Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little more muscle on this guy in 2 years , then watch out !
Maybe, but that could be said of any draftee. I saw him in the last game and he was impressive. But having said that we were so godawful that it's hard to make a definitive judgement.
All I know, is that he is behind Ward, Greene, Shiel at least. At other clubs he would be behind 3/4 even 6/7 at stronger clubs. He might fit in our top 4 but that is because we have no real speed in the middle.
I don't want to pay over the odds for an average mid. Yes I would take him but not at a huge cost. Brisbane got Christensen *sp for about the right price. He is far more credentialed than WHE, I would think a similar price would do the trade. We got bent over a little with Boyd, I don't want it to occur again by the Giants.

Interesting. Might be right. So much depends on what the new coach wants to do with roughie. If he continues to play back, we have:

Roughie (23, 200cm, 101kg)
Talia (21, 194cm, 94kg)
Roberts (21, 196cm, 90kg)
Hamling (21, 194m, 90kg)
Cordy (18, 193cm, 82kg)
Isn't that nice to read a list of young tall defenders at the Bulldogs. Would be fantastic if they all prove to be quality players.

as a KPP behind Lonergan & Taylor

I'm not really too worried
Geelong’s faith in Joel Hamling may yet be rewarded after strong start to VFL season
  • NICK WADE
  • GEELONG ADVERTISER
  • APRIL 28, 2014 2:16PM
577812-39295210-ce91-11e3-8fbf-4c17b85df1c4.jpg

Joel Hamling battles with Tom Hawkins at training.

GEELONG could yet be rewarded for its investment in key position prospect Joel Hamling.

It has been a slow grind for Hamling but the 21-year-old is finally starting to find his feet a month into his third season in the VFL.

While there are still questions about whether he may one day make it at AFL level, Hamling’s past two matches in the reserves have been arguably the best of his career so far.

578665-c1ffd608-cea1-11e3-8fbf-4c17b85df1c4.jpg

Joel Hamling came off second best during a drill at VFL training. Photo: PETER RISTEVSKI

On Sunday, playing full back against North Ballarat, he went stride for stride with his opponents on the lead and used his new-found physical confidence to win contests in the air.

“Joel’s been a really good trainer,” Geelong academy director Paul Hood said.

“He’s been putting the work in for a long time.

“He’s trained against Harry Taylor and Tom Lonergan and beat those guys in marking contests.

“It took him a while to work out how to use those techniques in games, but over the last two weeks he’s been fantastic and it’s great to see that hard work coming out.”

Hamling, standing 195cm with a light 87kg frame, is considered a project player at Geelong.

At times on the weekend he was lining up alongside North Melbourne’s giant international rookie Eric Wallace, who stands 196cm and 102kg.

Key defence seems to be Hamling’s calling after a somewhat nomadic existence over his first two years where he often chopped and changed between forward and defence.

He was on a steep learning curve when he arrived via the 32nd pick in the 2011 draft, so much so he didn’t make the cut for the VFL grand final in 2012.

Twice last year he kicked bags of goals as a key forward, showcasing a vibrant leap, before an ankle injury kept him sidelined for almost three months.

With Jones, Higgins, Cooney, Young, Goodes and Tutt gone, our list was suddenly unbalanced in the scapegoat/whipping boy dept.
Grant and Ayce can't carry the load alone, so Hamling was the perfect fit. (I don't think Austin was up to the load of increased vitriol to be spread across less candidates.)

Yeah by April we will be ready to crucify him !

Bingo, we blinked on this one. Perhaps he wasn't willing to move to a club as a rookie, but I wouldn't believe that. Maybe there was further interest or we wanted him so he could start training properly? Still, I would have thought to rookie would have been wiser. Good to see him at the club, I've heard some decent things about him and he is the right kind of age. If he has a career with us like Austin did I suppose that would be a serviceable return.

He looks far more agile than Austin. His kicking is solid not spectacular but I don't think we will be as nervous with him with ball in hand or when the ball hits the deck. Upgrade on Austin for sure....but has potential whippy boy material written all over him in a year or 2 as we will be looking for them. :D

OK. Seemed to be a list lodgement deadline that just passed, but not really a hard-deadline then?
Yeah, I don't really understand the point of the first list lodgement deadline, but it's not a hard deadline. I'm pretty sure you can even delist after the draft, actually (although it's a bit of a dick move).

With Jones, Higgins, Cooney, Young, Goodes and Tutt gone, our list was suddenly unbalanced in the scapegoat/whipping boy dept.
Grant and Ayce can't carry the load alone, so Hamling was the perfect fit. (I don't think Austin was up to the load of increased vitriol to be spread across less candidates.)

Yes we may add a whipping boy to the rookie list, so we can elevate him to the senior whipping boy list. If they delist Fuller we another one gone.

The end of that article doesn't take into account Tutt who will be leaving for Carlton though.
I think it might:
Out - 10
Higgins
Cooney
Griffen
Jones
Young
Goodes
Howard
Williams
Giansiracusa
Tutt

In - 11
Boyd
Biggs
Z. Cordy
Hamling
Jong
Redpath
Pick 26
Pick 27
Pick 39
Pick 45
Pick 46

If we are to use pick 46 we need to delist one more (unless I've forgotten somebody).

I think it might:
Out - 10
Higgins
Cooney
Griffen
Jones
Young
Goodes
Howard
Williams
Giansiracusa
Tutt

In - 11
Boyd
Biggs
Z. Cordy
Hamling
Jong
Redpath
Pick 26
Pick 27
Pick 39
Pick 45
Pick 46

If we are to use pick 46 we need to delist one more (unless I've forgotten somebody).
Hhmmmm I worked it out a couple of weeks ago that we could take another or rookie upgrade/DFA/PSD seems like we have to get rid of 1. To be honest, Pearce has had long enough he should be rookied if anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hhmmmm I worked it out a couple of weeks ago that we could take another or rookie upgrade/DFA/PSD seems like we have to get rid of 1. To be honest, Pearce has had long enough he should be rookied if anything.
Couple of weeks ago was before we'd upgraded Redpath though - with Redpath + Hamling we're now one over.

Issue with Pearce is that he's had a decent run of injuries in that period. I'd like him on the list another year, but preferably the rookie list.

Hamlings highlights package isn't fantastic by any means but I don't think its anywhere near as bad as people are making out on here. Could be a handy pick up, he looks very eager to lay tackles and obviously has some fantastic speed and athleticism. Also seems like he can find a bit of the ball himself, and prefers to go by hand, reminds me of Alex Rance. We definitely need someone who can shut down on the most athletic forwards. Interested to see how he goes next year, hope we rookie Pearce and still take 5 picks to the draft. With Hamling now I'd probably prefer to skip on McDonald, at 26 and 27 now I'm hoping for Cockatoo and Menadue, those two have some huge upside and would just compliment our midfield perfectly both having elite speed but also pretty big and not afraid to tackle and win the hardball etc.

Then at 39, 45 and 46 take the best CHF/2nd tall type (hopefully Keitel) and best available.

Uh...what?!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-02/greenwoods-macca-whack
The 21-year-old (Alex Greenwood) has revealed he was in contention to be upgraded to the senior list before the resignation of coach Brendan McCartney.

"On the Tuesday after the VFL Grand Final I went in and a spoke to list manager Jason McCartney, Brendan and head of football Graham Lowe," Greenwood told AFL.com.au.

"They were happy with the way I finished the year off and played in finals.

"At that point they were still potentially looking at putting me on the senior list, but once Macca resigned that sort of dissipated pretty quickly … but it was a good exit interview."

"I went in and spoke with the club last Thursday," he said.

"They just said if they could, they would have had no hesitation putting me on for a fourth year [on the rookie list] but you just can't legally do that. You can only have three years and then they have to delist you.

"They didn't guarantee anything, but they were certainly very positive about my prospects. As long as I put in a good month's work and nothing really changes then I think I'm a good chance, but there were certainly no guarantees on the table.

"Obviously depending on who the coach is, that might play a part in whether or not I stay around.

"I've got a month to show them what I've got and I believe I can make it. I know I've got a long way to go and I'm not guaranteeing myself anything, but I think if I can get the right opportunity and put my head down only good things can come."

I don't understand. I wish the kid all the best, and seriously hope he proves me wrong, but I see very few AFL qualities in him. His improvement has been fantastic, but I cannot see him realistically becoming an AFL player.

Cats board in melt down now that Hamling has crossed to the dogs!

LiesBabyJesus2-300x229.jpg

Oh Kel,you're posting big fat fibs.Nobody on the Geelong board has had a meltdown.People instead have wished Hamling luck [didn't post that,did you ?]
At least at the Dogs he might get a chance at AFL.At Geelong it was unlikely when he was behind Taylor,Lonergan,Mackie,Rivers and co.
Good luck to him at the Dogs.

LiesBabyJesus2-300x229.jpg

Oh Kel,you're posting big fat fibs.Nobody on the Geelong board has had a meltdown.People instead have wished Hamling luck [didn't post that,did you ?]
At least at the Dogs he might get a chance at AFL.At Geelong it was unlikely when he was behind Taylor,Lonergan,Mackie,Rivers and co.
Good luck to him at the Dogs.

Sorry.....I was being sarcastic, it appears that it wasn't obvious.....there is almost nothing on the Geelong board about him coming to the Dogs and that's why I said it......:p

Uh...what?!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-02/greenwoods-macca-whack

I don't understand. I wish the kid all the best, and seriously hope he proves me wrong, but I see very few AFL qualities in him. His improvement has been fantastic, but I cannot see him realistically becoming an AFL player.

I don't agree. I reckon he's got a lot going for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he was picked up, but also if he's not. He's one of those guys that no one notices much.....a grey man of footy.

With Hamling now I'd probably prefer to skip on McDonald, at 26 and 27 now I'm hoping for Cockatoo and Menadue, those two have some huge upside and would just compliment our midfield perfectly both having elite speed but also pretty big and not afraid to tackle and win the hardball etc.

Would love those 2. But I agree I think they will pass on McDonald unless he's at pick 45 or 46.

I don't agree. I reckon he's got a lot going for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he was picked up, but also if he's not. He's one of those guys that no one notices much.....a grey man of footy.
When I watch him I see him as a valuable cog in a good VFL team; a serviceable inside-outside guy that can fill a variety of roles and not be a liability. But I just don't see how he can make it at AFL level. His skills are solid without being anything great; he isn't a brilliant inside ball-winner; he's not quick; he's not a goal-kicking threat while playing forward; he's quite short; and he doesn't really apply a heap of pressure. I truly do hope he proves me wrong as he's a great kid but I just can't see it.

LOVE the Hamling signing. Geelong fans were really surprised he was de - listed and said he was tracking well in the VFL and developing nicely. I am a big fan of the Biggs, Hamling, (looking at Harper) type moves, these guys could prove to be great depth signings and add some crucial talent with a few years development to our list. Think about who Biggs and Hamling have been battling and competing with every week at Sydney and Geelong.

Yeah, I don't really understand the point of the first list lodgement deadline, but it's not a hard deadline. I'm pretty sure you can even delist after the draft, actually (although it's a bit of a dick move).
You can delist after the draft. I remember a couple of years ago, the Saints told someone they would keep him on, and then delisted him after the draft which took away his chance to talk to other clubs and nominate for the ND. Huge dick move.

LOVE the Hamling signing. Geelong fans were really surprised he was de - listed and said he was tracking well in the VFL and developing nicely. I am a big fan of the Biggs, Hamling, (looking at Harper) type moves, these guys could prove to be great depth signings and add some crucial talent with a few years development to our list. Think about who Biggs and Hamling have been battling and competing with every week at Sydney and Geelong.

Hamling signing?

Have I missed something

You can delist after the draft. I remember a couple of years ago, the Saints told someone they would keep him on, and then delisted him after the draft which took away his chance to talk to other clubs and nominate for the ND. Huge dick move.
Yeah, I remember that; think it was Winmar. Can't remember if they changed the rules afterwards though. I know the AFLPA wanted the rule changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back