Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We might keep Pearce and just put him on the Rookie list and only take 3 Rookies instead of 4.
Hamling comes as a delisted free agent we just sign him it doesn't cost a draft pick at all .
Happy with this news welcome Hamling to the Western Bulldogs.

I can't see why we would downgrade Pearce. He was highly rated after his preseason this year, then had a few injury niggles and fell back abit in the order. As depth on the main list we've had far, far worse in recent years and I don't know what we think we would get at pick 80 something that would be better than him. Don't know what we would get at 45 in this draft better than him frankly. He can play out of the back half which is exactly where we still need depth given Darley and Biggs have very limited runs on the board at AFL level. Would agree it's a really important year for him but making him a rookie wouldn't help us or him IMO.

I can't see why we would downgrade Pearce. He was highly rated after his preseason this year, then had a few injury niggles and fell back abit in the order. As depth on the main list we've had far, far worse in recent years and I don't know what we think we would get at pick 80 something that would be better than him. Don't know what we would get at 45 in this draft better than him frankly. He can play out of the back half which is exactly where we still need depth given Darley and Biggs have very limited runs on the board at AFL level. Would agree it's a really important year for him but making him a rookie wouldn't help us or him IMO.
I like him a lot and want him on the list. But I don't see why we would have traded jones for 46 if we didn't intend on using it. We've played hard ball with tutt, so I can't see us not using 46. Which means there isn't room for pearce on the primary list, unless me move on a contacted player (ie fuller).

I'd also still take macdonald, despite picking up hamling. We need another legit, big bodied, key defender (prospect). Cordy and hamling are both at that 192/194cm range.

I'm not sure but if he has chosen us would be a nothing pick around 70 anyway

As it currently stands with the delistings, retirements and trades, Hamling is the equivalent to pick 45.

Dogs picks at the draft:

26 - ?
27 - ?
39 - ?
45 - used for Joel Hamling
46 - used for Rookie elevation (Jong/Redpath)
64 - F/S Zaine Cordy
79 - used for Rookie elevation (Jong/Redpath)

If Tutt departs then one of the rookies will drop to 90ish and Hamling will drop to 46. So basically what we traded Jones for...

We don't need to give up anything for Hamling. He was delisted. Same method we used to get Lower for nothing.

We only have a limited number of draft selections, so by signing Hamling, we lose one of those selections - which means as it stands Hamling is the equivalent of pick 45.

We only have a limited number of draft selections, so by signing Hamling, we lose one of those selections - which means as it stands Hamling is the equivalent of pick 45.

As it stands:

Out
  • 2 retired - Gia, Williams
  • 3 delisted - Goodes, Howard, Young
  • 1 FA - Higgins
  • 3 traded out - Griffen, Cooney, Jones
  • 1 who will go PSD - Tutt

4 Senior Players In
  • 1 father-son - Zaine Cordy
  • 2 traded in - Boyd, Biggs
  • 1 DFA - Hamling

6 Senior Players Required
  • 2 rookie upgrade - Jong, Redpath
  • 4 national draft picks - 26, 27, 39, 45
I think Pearce will go to allow us to use P46. Pearce then to be rookied.

If we use a pick in the 40's for hamilng we have totally lost the plot in a deep draft. Won't happen. Someone will be rookie listed surely

If we use a pick in the 40's for hamilng we have totally lost the plot in a deep draft. Won't happen. Someone will be rookie listed surely

Been said a few times previous, but we don't use a pick on Hamling. It just means we have one less spot on our list. Now 4 instead of 5. If don't make a another delisting then we can't use pick 46. But if we want to use 46 we can it's still there for us.

It's clear to me that we wanted to add depth to our defence/KP stocks. This kid has 3 years in the Geelong system so is ahead development wise to an 18 year old KP from the TAC. Especially those available at our picks. I think we wanted someone just that bit more advanced, certainly and upgrade on Austin from what I have seen of him. Not much to lose there.

From what I understand Pearce will be moved to the Rookie List (Things Change so not always solid) which will enable us to use Pick 46.

If Pearce is delisted, or rookied, as seems likely, we lose NONE of our third round picks, not 45, not 46. We signed Hamling as a delisted free agent. Try reading the other posts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if we had pick 1 ?
No. He played well v us at end of the year but he is miles off a first rounder. His career hasn't been great by a long shot. Let's see his output next season before making ridiculous on whether or not he is worth pick1-5.
I would suggest he is in the pick 19-25 mark. He showed some nice signs of improvement, but he isn't near the top 50 mids in the league. He isn't even top 3 at the Giants.

By the way , anyone else had a chance to look at his "highlights" ?
Scared to watch his bloopers.
Which video did you watch? If it was the VFL/AFL/NAB Cup one it was his 'match involvements;' not just highlights.

He's a project anyway. Likely a year or two away from consistent senior footy.

No. He played well v us at end of the year but he is miles off a first rounder. His career hasn't been great by a long shot. Let's see his output next season before making ridiculous on whether or not he is worth pick1-5.
I would suggest he is in the pick 19-25 mark. He showed some nice signs of improvement, but he isn't near the top 50 mids in the league. He isn't even top 3 at the Giants.

A little more muscle on this guy in 2 years , then watch out !

Thanks Ivan , now that makes sense!

With Jones, Higgins, Cooney, Young, Goodes and Tutt gone, our list was suddenly unbalanced in the scapegoat/whipping boy dept.
Grant and Ayce can't carry the load alone, so Hamling was the perfect fit. (I don't think Austin was up to the load of increased vitriol to be spread across less candidates.)

Why wouldn't we rookie Hamling ,i could not see a hoard of prospective
clubs beating down his door from the exposed form.
Bingo, we blinked on this one. Perhaps he wasn't willing to move to a club as a rookie, but I wouldn't believe that. Maybe there was further interest or we wanted him so he could start training properly? Still, I would have thought to rookie would have been wiser. Good to see him at the club, I've heard some decent things about him and he is the right kind of age. If he has a career with us like Austin did I suppose that would be a serviceable return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back