May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
List Management Thread.
------------------------------

The Bulldogs' First Pick: Likely around 4-7.

Possible First Round Selections:

Josh Kelly: Outside Midfielder with lethal kicking skills & elite endurance. Questions over his ability to win hard ball & is very lightweight. Resembles Marc Murphy.

Jack Billings: Smallish Foward/Midfielder with great kicking skills and overhead marking ability for his 183cm size.

Matt Scharenberg: 192cm Swingman who plays predominantly in defense.

Dom Sheed: All-Round Classy Midfielder with great skills & evasive ability. More of an inside midfielder than outside. Plays a bit like Simon Black.

Darcy Gardiner: 192cm Key Defender who could possibly be developed as a forward. Very good one-on-one.

Ben Lennon: Your big 187cm utility who has a thunderbolt of a kick.

Marcus Bontempelli: Very athletic 192cm hard running midfielder with Pendlebury-like class.

Last edited:
With Josh Kelly and the ball winning ability I am sure if we drafted him we would back our ability to make him play the role we wanted him to play.

Jackson Macrae had similar questions of his contested ball winning ability and it has been stated by at least Darymple and Hansen they thknought it'd be an issue for his first couple of years but he has taken to the program like a duck to water.

Nathan Hrovat was drafted to play as a mid/fwd to rotate with Dahlhaus having also admitted himself that he rarely kicked goals.

knightmares comparison to Andrew Gaff having watched his junior career seems fair, though Kelly is more lean then what Gaff was

No idea until after the champs.
Ward & Macrae were barely on the radar at the start of their respective u18 years.

Josh Kelly: Outside Midfielder with lethal kicking skills & elite endurance. Questions over his ability to win hard ball & is very lightweight. Resembles Marc Murphy. YES WE NEED

Jack Billings: Smallish Foward/Midfielder with great kicking skills and overhead marking ability for his 183cm size. Questions over his endurance. Resembles Daniel Giansiracusa a bit. YES WE NEED

Matt Scharenberg: 192cm Swingman who plays predominantly in defense. Usually plays the Sam Fisher role taking plenty of intercept marks, but is also capable of playing excellent football both in the midfield & up forward. Probably resembles Matthew Pavlich more than Stringer (Pav started in defense for those of you who don't know) DONT NEED

Dom Sheed: All-Round Classy Midfielder with great skills & evasive ability. Possibly more of an inside midfielder than outside. Resembles Scott Pendlebury/Simon Black. YES WE NEED

Darcy Gardiner: 192cm Key Defender who could possibly be developed as a forward. Very good one-on-one. DONT NEED

Ben Lennon: Your big 187cm utility who has a thunderbolt of a kick. Next Goddard anyone? YES NEED IF HE CAN FIND THE FOOTY TOO?

Marcus Bontempelli: Very athletic 191cm running midfielder with a good thumping kick. Some compare him to Deledio. YES NEED IF GOOD SKILLS??

Matt Scharenberg: 192cm Swingman who plays predominantly in defense. Usually plays the Sam Fisher role taking plenty of intercept marks, but is also capable of playing excellent football both in the midfield & up forward. Probably resembles Matthew Pavlich more than Stringer (Pav started in defense for those of you who don't know) DONT NEED

Don't need? Can I ask why?

I'd probably take Scharenberg ahead of Kelly, its just I don't think he'll be there at our pick
but who knows how things will turn out till the end of the championships

A question for the draftwatchers. Honest answers please.

Is josh Kelly the next Nathan eagleton? If so, it's a no from me. Eags helped us win a lot of games, but was an absolute liability in our prelims and 1st qualifying finals due to a failure to win contests when needed to.

That's what worries me a little. The div 1 games are a bit more heated, so we'll get a better gauge on what Kelly does.

My order of preference (excluding Boyd):
Billings, Scharenberg >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lennon, Kelly, Gardiner. Haven't paid much attention to Bontempelli or Sheed.

Don't need? Can I ask why?

Why would we take him over an outside midfielder? - which is what we desperately need. We don't need anymore backs over 190cm - we already have Roughead, Talia, Young and Morris. You mention he can be a Sam Fisher type - I sort of see Tommy Young in that role to be honest. Unless he can be a tall forward who takes pack marks then I don't see why we would want him..Kelly, Lennon, Billings and Sheed sound like players we need. I'd be filthy if our first pick goes to a key back.

Well the eyecatchers certainly wasn't worth watching at all, all the players they'd already raved about in articles

Aish and Boyd, oh yeah
like they need anymore talking up... ;)

Why would we take him over an outside midfielder? - which is what we desperately need. We don't need anymore backs over 190cm - we already have Roughead, Talia, Young and Morris. You mention he can be a Sam Fisher type - I sort of see Tommy Young in that role to be honest. Unless he can be a tall forward who takes pack marks then I don't see why we would want him..Kelly, Lennon, Billings and Sheed sound like players we need. I'd be filthy if our first pick goes to a key back.

None are setup defenders though, Roughead and Talia will be a good defensive combo but we really need another utility type to play off half back that can read and setup play from back half like what Fisher did or what Birchall does we have noone on list that can do that, Scharenberg does it as good as anyone I've seen from last few drafts, Young has been ok as that third tall for moment but long term is not going to be taking intercept marks and setting up play from backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would we take him over an outside midfielder? - which is what we desperately need. We don't need anymore backs over 190cm - we already have Roughead, Talia, Young and Morris.
... none of whom are rebounding defenders, which is what Scharenberg is (Young may mount an argument in time).

Talent watachers in SA (non-BF types) are all over him, even before he starred in the divvie 2 game - and if anyone thinks we wouldn't take a genuine gun rebounder who can play third man up as well as stopping their direct opponent if he's best available, they're dreaming.

From that list.

Scharenberg>Billings>Lennon>Sheed>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bontempelli>>>>>>>Kelly.

He's not necessarily a key back. He has the athleticism and ground skills to play as a run and carry flanker in the Corey Enright mold. Other's like Chris25 see him as a midfielder first. In the worst case scenario, he ends up as a defender which is not a bad thing for us as we are really lacking in attacking defenders.

With all this talk about wanting a gun key forward, most of the time it's a good defence that wins premierships (along with a gun midfield).

From that list.

Scharenberg>Billings>Lennon>Sheed>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bontempelli>>>>>>>Kelly.
My order of preference (excluding Boyd):
Billings, Scharenberg >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lennon, Kelly, Gardiner. Haven't paid much attention to Bontempelli or Sheed.

Good to get people's thoughts. Hopefully Lennon can have a good champs, he was ignored a lot up forward the other day. And good to see I'm not the only one that has Billings over Kelly. Regarding Kelly, is it mainly because he's such a seagull as to why you don't rate him as highly? I can understand that.

Dont know a lot about this years potential draftees as yet.
From the descriptions I picked Marcus Bontempelli.
Appears to have the attributes we need with regard to running and good foot skills, has some height as well which helps for a midfielder to drift forward to take a grab or two.
Probably will change my mind as we get closer to draft time and are swamped with analysis about all the potential.
If we can grab someone like Gumby in a trade, we have enough players then to build a team round.

Good to get people's thoughts. Hopefully Lennon can have a good champs, he was ignored a lot up forward the other day. And good to see I'm not the only one that has Billings over Kelly. Regarding Kelly, is it mainly because he's such a seagull as to why you don't rate him as highly? I can understand that.

The main thing for me not rating him highly is definitely his seagull-like nature. He may be able to improve his ball winning ability at AFL level, but I wouldn't use a top pick in hope of that happening. Kelly can run and carry the ball, and has great skills, but he's just so outside. We could have just picked Matt Haynes if we wanted more run and carry (although he doesn't have the skills Kelly has), and we could use a rookie pick on him, not a top 5 pick.

Yep, I think this is the better comparison then to the Gia one personally.
Are there doubts upon Billings' running ability? Brad Johnson was a state level middle distance runner in high school, was always an elite runner.

A question for the draftwatchers. Honest answers please.

Is josh Kelly the next Nathan eagleton? If so, it's a no from me. Eags helped us win a lot of games, but was an absolute liability in our prelims and 1st qualifying finals due to a failure to win contests when needed to.

Not denying that but IIRC one final match at the MCG where Eagleton was BOG. But I take your point. Eagleton was also a long kick but tended to also helicopter them a bit!

I've only seen Kelly play twice, and he didn't impress me. He reminds me of Cale Morton, great game for under 18's but not AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back