Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll permanently kill some clubs chances of ever being successful if it happens - particularly if they continue to reduce the time period before eligibility.... Which'll suits some clubs just fine.... Just not us...
true but it also enables clubs at the top to rebuild faster.
Its a total mess.

Suckling may be the perfect type for us to target. Young recruit, dispensable to hawks as they will have a salary cap press. Let's be honest they're all stars over there. Doesn't hurt our draft position and isn't such a freak that we'll have to worry about losing our young guns.

Noooooooooooo to Suckling. Not only is he suspect under pressure, but he has a serious degenerative knee injury. He could easily end up our backline equivalent of the Jade Rawlings recruitment.

Noooooooooooo to Suckling. Not only is he suspect under pressure, but he has a serious degenerative knee injury. He could easily end up our backline equivalent of the Jade Rawlings recruitment.
Where have you heard this about his knee?

Don't count on there being compo picks handed out for free agents walking next season. Steven leaving would kill st Kilda. He's underrated IMO. A beast.

Wood is a worry. Good player
Any talk of St.Kilda letting Steven go is ludicrous. He is the guy they will build around. Without him they are gws minus the talent.

Last edited:
Getting rid of the compo picks would destroy smaller/weaker clubs its lucky that most of them have really young age demographics atm, so most of their guns arent in the free agency in the near future. Whilst the criteria for compo picks is absolutely ludicrous compo picks just have to remain until all clubs are given equal opportunity to get the big name player through free agency. Still think we should go hard after steven in FA, would be such a valuble addition and I thought losing Griffen might kill us but within 24 hours I was proven very very wrong.
I disagree with this entirely. The only clubs that have lost free agents that they actually wanted to keep have been Hawthorn & Sydney (maybe Melbourne with Rivers & Carlton with Waite).

The 'struggling' clubs have simply pensioned off old or expendable guys for draft picks. If anything removing compensation will stop weaker clubs sacrificing short term competitiveness for long term prospects.

It will encourage teams to trade these types of players more, which is a much fairer system.

At the very least, we can count on the club to bite back.

Player movements are part of the nature of footy nowadays, and it'll affect all clubs, but I just don't want to see any more Bulldogs in their pathetic half-bleached safety vest.

Hopefully it all amounts to nothing and the boys re-sign. Wood was brilliant in 2014, and Dahlhaus is a well of untapped potential. We just need to keep them happy.

You'd think that if Dahl is offered much more money than we are prepared to offer (see Tom Boyd), and he was unhappy last season, the odds have to be stacked in favour of him leaving.

Any talk of St.Kilda letting Steven go is ludicrous. He is the guy they will build around. Without him they are gws minus the talent.
He's a free agent, they don't really have a say in it.

Of course St. Kilda won't let Steven go.

But he's a free agent, so if he gets a good deal somewhere else, and he should because he is a gun, he might decide to leave and St. Kilda are powerless.

And I will laugh.

But he's a free agent, so if he gets a good deal somewhere else, and he should because he is a gun, he might decide to leave and St. Kilda are powerless.

And I will laugh.

Free agency is awesome for the lower clubs...like ours!

And I will laugh.
He's a free agent, they don't really have a say in it.
Someone was suggesting a ways back that St.Kilda would be happy to let Steven walk for picks. I don't see it happening.

If Steven gets a superior offer from another club I will astounded. St.Kilda simply can not afford to lose him.

He is quick gets a lot of ball is a gun player but can't kick for s**t although he is a good set shot , Saints fans would take a top 3 pick for him I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo 6 plus griff was highway robbery

People forget - GWS didn't have to trade. Boyd rightly (through Pickering) acknowledged he would play out his contract and GWS could have spent 12 months negotiating the best deal at leisure.

I'm not angry Griff left us. I'm not happy about it but I'm understanding of his reasons. However. He deliberately cornholed our negotiating position right through the process. He was "pig hunting", "uncontactable" except when Macca was tossed out he miraculously, within 24 hours, was able to fire out a release that his position hadn't changed. The releases stated it was GWS or retire with no compensation - see Clarke for where that would have got us. He gutted us in every possible on his way out the door and for the filthy, despicable way he performed those acts during the final days of the trade period he deserves our righteous fury and utter condemnation. If I could erase his name from the annals of WBFC history I would be stoked to do so. Aker deserves more respect in his departure than Griffen does. Not a captains ahole.

That is why we had to satisfy GWS. We had limited manuverability thanks to our esteemed leaders managers deliberate, traitorous, methodical and just plain nasty undermining of us through the process. His tears in his press conference are the tears of a crocodile in my eyes. Hope he has to retire inside 18 months - prick.

Thank god for Murph that beautiful, magnificent man we are so lucky to have. We should be more thankful than I think many are that we have Matty Boyd - the captain who stood up through some tough, tough periods and who has watched his best mate traded out and still chugs on. He needs a big send off when he goes. And finally: he's to Tom Boyd. May he kick 1400 goals, may he play 300 games in the red, white and blue, may he kick 12 in a winning grand final v GWS and may he father many many sons when he finally retires!

Go dogs

People forget - GWS didn't have to trade. Boyd rightly (through Pickering) acknowledged he would play out his contract and GWS could have spent 12 months negotiating the best deal at leisure.

I'm not angry Griff left us. I'm not happy about it but I'm understanding of his reasons. However. He deliberately cornholed our negotiating position right through the process. He was "pig hunting", "uncontactable" except when Macca was tossed out he miraculously, within 24 hours, was able to fire out a release that his position hadn't changed. The releases stated it was GWS or retire with no compensation - see Clarke for where that would have got us. He gutted us in every possible on his way out the door and for the filthy, despicable way he performed those acts during the final days of the trade period he deserves our righteous fury and utter condemnation. If I could erase his name from the annals of WBFC history I would be stoked to do so. Aker deserves more respect in his departure than Griffen does. Not a captains ahole.

That is why we had to satisfy GWS. We had limited manuverability thanks to our esteemed leaders managers deliberate, traitorous, methodical and just plain nasty undermining of us through the process. His tears in his press conference are the tears of a crocodile in my eyes. Hope he has to retire inside 18 months - prick.

Thank god for Murph that beautiful, magnificent man we are so lucky to have. We should be more thankful than I think many are that we have Matty Boyd - the captain who stood up through some tough, tough periods and who has watched his best mate traded out and still chugs on. He needs a big send off when he goes. And finally: he's to Tom Boyd. May he kick 1400 goals, may he play 300 games in the red, white and blue, may he kick 12 in a winning grand final v GWS and may he father many many sons when he finally retires!

Go dogs
I meant highway robbery on our behalf...I would have given more haha

I meant highway robbery on our behalf...I would have given more haha
Fair enough, the whole roller coaster of emotions got to me anger at first
for five minutes then the euphoric what will we get for him. Followed by
the stand off and the harsh reality of the longer it went the worse the
bottom line was going to be. In a way if it was not for Griffen we had
no shot at getting Boyd. The past is the past time has come to focus
energy on the future.

I disagree with this entirely. The only clubs that have lost free agents that they actually wanted to keep have been Hawthorn & Sydney (maybe Melbourne with Rivers & Carlton with Waite).

The 'struggling' clubs have simply pensioned off old or expendable guys for draft picks. If anything removing compensation will stop weaker clubs sacrificing short term competitiveness for long term prospects.

It will encourage teams to trade these types of players more, which is a much fairer system.

Sorry, but what a load of fairyland stuff. Here's hoping 'Free Agency' goes the way of the dodo asap.
When has any lowly club benefited from FA ? They haven't and won't.
What star player from a top 4 club has elected to leave for a bottom end club ??? Zero. And this will continue to be the norm.

If FA is to remain a part of the AFL scene, it should be only on the following terms: No compensation applies if a player moves to a lower ranked club.
If a player moves to a richer, or higher ranked club, compensation should be assessed by the AFL, and paid to the club losing a player, and paid by the club
taking the player. Compensation to be in the form of appropriate draft picks from the club taking the player. IE if say a Collingwood, Hawthorn or Sydney type club took a player of Griffins standing and situation, then the compensation might be that club's next two first round draft picks, or current first and second round selections.
As to the salary cap equalizing the situation. Yeah and the proof of that theory is there for all to see. The poorer clubs are now winning an equal number of premiership cups as the rich ones...right ? Errr well not yet, but surely that is about to change...right ? Hmmmm.

Sorry, but what a load of fairyland stuff. Here's hoping 'Free Agency' goes the way of the dodo asap.
When has any lowly club benefited from FA ? They haven't and won't.
What star player from a top 4 club has elected to leave for a bottom end club ??? Zero. And this will continue to be the norm.

If FA is to remain a part of the AFL scene, it should be only on the following terms: No compensation applies if a player moves to a lower ranked club.
If a player moves to a richer, or higher ranked club, compensation should be assessed by the AFL, and paid to the club losing a player, and paid by the club
taking the player. Compensation to be in the form of appropriate draft picks from the club taking the player. IE if say a Collingwood, Hawthorn or Sydney type club took a player of Griffins standing and situation, then the compensation might be that club's next two first round draft picks, or current first and second round selections.
As to the salary cap equalizing the situation. Yeah and the proof of that theory is there for all to see. The poorer clubs are now winning an equal number of premiership cups as the rich ones...right ? Errr well not yet, but surely that is about to change...right ? Hmmmm.
Easiest free agency fix is to bar the Preliminary finalists from Free Agency.

Spot on. I have no doubt it will prove the greatest trade the club has ever done. A 15 year power forward for a 28yo mid and Marchbank (?). Masterstroke. Happy New Year!!!!!! :)
Until Shane Biggs wins the brownlow this year.;)
Do you really think we would have taken Marchbank?
We all hope you are right with Boyd a wise man once said if you must put
all your eggs in one basket, make it a big basket.
4 ,19+ Bugg & Buntine>>>> Griffen.
6, Griffen for Boyd. It's all history now only time will tell.

We were never getting 4 or 19. They were always going to trade 19+Jacksh for pick 7 which would have been the best pick that they would have given us. And of course they wouldn't have given us Buntine + Bugg+ 7 for just Griffen, they would have demanded pick 6.

Until Shane Biggs wins the brownlow this year.;)
Do you really think we would have taken Marchbank?
We all hope you are right with Boyd a wise man once said if you must put
all your eggs in one basket, make it a big basket.
4 ,19+ Bugg & Buntine>>>> Griffen.
6, Griffen for Boyd. It's all history now only time will tell.
No, I don't think we would have taken Marchbank but didn't GWS take him at 6? I couldn't remember and have no motivation to look it up ;). We would have taken Wright I believe.

Also I spoke with the bird the other day. Nothing really good came out of it except that Bonts has really shown great leadership and is taking some of the younger guys under his wing. I haven't met him but he's an absolute stand out for future leadership. Thought you guys might like to hear that. I might go down to training in January. Haven't been for ages and want to see Caleb for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back