Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we got a player who is a large upgrade on Redpath then prepare to out lay 700k + a season. I was happy and all for the risk we took for Boyd and in my view is 100% being vindicated. But are we prepared to throw another big contract at someone who can play CHF and ruck at an A grade level. Well we will be robbing peter to pay paul.

and then if we go to the draft to find a CHF are we happy to throw a first round pick on a CHF/ruck who falls outside the top ten where our pick will probably fall?? Dal has shown an aversion to draft talls to the club and we have other areas to fix (KPD and outside silk).
how many good kpps have came up since he has been drafting? A good few are playing pretty meh in the seconds & do we really want a tall when he's not the best available for the sake of been tall? Hmm

how many good kpps have came up since he has been drafting? A good few are playing pretty meh in the seconds & do we really want a tall when he's not the best available for the sake of been tall? Hmm

We need to fix other areas like our outside runners and KPD stocks, he isn't going to draft a CHF/2nd ruck (well it would be a bit silly in my view when we have little depth in other areas) particularly if they are a reach at the pick.

I guess you rate Red much higher than I do. He just doesn't seem to have the dexterity and strength to be a good contested mark or the agility or forward craft to break away from his defender to mark in front. Walker is like a better Campbell, has endurance, can pack mark and can ruck. Red can't really do any of that, he's like a tall slow midfielder with decent field kicking.

He is an upgrade but I don't see the point in getting him. This reminds me of White a few years ago. DO NOT WANT.

I would love to try and get a few more 2nd - 4th round picks. Dalrymple has earned it after the last draft and his previous picks over the last few years. We have a gold producing cow here, need to milk it while it's hot and keep us in good stead for the next 6-8 years +.

Josh Walker from Geelong as a second string ruckman/CHF? Be an upgrade on Campbell and only early 20's.

Think he's out of contract?
He is and word on our board is he will ask to be traded for better opportunities.

I don't mind Walker as I've said before. He is an upgrade on Redpath, he'd be cheap and I doubt we'd have to trade much to land him. However, I do understand the argument that we should just keep our powder dry for now until someone significantly better comes along.

I definitely agree that it isn't a priority for us. Although I prioritise outside runners over KPD. Talia needs time. He'll be fine. Hamling and Roberts showing plenty. Wood killing it. JJ carving up teams like a roast chicken. That's not to mention guys like Webb and Roughead who are capable down there and after another two games we'll have a trio of 200 gamers down there.

Talia will stay guys, he's in the 2s because HE lacked confidence, not the club lacked confidence in him. I'm confident he stays and I believe he'll be playing this week for Moz.

Pann might be a bit of an unpopular opinion on here that I'm suggesting but if Talia were to play well this weekend and cement a spot, that for the rest of the season Morris should be overlooked in favour of Roberts, Talia and Hamling.

Hamling is on record saying that he prefers to play on the mid sized more athletic types rather than the big forwards and having 3 194cm + KPD's gives us options. Morris as good, brave and valuable as he has been really shouldn't be playing on those types any longer and I like the flexibility that Talia, Roberts and Hamling would provide us.

I guess you rate Red much higher than I do. He just doesn't seem to have the dexterity and strength to be a good contested mark or the agility or forward craft to break away from his defender to mark in front. Walker is like a better Campbell, has endurance, can pack mark and can ruck. Red can't really do any of that, he's like a tall slow midfielder with decent field kicking.
I think you've read this the wrong way Cori. Redpath had the ability to get separation on the lead and if the game was played like that he'd be fine. He kicks it well and he has good hands on the lead BUT our forward entries do not suit the Barry Hall type forward. My concern with him is fitting into the way we play. He's not great under the high ball, even though he took a couple of good marks on the wing and that is the way we play, which highlighted to me just how good Boyd has been this year.

I don't mind Walker as I've said before. He is an upgrade on Redpath, he'd be cheap and I doubt we'd have to trade much to land him. However, I do understand the argument that we should just keep our powder dry for now until someone significantly better comes along.

I definitely agree that it isn't a priority for us. Although I prioritise outside runners over KPD. Talia needs time. He'll be fine. Hamling and Roberts showing plenty. Wood killing it. JJ carving up teams like a roast chicken. That's not to mention guys like Webb and Roughead who are capable down there and after another two games we'll have a trio of 200 gamers down there.

Don't think we will/can land another potential A grade KPF without it causing serious issues to other areas of the ground. Even when Hawthorn had Franklin, Roughead and Gunston they still didn't have the ruck quality or defensive strength to win a premiership (2011 - 2012). But they had the salary cap to get Lake (ala fix the schoenmakers dilemma) to deliver that final ingredient.

If we go down the path of drafting another first round KPF/offering a big contract to someone like Peter Wright, I fear we will become like Hawthorn (2011 - 2012) with a gun forward line and midfield yet lacking the ruck stock and defensive firepower to win a premiership and lacking the cap space to bring trade in players who can cover these areas like the hawks managed to do in 2013 and beyond.

Consensus at the Lions is Leuenberger will leave at the end of the year as a free agent. Think he would be a great fit at the Bulldogs, showed how dominant he can be as the 1st ruck yesterday. What do you think he's worth to your club in terms of contract length and salary? Think he's on 600k or close to that with us, if we didn't have Martin we would be offering him similar money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Wright perfectly suits our needs. Doubt the salary to lure him home would blow a hole in the budget but like you say, we've got bigger fish to fry. Anyone got some suggestions for outside speed? Colyer?

I think you've read this the wrong way Cori. Redpath had the ability to get separation on the lead and if the game was played like that he'd be fine. He kicks it well and he has good hands on the lead BUT our forward entries do not suit the Barry Hall type forward. My concern with him is fitting into the way we play. He's not great under the high ball, even though he took a couple of good marks on the wing and that is the way we play, which highlighted to me just how good Boyd has been this year.
He got pushed out of position quite regularly on the weekend and I've spent a lot of time watching him at VFL level which he excelled in last year. I just can't see him making the transition to playing against AFL defenders.

You're right that his play style doesn't suit our forward 50 delivery. Can't judge or hold the drop of the ball like Boyd can. I still feel Walker would be a huge upgrade and at worst would be depth if we were to invest in someone like McKay in this year's draft.

Peter Wright perfectly suits our needs. Doubt the salary to lure him home would blow a hole in the budget but like you say, we've got bigger fish to fry. Anyone got some suggestions for outside speed? Colyer?
I would seriously love Peter Wright. Won't happen this year but if he holds out on contract talks next year and wants to come home to Melbourne. Jeez. Get on it.

Pann might be a bit of an unpopular opinion on here that I'm suggesting but if Talia were to play well this weekend and cement a spot, that for the rest of the season Morris should be overlooked in favour of Roberts, Talia and Hamling.

Hamling is on record saying that he prefers to play on the mid sized more athletic types rather than the big forwards and having 3 194cm + KPD's gives us options. Morris as good, brave and valuable as he has been really shouldn't be playing on those types any longer and I like the flexibility that Talia, Roberts and Hamling would provide us.
I think for sure that Talia will have a more regular position once Moz retires. Similar players but Moz has more credits in the bank.

Consensus at the Lions is Leuenberger will leave at the end of the year as a free agent. Think he would be a great fit at the Bulldogs, showed how dominant he can be as the 1st ruck yesterday. What do you think he's worth to your club in terms of contract length and salary? Think he's on 600k or close to that with us, if we didn't have Martin we would be offering him similar money.
If he was 23 I'd agree, but his age is against him for us IMO
Will take 4 years though
He got pushed out of position quite regularly on the weekend and I've spent a lot of time watching him at VFL level which he excelled in last year. I just can't see him making the transition to playing against AFL defenders.

You're right that his play style doesn't suit our forward 50 delivery. Can't judge or hold the drop of the ball like Boyd can. I still feel Walker would be a huge upgrade and at worst would be depth if we were to invest in someone like McKay in this year's draft.
I agree. I made that point, but my criticism of him isn't around his speed off the mark or his hands of kicking.

Really really hope you're right. I'll be very relieved when I hear it but the more and more his name gets thrown up the more worried I get.
Talia had the chance last year to leave but stayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back