List Mgmt. Trade: Allen Christensen traded to Brisbane in exchange for National Draft selection no. 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Cattas_21

Team Captain
Sep 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles, Arsenal
Just on SEN: whispers coming out that a much loved cat and very good player has requested a move up north. Any ideas who this could be?

Just on SEN: whispers coming out that a much loved cat and very good player has requested a move up north. Any ideas who this could be?

Tom Harley.

Go Catters

Well then we are stuffed as to our ruck stocks once again.

HMac can't run out a game,
Dawson looks a type but can't get through a year.
Blitz is a good 2 or 3rd ruck not a primary ruck
Walker has proven he can't play the position gets monstered whenever he goes in there.
Vardy hips are too brittle to play the position.

Apart from those five, our ruck stocks are great. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

michael-scott-no.gif

I assume you mean Langford.

I'm a believer that height in the midfield is overrated. It's strength through the body (see Sam Mitchell at 176 odd/GAJ the same at 182 odd) and football ability.
Yes, Langford, my bad.

Re: midfield height, yes and no. Being under 6 foot definitely doesn't mean you can't be elite but when you have an entire group under that height that's a lot of mass you're giving up around the stoppages in an extremely physical game. Generally, taller players have a bigger frame which equates to more weight/muscle mass. I see it as kind of similar as rugby union in pack weights when it comes to scrums, sure you can have some smaller guys who are very strong for their size and/or have elite skills in another area ie Gaz, Selwood, Mitchell but I don't think you're going to see a dominant midfield group when they are all 6 foot or under and/or under 80kgs playing against 3 or 4 opponents who have 5-10cm and 5-10kgs on them, they just can't match the physicality around the stoppages.

Individually it can be overcome but I think collectively it can have a very big impact.

I assume you mean Langford.

I'm a believer that height in the midfield is overrated. It's strength through the body (see Sam Mitchell at 176 odd/GAJ the same at 182 odd) and football ability.

Agreed. It's amazing how everyone wants to copy Fremantle because they have a big midfield. Remind me how many premierships they've won again?

I'd slightly tweak it - football ability is still to me by far the most important attribute. And at all clubs bar Hawthorn, the most neglected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back