Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I do have to say if we were getting the same player from any other club than Hawthorn, I'd be fuming.
But Suckling's a premiership player and has played under the best coach of the modern generation. That's very important for professionalism and tactical reasons, so I can begrudgingly accept us giving what I believe to be a distinctly average, unexceptional player a decent contract.

Not a whipping boy, guys just giving their opinions on where they think he is at and where they see him fitting or not fitting in. I think we need a different type of player. If we get those types as well as him then fine.
As a matter of interest who do we have under the age of 30 that can play his role given that he has played that role well in finals including a Grand Final and has actual winning Grand Final Experience

Agree. Fumbles under pressure, cannot defend and doesn't win his own ball. I'm not sure this can be turned around but I trust Bev knows him best and have confidence in his decisions. I hope we're not making a trade to show that players want to join the Dogs.

Happy to trade for an A grader that meets our needs or even a young B grader who has potential to become A grade.

I would rather back the development of our younger players who show so much promise.
You do know we are not trading for him

Yeah trade radio really highlights the embarrassing lack of football knowledge and intelligence that afl journalists posess.
The Bont only had 2nd year blues when you consider that due to his Holy Bontlyness he is held to a completely different standard to those other mere mortals. 13 Brownlow votes for a 19 year is outstanding on anyone's measure, Nat Fyfe did it in 2011 and he is fairly handy.

Thinking about the Adelaide final and wondering how the result looks if the balls in Sucklings hands rather than Grants...

Does he kick both goals? Drives it deeper when running through the middle?

The Bont only had 2nd year blues when you consider that due to his Holy Bontlyness he is held to a completely different standard to those other mere mortals. 13 Brownlow votes for a 19 year is outstanding on anyone's measure, Nat Fyfe did it in 2011 and he is fairly handy.

Ordinary call by Cam.

So picking up Matty Suckling for nothing to replace Jarrad Grant is an absolutely terrible move apparently. I'm by no means a fan of his but come on, it's a no brainer surely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Thanks Cam Luke! Bont having second year blues! Really needed a laugh and you delivered :thumbsu:

In terms of players being mentioned:
Suckling I'm not worried either way, we don't get him all good, we do same.
Lake is a no for me, play Roberts and Hamling as much as possible. Hopefully Cordy comes on a bit. No short term fixes for me, it's about the long sustained game. In terms of him coming in coaching definitely can't see it hurting for our kpp players at both ends.

GWS would be crazy to accept that. Need higher picks or another first rounder.

The fact that it's not ridiculous to compare Bont's second season to Judd, Pendlebury, Fyfe and Martin (incredible second year) and that he was the youngest of the bunch means if he had second year blues he's on track to be the best midfielder of the modern era.

I'm not saying that's going to happen, just it's ridiculous to say he had a down second year.

I'm obviously undervaluing McCarthy. I agree he's probably worth a first rounder, not 2.

Maybe 1+steak knives?

Then again, Freo have a woeful record at attracting decent forwards. They probably have to pay overs

I do have to say if we were getting the same player from any other club than Hawthorn, I'd be fuming.
But Suckling's a premiership player and has played under the best coach of the modern generation. That's very important for professionalism and tactical reasons, so I can begrudgingly accept us giving what I believe to be a distinctly average, unexceptional player a decent contract.

If I can intrude for a comment, I actually think signing Suckling is a smart move by the Dogs. He does have his critics, and it is true he is an icing-on-the-cake player, not the cake itself. However he is deceptively quick, can play forward or back, and will add polish to a Dogs team that in my opinion has plenty of grunt and inside ball winners.

He has provided highlights and joy to us Hawk fans, and contributed to our success. He deserves more money than we can offer, and I wish him well. Personally I would much rather see him play good footy for you guys than for some other clubs I could mention...

So - enjoy his penetrating left foot and best wishes for next year.

You do know we are not trading for him

Sure do, but he still takes a position and wants $400k pa. I don't see him as an A grader or a B grader with potential to be A grade so I don't understand the need to have him. IMO our list is fantastic and we shouldn't need to recruit C grade players.

From my perspective would rather develop what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back