tour De France 2014 Stage 11: Besancon - Oyonnax

Remove this Banner Ad

After a rest night, we have been able to breathe and digest why we saw on stage 10. Here is a quick rundown; Contador broke his leg. Plenty of differing account of what actually happened. Climbed a cat 2 climb with a broken leg, overtaking the autobus plus a bunch of other riders.
Voeckler and Rodriguez duked it out for the KOTM was entertaining until Voeckler realised he could never beat Purito up a hill. Tony Martin went into Panzerwagen mode and dragging Kwiatkowski (and others) all the way until the 2nd last climb, only for Kwiatkowski to crack and lose the white jersey to Bardet. Sagan made the break and getting another 20 points at the intermediate sprint point. Machado fell, announced as abandoned, then continued to ride. Nibali showed he is by far the best climber left at the tour.

Stage 11: Besancon - Oyonnax
Current Jersey Leaders
Yellow:
Vincenzo Nibail (AST)
White: Romain Bardet (ALM)
Green: Peter Sagan (CAN)
Polkadot: Joaquin Rodriguez (KAT)
Lantern Rouge: Ji Cheng (GSH)
Team: AG2R La Mondiale

670461753.png

PROFIL.png

PROFILKMS.png

General Classification after Stage 10
ITA 1 NIBALI, Vincenzo (ASTANA) 42:33:38
AUS 2 PORTE, Richie (SKY) + 2:23
ESP 3 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR) + 2:47
FRA 4 BARDET, Romain (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 3:01
FRA 5 GALLOPIN, Tony (LOTTO BELISOL) + 3:12
FRA 6 PINOT, Thibaut (FDJ.fr) + 3:47
USA 7 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING) + 3:56
FRA 8 PERAUD, Jean-Christophe (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 3:57
POR 9 FARIA DA COSTA, Rui Alberto (LAMPRE - MERIDA) + 3:58
NED 10 MOLLEMA, Bauke (BELKIN) + 4:08

Tonight's stage is yet another one of these nasty medium mountain stages. We have 4 categorised climbs within 30km, all towards the end of the race. Unfortunately for the riders, there isn't a flat run in to the climbs, it undulates the whole way there. Luckily, it seems as though we will have relatively dry roads today, which will make it easier on the riders and hopefully we will have less crashes. This stage looks perfect for a puncheur to really make a break on the final climb, then keep their break on the descent coming into Oyonnax. Throughout the stage I think Canondale will try to keep the break in check, as on paper this stage would be good for Sagan, as long as there is no breakaway. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Thomas Voeckler break at the to of the last climb and try to use his good bike handling skills to stay away. Having said that, I'll be all patriotic and tip Simon Gerrans tonight.

Watch out for: Paul and Phil mentioning Elia Viviani's win here during last year's Criterium Dauphine

Conversation regarding past cases of PED use or innuendo surrounding current riders will not be tolerated. This thread is specifically about Stage 11 of the 2014 Tour de France, so let's keep it that way.

Incredible effort from Machado in stage 10. Here is his story:

Never the resting day was so please like today. Imo the start of the Tour was pretty positive but yesterday was pure terror. After a violent crash i was stagger for a while i sit in the ambulance thinking i wouldn´t be able to finish the stage, then one of the doctors ask me if i want an analgesic and i just said "wheres my bike?" after that i went to the road again knowing that would be almost impossible to finish in time, but i didn´t stop believing, while theres life theres hope. Whats make me to keep going? It wasn´t the dream to arrive in Paris but i wanna to stay in the bicycle to show my parents, brothers, friends that i was ok. Crossing the supply zone and seeing my massagist crying gave me even more strength to keep going, my mates waiting in the road to try the impossible with me make me suffer even more when i thought i already reached my limit . Finally i saw the finish line and the time i was about to lose, since i was never bad at math i realise immediately that i didn´t make it. I didn´t contain my emotions and i cried, not because of the pain but of frustration for the people who wait for me over 40 minutes. I want to say thanks to the Tour organization to let me keep racing, to my mates for fighting with me, to the director for not abandon me, to the massagist who never let me for 1seg, to everyone who said nice words to me, my family and friends

Legit made me tear up.

His injuries:

HKHxw7v.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/U9Eje

+1 fan and I won't be forgetting that name and effort for a long while.

Incredible effort from Machado in stage 10. Here is his story:

Legit made me tear up.

His injuries:

HKHxw7v.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/U9Eje

+1 fan and I won't be forgetting that name and effort for a long while.
I love how the organisation invoked the little used "outstanding courage" clause and let him continue even tho he finished outside the time.

Poor bastard. In the ambulance long enough to be listed as abandoned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why persist? He's clearly riding under immense duress, and he's not going to get a rest day for a while.
The pace he is losing time at at the moment is going to give him a rest from the end of todays stage to whenever.

Phil just saying he wanted to go on. Lunacy

The pace he is losing time at at the moment is going to give him a rest from the end of todays stage to whenever.

Phil just saying he wanted to go on. Lunacy

As the commentators alluded to, maybe he wants to finish and since it would be outside the time limit, the organisers would kick him out and thus it would no longer be his choice. But no-one would begrudge him throwing in the towel for his own health.

The coverage is starting to annoy me. They keep going back to Talansky who is miles behind rather than show the actual race at the front, who gives a s**t if a guy is gonna finish 20 mins behind. When Gallopin made his successful final attack they swing back to an overhead shot of the bunch and then next time they go back to the leaders he suddenly has a 5 sec gap and Sagan is looking back for help. :mad:

Sagan now missed 2 good chances for stage wins IMO, couldn't hold Gallopin's wheel which is a bit of a surprise, is getting up the climbs well but looks like he's lost his sprint legs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back