1 will not do.
Leadership – Captained VIC Metro and Calder Cannons and uses his voice well out on the field to instruct teammates.
Endurance – Miller is an endurance runner and covers substantial ground every week through the midfield as someone who will get to every contest. With his endurance while not overly quick it allows Miller when the opportunity is there to take on the game and provide some run and carry.
Scoreboard impact – Miller in the TAC Cup averaged right on a goal a game which is an excellent return from a mostly midfielder showing that he also has the ability to push forward and kick a goal at times.
Weaknesses:
Outside game – Miller at this stage struggles to find much easy outside ball as more of an inside only player at this point. He does not often find himself in space on the outside as more of a contest to contest runner and he could work harder to present into space and provide an option on the outside. He is also a low damage player as his footskills are only average, which is the same story with his pace so as a result of this he is going to remain an inside player throughout his career.
Pace – Miller overall is not quick which as a sub 180cm mid is disappointing. At times he will provide some run and carry if he is given the time and space to do so but he does not have an incredible top speed or that burst of acceleration we see from many of the other smaller midfielders.
Footskills – His kicking efficiency while much improved from last year is still not as high as it ideally should be. Additionally he is a low damage guy as someone who can find targets over short or medium distances but he is not someone who has a super penetrating kick or does a whole lot of damage with his kicks generally speaking.
What I expect will improve:
I expect given Miller’s strength over the ball to look to become a more dominant midfielder, I also expect he will over time begin to find some more outside ball to compliment his inside game.
Who he can become?
Miller has the scope to develop into something like a poor man’s Dion Prestia as a short but immensely strong midfielder, but without the same level production or explosiveness.
When will he be ready to play?
Miller if required from season one could play senior games at AFL level but more likely in season two he would be looking to establish himself as a regular.
How to best utilise him?
Miller is best utilised on the ball through the midfield, occasionally rotating forward.
Interpretation of his numbers:
His disposal per game numbers are good. Contested ball per game numbers are excellent, his uncontested ball numbers are only average. His tackles per game numbers are excellent. His mark per game numbers for an inside midfielder are good. His scoreboard impact at a goal a game for a mostly midfielder is excellent. His disposal efficiency is only average but a strong improvement on where he was last year, particularly by foot which is encouraging.

He's a good score this kid. Has a good blend of athleticism and football smarts.
Could be a real player.

I had a look at his TAC Cup stats, his tackle numbers were ridiculous. Between 6 and 8 were the norm.

The comparison to Prestia is pretty spot on with that inside work. Like Dion, he knows how to use his limited height to his advantage. Unlike Wright and Garlett, I can see Touk playing a bit next year. Maybe 10-12 games.

I had a look at his TAC Cup stats, his tackle numbers were ridiculous. Between 6 and 8 were the norm.

The comparison to Prestia is pretty spot on with that inside work. Like Dion, he knows how to use his limited height to his advantage. Unlike Wright and Garlett, I can see Touk playing a bit next year. Maybe 10-12 games.

Will depend on how Mitch Hallihan goes, but we don't really have anyone who seems to be as strong inside (other than Gaz) as what Touk is. Of course hard to gauge in a video against like aged kids, but the signs are promising.

Interesting to see how his AFL pre season numbers go relating to fitness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So going by his instagram (I swear i'm not stalking him) he's a bit of a surfer dude and a lifeguard already! He'll fit right in up here and probably already has his bronze certificate. What a perfect fit.

Hahaha yes. Please bring back the afro.

Another leader, another competitor and he has cult written all over him. Was a big fan pre-draft. Love this selection.

He will be huge for the NEAFL team from day dot.

http://www.essendondfl.com.au/

On the front page there is a story about a kid named Touk Miller. Seriously, this kid can do anything. Far and away the best young player I've seen.

I suspect in the years to come we'll hear a lot about him.
AuckMel posted this in 2008 and was spot on - what a prediction.

AuckMel posted this in 2008 and was spot on - what a prediction.

Hehe.

My son played against him way back then and I thought he was special. Awesome kid and so glad to see him drafted. Hopefully my boy can join him next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back