Tour de France 2014 Stage 13: Saint Etienne - Chamrousse

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night was probably the most uneventful stage of the whole tour. A stock standard sprint stage (with a couple of hills) with only one major crash. David de la Cruz crashed out in a bizarre crash going around a bend where he just lost his wheel. The stage was won by Alex Kristoff, with Peter Sagan yet again finishing second.

Tour de France 2014 Stage 13: Saint Etienne - Chamrousse
Current Jersey Leaders

Yellow: Vincenzo Nibail (AST)
White: Romain Bardet (ALM)
Green: Peter Sagan (CAN)
Polkadot: Joaquin Rodriguez (KAT)
Lantern Rouge: Ji Cheng (GSH)
Team: AG2R La Mondiale

Stage-13-Map.jpg

PROFIL.png

• Km 24.0 - Col de la Croix de Montvieux 8 kilometre-long climb at 4.1% - category 3
  • Km 152.0 - Col de Palaquit (1 154 m) 14.1 kilometre-long climb at 6.1% - category 1
  • Km 197.5 - Montée de Chamrousse (1 730 m)18.2 kilometre-long climb at 7.3% - category H
PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png

General Classification after Stage 12
ITA 1 NIBALI, Vincenzo (ASTANA) 51:31:34
AUS 2 PORTE, Richie (SKY) + 2:23
ESP 3 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR) + 2:47
FRA 4 BARDET, Romain (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 3:01
FRA 5 PINOT, Thibaut (FDJ.fr) + 3:47
USA 6 VAN GARDEREN, Tejay (BMC RACING) + 3:56
FRA 7 PERAUD, Jean-Christophe (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 3:57
NED 8 MOLLEMA, Bauke (BELKIN) + 4:08
BEL 9 VAN DEN BROECK, Jurgen (LOTTO BELISOL) + 4:18
DEN 10 FUGLSANG, Jakob (ASTANA) + 4:31

Tonight's stage will be the first big showdown in the mountains. The Col de la Palaquit is listed as 6.1%, however with a 2km descent included in the climb, the average incline is actually greater than this. This will be a tough climb for the riders, with 5km of the total climb sitting at 9.9% or above. At the descent of this climb, the riders are pretty much straight onto the Chamrousse. Listed at 18.2km, the climb is closer to 30km, however the climb doesn't officially start until the 18.2km to go mark. This climb is quite long, with only a couple of areas of respite that are below 5%. This stage will really sort out the GC standings. I'll say this will be another stage for Vincenzo Nibali.

Look out for: Paul and Phil using their whole range of vocabulary, including "red zone" and "on the rivet".

Conversation regarding past cases of PED use or innuendo surrounding current riders will not be tolerated. This thread is specifically about Stage 13 of the 2014 Tour de France, so let's keep it that way.

Last edited:
Will be an interesting battle between Astana and Team Sky

In previous years, Sky have dominated stages like this, splitting the pack with an insane tempo. I feel as though if Porte has enough team-mates with him come the last climb, then he will try and isolate Nibali before making a late attack.

Astana have been riding very well for Nibali however, and I reckon they will want as many of their riders at the front of the race. I think the stage is a good chance to put some further time on the riders with less team support available.

Not sure de la Cruz had much choice, his front tyre exploded halfway around a corner. He had no hope. Have had that happen. You are going down and hard.

Any tips for tonights stage win other than Nibali? Looks like the last climb isn't as steep at the top as previous climbs, might be an upset.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am being entertained.

Looks like there's going to be some serious carnage in the next 15kms.

These little attacks then pauses and looks over the shoulder from the chase group aren't going to get them them up to the Nibali group. Either someone balls up and attack properly, work together to bridge the gap or none of you are going to get anywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back