Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
I know it's madness. I'm just not all that sure who else we bring in. Provided we use our 5 live picks in the draft (and I think there's enough quality around 40-50 to do so), how many rookies can we take?
We can take 4-6, but six would be overkill. :p Personally, I'd rather take a raw prospect who has upside than re-rookie Greenwood to have him play at Footscray. He's developed well, but he isn't an AFL standard player and likely never will be. He's a good, solid contributor at VFL level though, and I'd certainly love to sign him to a contract at Footscray; but I'm not so concerned about losing him to another VFL side that I'd rookie list him 'just cos.'

Have been on holiday and out of the loop. Can someone explain why people are posting that Tutt is definitely going.

He is committed to going to Carlton and they are committed to taking him in the pre-season draft. Club was trying to make him stay but hes gone. There is no article on it but I have a strong Carlton source.

We can take 4-6, but six would be overkill. :p Personally, I'd rather take a raw prospect who has upside than re-rookie Greenwood to have him play at Footscray. He's developed well, but he isn't an AFL standard player and likely never will be. He's a good, solid contributor at VFL level though, and I'd certainly love to sign him to a contract at Footscray; but I'm not so concerned about losing him to another VFL side that I'd rookie list him 'just cos.'
We can only have 44 total (primary and rookie list). If we use our 5 picks at the draft (assuming pearce stays on the primary list), then we could only have 4 rookies. If we only used 4 of our 5 draft picks, we could take 5 rookies.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
We can only have 44 total (primary and rookie list). If we use our 5 picks at the draft (assuming pearce stays on the primary list), then we could only have 4 rookies. If we only used 4 of our 5 draft picks, we could take 5 rookies.
You can have six rookies max though - meaning we could theoretically avoid using 45 and 46 and opt to take two extra rookies instead. It won't happen, but the option is there for us if Boyd's contract puts us under the financial strain that the media seem to think it will... ;)

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

We can have 2 B grade category rookies as well which makes 46.

We can have 2 B grade category rookies which makes 46.
we can, but they don't get taken in the Rookie draft. We can only have max 44 on the primary and rookie lists combined (excluding Category B rooks - of which we don't have any). So unless Pearce is delisted, we have 5 primary list spots and 4 rookie spots left to fill.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Didn't Sydney take six to get their AFL list down to 38?

That's a fair point. Provided another club doesn't take him, I think we'll select Foster, and while he's physically underdeveloped, Mitch Jensen has been promising at VFL level.

As for the other two spots, I'm not so sure. At Will's age, I'm not comfortable with just having Campbell and Cordy as ruck depth, so I'd imagine we'll look towards a 'project' (god I hate that term) ruckman - I think it was timtamWB that said Darcy Fort is a possibility, but he looks a long, long way off.

That's a fair point. Provided another club doesn't take him, I think we'll select Foster, and while he's physically underdeveloped, Mitch Jensen has been promising at VFL level.

As for the other two spots, I'm not so sure. At Will's age, I'm not comfortable with just having Campbell and Cordy as ruck depth, so I'd imagine we'll look towards a 'project' (god I hate that term) ruckman - I think it was timtamWB that said Darcy Fort is a possibility, but he looks a long, long way off.
We could only take 38 on the primary list and 6 rookies, but that would mean passing with pick 45 and 46 in the national draft, which seems kinda silly.

Wouldn't surprise me if we are thinking that Big Red might make a key defender. He has played at both ends at VFL level and may be given the opportunity to do so at AFL level, particularly if Roughead plays up forward at times.

TheHoneyBadger

"I lost my phone"
10k Posts Western Bulldogs - Cordy, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale Player Sponsor 2015
Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
We could only take 38 on the primary list and 6 rookies, but that would mean passing with pick 45 and 46 in the national draft, which seems kinda silly.
Sydney only did it to ease the cap pressure IIRC.

It would be very silly. We'll get talented players at 45 and 46.

Iluvdalhouse

Debutant
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is committed to going to Carlton and they are committed to taking him in the pre-season draft. Club was trying to make him stay but hes gone. There is no article on it but I have a strong Carlton source.

The kid is a spud who hates the hard ball we will put Jong on him when we play them and whack!!! lol

Flash86

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Clippers
I was really looking forward to seeing if the dogs might target someone in the DFA period but that's ok.
We got a good chance to draft some good talent with 5 picks from 26-26
A lot of phantom drafts having us taking Oscar Mcdonald and pick 26, which really is our next spot to sure up. The CHB spot.
Can't wait for 2015 to start.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

Yeah, I think they did. We did a couple of years ago as well.

My thoughts on Foster are well-known but I probably wouldn't be selecting him. Happy to give Jensen a shot on the rookie list.

Iluvdalhouse

Debutant
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I love the look of our list....

So much depends on getting this draft right.

Menadue
Maynard
McDonald
Lonie
Rianbow

Cordy
Boyd

That would be a perfect draft for us

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
we can, but they don't get taken in the Rookie draft. We can only have max 44 on the primary and rookie lists combined (excluding Category B rooks - of which we don't have any). So unless Pearce is delisted, we have 5 primary list spots and 4 rookie spots left to fill.

Understood. Was just pointing out that we can have 2 extra rookies if we want.

dogzrule

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2010
nfa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What happens with Tutt, are we still trying to change his mind or does he just become a DFA ?? What is the cut off date

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
whats everyone's guess on Pearce from here??
Still even money between three options for mine:
  1. We keep him on the list to give him one last chance.
  2. We commit to a delisted free agent - for example, McKernan or Hamling - and give Pearce a rookie spot.
  3. We commit to a delisted free agent, offer Pearce a rookie spot, and he rejects it.
All depends on whether we're keen on any of the free agents for mine.

I love the look of our list....

So much depends on getting this draft right.

Menadue
Maynard
McDonald
Lonie
Rianbow

Cordy
Boyd

That would be a perfect draft for us

It would be, but I think all of them will be gone before our 3rd pick unfortunately.

Still even money between three options for mine:
  1. We keep him on the list to give him one last chance.
  2. We commit to a delisted free agent - for example, McKernan or Hamling - and give Pearce a rookie spot.
  3. We commit to a delisted free agent, offer Pearce a rookie spot, and he rejects it.
All depends on whether we're keen on any of the free agents for mine.
Any DFA's take your fancy?

Clay

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club (VFL)
Out:

Daniel Giansiracusa (retired)
Tom Williams (retired)
Brett Goodes (delisted)
Christian Howard (delisted)
Tom Young (delisted)
Mark Austin (delisted)
Alex Greenwood (delisted)
Liam Jones (Carlton)
Ryan Griffen (GWS)
Shaun Higgins (North Melbourne)
Adam Cooney (Essendon)

Wow. What a massive turnover. Have we had a bigger off-season than this one?

Please about Jong and Redpath by the way. Two solid rookie picks who have improved rapidly on the rookie list. Well done to them and to the club.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Any DFA's take your fancy?
At the risk of alienating myself from 90% of the supporter base - I wouldn't be at all disappointed if we took a punt on McKernan.

How many CHFs who can pinch hit in the ruck do we have? Zero - Cordy is a possibility but, realistically, is unlikely to have the output you want from a second forward. McKernan has always had the talent, but just lacked that drive and aggression - but a fresh start, along with a bit of a wake up call, could make a world of difference. He looked excellent at the beginning of the year, then had a minor injury and couldn't break back into a forward line filled with Betts, Jenkins, Lynch, Pods, Walker...it's a pretty damn good and well-balanced forward line.

He keeps Boyd out of the ruck, provides a secondary option if Cordy needs more time to develop, and allows Roughead to stay back if required.

Apparently we were interested in him and that's why we got him for Footscray, that was at the very start of the season that I heard that, 2nd VFL game. A lot has changed since then, and nothing I've seen in him has struck me as a reason to rookie list him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back